Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think he's referring to Croc's use in Batman Eternal.
    And the Forever Evil/Villain's Month "Killer Croc # 1" issue.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Well, I've always loved Croc with a tail. Don't know why though. Maybe it's because a more monstrous appearance really brings out the contrast between his human side and the way everyone has acted towards him in the past; treating him like this man-eating, disgusting, aquatic reptile with no semblance to mankind so much that finally . . . he becomes one. I think he finds comfort in conforming to what everyone else believes about him. Living the dark, green waters below the city, a true monster lurking in the shadows. I think he likes to think of himself that way, always going into detail when reminding Batman of how he will devour him and everything he holds dear.

Occasionally, glimpses of his fleeting humanity will seep through the cracks. Like in some stories, when he stands up for those who have also been similarly abused and mistreated. Or when he holds doctors hostage so that they can "fix" him. But ultimately . . . his wild, animal instincts take over and he just vows to eat everyone.

But Bruce will always call him a "he." And it's one of the many reasons I love Batman.

Anytime someone makes him too human, I think it's being unfaithful to his personality and how he views himself. A wild, abused animal can be just as complex and interesting as a criminal mastermind. Besides, Batman has sooooo many of those, it's nice to see some horror motifs imbedded in his mythos. Croc can also serve as an inverse to Man-bat. Human turned monster, but in very different ways (Croc being more shunned from society and now a true being of carnage and fear, Manbat being living tragedy, almost a Greek fable, like Prometheus or Sisyphus; cursed to re-enounter his torture over and over again no matter how many cures are found).
    Last edited by Unfinishedsentenc; 01-31-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unfinishedsentenc View Post
    But Bruce will always call him a "he." And it's one of the many reasons I love Batman.
    Yeah, always like being reminded that Bruce is not about beating up people less rich than him. Sometimes compassion shines through (and not just the I won't kill you routine)

Didn't like what they did to Croc in Batwoman. Where came the idea for that from?

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Killer Croc is in the upper echelon of Batman enemies. It might not come across that way, but in terms of name recognition - especially thanks to the Arkham games - he outstrips all but the biggest villains at this point. I'd say he's probably better known at this point by the general public than Clayface, Man-Bat or Deadshot. But his role is, universally, "the big dude for Batman to take down before fighting the real guys". I hadn't known he'd ever been anything else until I read a piece of Jason Todd's original origin, where he was shown as a scaly-skinned gangster. Generic, but immediately more interesting and promising than the regular guy had ever been; Mark Waid couldn't even do a good comic with that guy.

Should that be the gimmick to finally make something worthwhile of the character? A 10-foot, green-skinned tuxedoed madman with a taste for human flesh who nevertheless manages to get out solid instructions for his lieutenants to carry out between his roaring and occasional devouring of random henchmen, and fancies himself the underground King of Gotham and Batman's rival. Kingpin as black comedy. Any takers?
    Well, considering how bad Waid is at writing villains in a DC/Marvel environment, I can't say I'm surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    For me this is why Tim Seeley's recent 'best of both worlds' version is the best Croc since the early 80s, or at least the Animated Series. Because it combines 'mob boss' Croc with "The Under Dwellers". Perfection, in my book.
    Agreed. Now, if writers could stick with that interpretation and not just make Croc someone for Batman to punch in the first act of a story that doesn't directly concern him, we'd really be going somewhere.

BTW, I also think that it would be a neat idea to leave Croc's status as a cannibal up in the air. He might brag about eating people left and right as a scare tactic, but is should never really be confirmed one way or the other. Makes him look smart as a character, adds a bit of mystery, and also makes him a bit easier to buy as a good guy for the stories when he's more sympathetic.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Worst versions would be the "I'll suck the meat from your bones" Croc or Azzarello's Pimp Croc in Broken City

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Worst versions would be the "I'll suck the meat from your bones" Croc or Azzarello's Pimp Croc in Broken City
    I thought Pimp Croc was the bomb in Broken City, yo! It's admittedly not in line with my above mentioned preferred take on him, but if you're going to write Croc as a straight up thug there are few funnier ways of doing it. Azzarello does seem to be a pretty big fan of Croc, as he uses him fairly significantly in Broken City, Joker, Knight of Vengeance and Batman Europa.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Not sure why everyone wants every Batman villain to be a good guy
    Its basically turning them all into woobies for Batman to punch at the end of the day

His name is Killer Croc you aren't going to get by with saying "oh he's just like the Hulk in that one story, he doesn't really eat people"

People don't have this problem with King Shark who is a shark man who eats people and sometimes feels bad about it but can't fight his urges all the time.

Extraordinary Member

Why not. Its fun to see a killer crocodile in charge of a crime organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Not sure why everyone wants every Batman villain to be a good guy
    Its basically turning them all into woobies for Batman to punch at the end of the day

His name is Killer Croc you aren't going to get by with saying "oh he's just like the Hulk in that one story, he doesn't really eat people"

People don't have this problem with King Shark who is a shark man who eats people and sometimes feels bad about it but can't fight his urges all the time.
    Making them more sympathetic doesn't mean making them good guys. A lot of Batman villains these days just feel like Joker in a different skin.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Is this real?
    Yeah it was from Red Hood and the Outlaws and it was amazing.

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. V (July 1985)

Mighty Member

Isn't Croc supposedly sane?

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

I certainly wouldn't object to Killer Croc being portrayed as a crime boss again, The stories that portrayed him that way were some of his absolute best. If anyone saw fit to do another story about someone taking over the Gotham underworld, I'd prefer him to the overrated Black Mask.

Mighty Member

You know, I've read Croc's original appearances and I can say they were indeed some of his best. The crime boss he started to work for didn't think much of him and he was constantly undermined and thought of as a dumb beast, a stupid thug. There's similarities to the Penguin in the fact that they are both underestimated; in that Penguin is thought to not be as much of a threat, where's Croc is thought to be a mindless goon, dumb muscle to be used. There is quite a few stories that can be told from that. There have been some that utilize people using Croc as muscle like that one I think that was in Joker's Asylum, where he was used by a mob family (as muscle) where they eventually betray him. Croc wants to be respected, his looks and build definitely have people have a certain perception of him.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

They need to follow "The Batman" and make Killer Croc like that version.