Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Default Most Over Hyped Actor and Actress (in Your Opinion)

It's a tie between Tom Hardy and Vin Diesel. Every role from James Bond to Wolverine to the Inhumans has either Hardy of Diesel rumored for the lead. The actress has to be Emma Watson.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    It's a tie between Tom Hardy and Vin Diesel. Every role from James Bond to Wolverine to the Inhumans has either Hardy of Diesel rumored for the lead. The actress has to be Emma Watson.
    Since Wolverine is now a girl let Emma be Girlverine and give the role of Medusa to Vin Diesel. I can't come up with a Tom Hardy Joke help me out, please

Probably something about mumbling lines will do.

Can't say I've seen anything Emma Watson was in apart from the Harry Potter movies, though I hear she cameos in some film I walked out of pretty early because it was so unfunny and terrible. "Yeah, she was in it after you left, as herself, and the lead characters try to rape her. It's played for laughs." Okay.
    I'll go out on a limb and suggest she probably wasn't the worst thing about that movie.

I've always been quite impressed by Tom Hardy so I've got no issues with him.

Emma Watson is perfectly fine in Harry Potter films which is the only place I've seen her. That puts her way ahead of Daniel Radcliffe. Seems like a nice guy, but he can't act to save his life.

Neither can Orlando Bloom.

Oh and Tom Cruise may not be a bad actor per-se, but him being in a film will put me off the film

BANNED

I don't know, a lot of them are either hired on because they can do the bare minimum but are absolutely gorgeous (see the Jessica Albas and Natalie Portmans of the world) and some have had one or two decent performances in the last decade or two and are coasting on reputation (see Robert Deniro, Al Pacino, etc.).

Then there are folks that seem to be pretty popular and show up in everything for a while before petering out (see Shia Lebouf, Seth Rogen, Kevin Hart). Actors who seem fine, but not someone I want to see on the big screen seven times a year.

But they all have their fans, they all make studios money (and if they don't chances are it's less on them and more on the concept and budget), and all keep getting work. So who am I to judge?

Wow, I can't believe somebody just used Natalie Portman and Jessica Alba in the same sentence when describing acting chops, I think Portman is a phenomenal actress.

That being said, I'll go with Channing Tatum (not one believable word comes out of his mouth), and Mila Kunis(gorgeous but can't act her way out of a wet paper bag imo.)

BANNED

Idris Elba - he's a C list at best actor who too many are putting out there to be the next everything.

Jennifer Lawrence - she's good but you would think she was the second coming the way the media fawns over her.

Jennifer Lawrence - I can't believe she's been nominated for anything. Just terrible.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Incredible Member

Benedict Cumberbatch

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Jennifer Lawrence - I can't believe she's been nominated for anything. Just terrible.

Came here to post this. I don't get it. At all.

I don't like Kerry Washington in Scandal at all. At least not season 2 (couldn't make it any farther than that)
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I like Tom Hardy and for what he's been apart of I like Tatum O.K. too. I don't think Tatum has ruined a project like Keanu Reeves did in Bram Stoker's Dracula or anything.

My one is Scarlett Johanson, I get it- she's got a great rack and nice eyes. She comes across as so damn dry in everything, I mean she was O.K. in Cool World but she's been playing a version of that character in everything. Now she's going to be in Ghost in the Shell? Freakin' kidding me. I like her Widow O.K. but she's not required to be 1980's Sally Field in the MCU anyway.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I like Tom Hardy and for what he's been apart of I like Tatum O.K. too. I don't think Tatum has ruined a project like Keanu Reeves did in Bram Stoker's Dracula or anything.

My one is Scarlett Johanson, I get it- she's got a great rack and nice eyes. She comes across as so damn dry in everything, I mean she was O.K. in Cool World but she's been playing a version of that character in everything. Now she's going to be in Ghost in the Shell? Freakin' kidding me. I like her Widow O.K. but she's not required to be 1980's Sally Field in the MCU anyway.
    Tom Hardy- Warrior- great movie
    Scarlett Johanson- Lost in translation/Scoop- great (and really hot, too) aside from that she's in too many movies
    Idris Elba- not his fault that he's popular, I like him
    Cumberbatch/Lawrence- undecided

Just because actors are popular doesn't make them suck

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    Wow, I can't believe somebody just used Natalie Portman and Jessica Alba in the same sentence when describing acting chops, I think Portman is a phenomenal actress.

That being said, I'll go with Channing Tatum (not one believable word comes out of his mouth), and Mila Kunis(gorgeous but can't act her way out of a wet paper bag imo.)
    I'll bite, where's her chops? As pedo-bait in "the Professional"? Does fine for a child actress, but if we were going to make a list of overhyped movies that'd be on mine. Doing her best impression of a wooden statue in just about every other movie on list of credits outside of "Garden State" or "Your Highness" (where she's just annoying, but not compelling in the slightest)? The movie she was nominated for she got acted circles around by Meg from Family Guy. Seriously, I see better acting on SyFy's TV lineup than I see from her.

I mean no insult to Kat Dennings, but when she stands out as 3-dimensional and interesting in the Thor movies because her main competition is Natalie Portman and a grunting Sif that should say something. I'll give ScarJo credit, she's the same way but she used it to her advantage in "Under the Skin".

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I'll bite, where's her chops? As pedo-bait in "the Professional"? Does fine for a child actress, but if we were going to make a list of overhyped movies that'd be on mine. Doing her best impression of a wooden statue in just about every other movie on list of credits outside of "Garden State" or "Your Highness" (where she's just annoying, but not compelling in the slightest)? The movie she was nominated for she got acted circles around by Meg from Family Guy. Seriously, I see better acting on SyFy's TV lineup than I see from her.

I mean no insult to Kat Dennings, but when she stands out as 3-dimensional and interesting in the Thor movies because her main competition is Natalie Portman and a grunting Sif that should say something. I'll give ScarJo credit, she's the same way but she used it to her advantage in "Under the Skin".
    I thought her performances in Black Swan, The Other Boleyn Girl and The Other Woman were all very good. I don't think the always chooses the best roles, but when she is given an opportunity to shine, I believe she does. You are entitled to your opinion (though I think the SyFy knock is a bit ridiculous), I was just surprised by it. She's no Cate blanchett, but I think she's far better than Jessica Alba.
    Last edited by Detox; 01-29-2016 at 10:49 AM.

BANNED

I think they both rely on the wooden blank face and occasional smile. That's great for models, and it's fine to have "eye-candy" if that's what sells, but it's not good acting. There are young and beautiful women who also seem to be able to emote and make me forget who they are (or at least engage in the story and not wonder why they haven't changed expression or tone for the majority of the movie). I have nothing against Portman in general, but I don't get the hype for her "talent" when I honestly don't see much difference in her acting range with the Albas of the world.

It goes against conventional wisdom, but I'd say Lindsay Lohan (to give an example of an actress who's looked down upon, in contrast to Portman's inexplicably untouchable reputation) in "Mean Girls" was more impressive than anything I've ever seen out of Portman or likely ever will.