Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Over-Hyped Actress: Katie Cassidy - Sorry but I think she's awful
    Is she really over hyped, though? I like her fine enough, even if I'm fully aware she's not a good actress, but I've always found people railing against her acting ability. But that's just my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    I agree with Jennifer Lawrence tbh. She's not actually bad but she lacks range and subtlety: she either looks completely stoic or shouts out her emotions. Still, she's young and she can act, so I'm excited to see where she goes.

Scarlett Johansson is another one: she's really hit-or-miss. She's good in her indie projects (Under The Skin, Lost In Translation, Don Jon, Girl With The Pearl Earring) and she's pretty good as Black Widow, but then she's also given some pretty terrible performances (her Woody Allen movies, The Island, We Bought A Zoo - horrible flick, etc...). I wish she'd be a bit more consistent.

Eddie Redmayne: again not terrible, but he never really disappears into a role imo. Same with Tom Cruise, Ben Affleck, RDJ, etc...

Natalie Portman has more bad performances than good ones. Definitely overrated.
    Emma Watson is a terrible actress (as much as I love Harry Potter).
    Holy crap. I agree with every single person on your list. The only person I don't much mind is Portman. She's always been O.K. for me. Not good, definitely not great, just O.K.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I don't like Kerry Washington in Scandal at all. At least not season 2 (couldn't make it any farther than that)
    This hurts me as a Kerry and Scandal fan, but I can't say I disagree. She usually hams it up, which is essential on Scandal, but her roles before the show seemed more sincere. Like she was actually trying, which isn't the impression I get when I watch Scandal. Funny enough, I thought she was better in the earlier seasons, so you didn't miss any improvements in her abilities bailing in Season 2 xD

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    Is she really over hyped, though? I like her fine enough, even if I'm fully aware she's not a good actress, but I've always found people railing against her acting ability. But that's just my experience.
    I've been on YouTube. And the way some people talk about her you'd think she was the best actress of all-time LOL. Hell, I've seen some stuff in movie and tv magazines that make her out to be awesome as well as some blogs. I thought I was in the minority which is why I said ''Sorry but I think she's awful'' when I listed her LOL.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Denzel Washington. I don't see the appeal. The only film I've ever seen him in was The Equalizer, and that was because it was based on one of my all time favorite TV shows. He's been in the business for what, well over twenty years, and he's only won one Best Actor Oscar? Unimpressive if you ask me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Denzel Washington. I don't see the appeal. The only film I've ever seen him in was The Equalizer, and that was because it was based on one of my all time favorite TV shows. He's been in the business for what, well over twenty years, and he's only won one Best Actor Oscar? Unimpressive if you ask me.
    Only one? LOL There's a lot of actors who would love to ''only win one'' LOL including actors that you really like by the way LOL.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Two Oscars. Best actor for Training Day and best supporting actor for Glory.

BANNED

and Olivia Munn.

She's hot, but that's it really.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Two Oscars. Best actor for Training Day and best supporting actor for Glory.
    Two, eh? I stand corrected.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence, Johnny Depp (Gone are the 90's), Oh and Jennifer Aniston.
    Last edited by Vinsanity; 02-03-2016 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    True enough, but the fact was she had talent. She could play straight, she could be funny, she could emote. Portman (my overhyped actress example) seems to either play straight/wooden with the occasional smile (to show happiness/pleasure) for 90% of her appearances or does her best impression of a human being when she's trying to be funny/out there.

I'd put Will Smith in the Pacino category. Coasting on rep at this point. Think about who he was when he filmed "Six Degrees of Separation" and how impressive that performance (as a gay man in the middle of the AIDS crisis and in the machismo world of rap) was, he's unquestionably talented. But then he got Independence Day and figured out you could make 20 million a go shouting out catchphrases and being funny/macho. So I don't blame him there.
    Will Smith being Deadshot and in Concussion is pretty low key especially the latter. I wouldn't say over hyped since the latter movie hasn't been hyped imo.

I'd pile on the Idris. I've seen him in a decent amount of roles now and he just seems like a guy to me. Perfectly capable, but if his name didn't come up on "Best" lists all over the place I'd probably never give him more thought than I do Jeremy Renner (who isn't nearly as hyped, but somehow seems to find himself in major franchises and movies all of the time despite having little or no charisma).
    Renner is amazing in The Town. I don't think he is over hyped, I think there is little hype with him. I mean other than Hawkeye and Agent Brandt, can you recall his film roles?

Tom Cruise people saying he's the same person should watch Born in the 4th of July, he should have won an Oscar but when you're up against Daniel Day-Lewis....He was also great in Collateral as Vincent. Being evil and of course Tropic Thunder. Ben Affleck I feel has had great roles in not so big movies also is an amazing director.
    Last edited by Vinsanity; 02-03-2016 at 02:23 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Will Smith being Deadshot and in Concussion is pretty low key especially the latter. I wouldn't say over hyped since the latter movie hasn't been hyped imo.

Renner is amazing in The Town. I don't think he is over hyped, I think there is little hype with him. I mean other than Hawkeye and Agent Brandt, can you recall his film roles?

Tom Cruise people saying he's the same person should watch Born in the 4th of July, he should have won an Oscar but when you're up against Daniel Day-Lewis....He was also great in Collateral as Vincent. Being evil and of course Tropic Thunder. Ben Affleck I feel has had great roles in not so big movies also is an amazing director.
    Renner: other than being part of the blockbuster Avengers and Mission Impossible franchises, can I recall? Sure, he was also Damon's replacement in the Bourne series and was in the Hurt Locker. He also seems to pop up all of the time. He's fine, but to me he's just another guy. Doesn't seem to have much charisma or "it" factor. Seems to get work though, so he must be professional and a nice guy.

Cruise: I love him best as an absolute prick in "Rain Man". Probably my favorite movie of his.

Smith: Deadshot isn't really low-key, he'll be the selling point when that starts revving up more. He's the name. And maybe my view of "Concussion" is skewed a bit, I'm both an NFL and a Doug Benson fan (Tell de Troof!)

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

I will agree with Scarlet Johannsen (though she has been in some great films). Yeah and Jeremy Renner. Which is why I yawn at the thought of Hawkeye and/or Black Widow solo movies.

Also Miles Teller ( the new Shia Lebeuf - they want to stick him in everything)
    Oh and Jonah Hill
    Last edited by wonderlad; 02-03-2016 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Idris Elba - he's a C list at best actor who too many are putting out there to be the next everything.

Jennifer Lawrence - she's good but you would think she was the second coming the way the media fawns over her.
    Agreed.
    Elba's good but he's just got the same deadpan expression and acting chops in all of his roles. Luther, Ultraviolet, Beasts of No Nation (slightly) but it's just the same. There's nothing new in his game.

Lawrence had one good role and that was Winter's Bone. Aside from that, don't see the appeal of her.

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Benedict Cumberbatch
    Like Elba, its the same thing. There's nothing new in his roles. He's playing himself..not much a stretch. Way overhyped.
    Cats, Comics, & Pie......
    www.dubipr.tumblr.com

Renner: other than being part of the blockbuster Avengers and Mission Impossible franchises, can I recall? Sure, he was also Damon's replacement in the Bourne series and was in the Hurt Locker. He also seems to pop up all of the time. He's fine, but to me he's just another guy. Doesn't seem to have much charisma or "it" factor. Seems to get work though, so he must be professional and a nice guy.

Cruise: I love him best as an absolute prick in "Rain Man". Probably my favorite movie of his.

Smith: Deadshot isn't really low-key, he'll be the selling point when that starts revving up more. He's the name. And maybe my view of "Concussion" is skewed a bit, I'm both an NFL and a Doug Benson fan (Tell de Troof!)
    See the thing with Renner is when he is ever hyped? Except for Bourne, I don't remember any hyping. MI was Tom Cruise and Simon Pegg and Avengers is the others except for him. He was in the Hurt Locker and not many can remember. Renner is under hyped considering the big franchises he is in.

BANNED

Agree to disagree I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    That Deer Hunter clip is a perfect example of how he cries badly; Christopher Walken was amazing though.
    What does "not crying badly" look like in the context of having just watched a friend shoot himself in the head?