Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

Default Star Wars Canon Wishlist

So, whenever Disney announced the whole Canon / Legends situation (see here for those unfamiliar), part of me was excited because in the past I had been frustrated by contradictions in various EU content, but it also raised the possibility that some of the characters, planets, organizations, and species that I have grown attached to are potentially on the chopping block. While many characters like Jacen and Jaina Solo have been undone by the new canon (I never really got into the New Republic stuff, thankfully), a lot of it has become canon: Black Sun, Manaan/Selkath, Chiss, the appearance of Bothans, Kothlis, Nar Shaddaa, etc. After the news, I was most disappointed that the events of the Shadows of the Empire and Force Unleashed multimedia events were not canon. I can see why they don't want to pick and choose from EU content and just uncanonized all of it, but there are a lot of elements that I don't want to disappear that I hope can survive just like Black Sun and Nar Shaddaa even if they're altered in some ways.
    But anyway, my question to you is what are your top characters, planets, organizations, things, concepts, events, etc. that you hope survive into the new canon in a future comic? Hopefully this is an opportunity to be heard, and some creators will stumble across this thread and take action. Discuss as you want, but also include a list of 5-10 characters that are in danger of being abandoned that you most want to see appear in some fashion at least. You can tell if something is canon or not by utilizing Wookieepedia.

Characters
    1. Prince Xizor
    2. Galen Marek aka Starkiller
    3. Dash Rendar
    4. Bastila Shan
    5. Mara Jade
    6. Darth Revan
    7. Grand Admiral Thrawn

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

1 - Grand Admiral Thrawn (I am still hoping that Benicio Del Toro is playing a version of Thrawn in Episode 8)
    2 - Zayne Carrick (Knight of the Old Republic comic)
    3 - Nomi Sunrider (Tales of the Jedi comic)
    4 - Ulic Qel-Droma (Tales of the Jedi comic)
    5 - Exar Kun (Tales of the Jedi comic)

I just really want a lot of the Old Republic stuff used again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    1 - Grand Admiral Thrawn (I am still hoping that Benicio Del Toro is playing a version of Thrawn in Episode 8)
    2 - Zayne Carrick (Knight of the Old Republic comic)
    3 - Nomi Sunrider (Tales of the Jedi comic)
    4 - Ulic Qel-Droma (Tales of the Jedi comic)
    5 - Exar Kun (Tales of the Jedi comic)

I just really want a lot of the Old Republic stuff used again.
    I agree. Thawn is too great a character to just toss away. I've totally come to terms with the old EU stuff being Legends, but I hope some version of them still lives on.

All-New Member

I think that is what they are doing...I think they thought it was easier. Instead of wading through bit by bit to decide which was canon and which was not...just make a clean break. Movies and TV were canon. Everything else was not. Then when they create new stories and authors want to use things, they can decide then and there if they want to re-canonize it. I have a feeling a LOT will eventually be recanonized - especially the stuff that is pre RotJ.

I mean everything post HAS to change at this point and that is a TON of stuff yes...but even then we will see newer versions of it. I mean you said that jacen and jaina were undone. Well kind of. Ben basically is having Jacen's arc of sorts.....so it's more of a reimagining.

The other problem is people will have WAY different wants and needs...like OP for example..Xizor and Dash? I consider them to be some of the worst drivel of the EU. Shadows was AWFUL and Dash is the single most annoyingly replacement character in the history of characters. Dash is basically Vance and Coy Duke to Han's Luke and Bo.

Vader's apprentice is alright.

BUT to the original question...one of my fav characters was always Talon Karrde so I'd love to see him come back (and he certainly would be easy to see).

Quote Originally Posted by soxtalon View Post
    I think that is what they are doing...I think they thought it was easier. Instead of wading through bit by bit to decide which was canon and which was not...just make a clean break. Movies and TV were canon. Everything else was not. Then when they create new stories and authors want to use things, they can decide then and there if they want to re-canonize it. I have a feeling a LOT will eventually be recanonized - especially the stuff that is pre RotJ.

I mean everything post HAS to change at this point and that is a TON of stuff yes...but even then we will see newer versions of it. I mean you said that jacen and jaina were undone. Well kind of. Ben basically is having Jacen's arc of sorts.....so it's more of a reimagining.

The other problem is people will have WAY different wants and needs...like OP for example..Xizor and Dash? I consider them to be some of the worst drivel of the EU. Shadows was AWFUL and Dash is the single most annoyingly replacement character in the history of characters. Dash is basically Vance and Coy Duke to Han's Luke and Bo.

Vader's apprentice is alright.

BUT to the original question...one of my fav characters was always Talon Karrde so I'd love to see him come back (and he certainly would be easy to see).
    Had to Google the reference; it's a little musty. I know a lot of people see Dash as a stand-in for Han, but I think he is more his foil. His well-to-do upbringing and unwillingness to commit to the Rebellion serve as a contrast to Han. Whatever qualities he shares with Han aren't any more significant than those qualities Han and Lando share, for example. IMO, it's simply Han's absence (due to being frozen in carbonite) that draws this criticism more so than their actual similarities. If Chewbacca was the one frozen in carbonite, I don't think we'd be having this conversation.

Incredible Member

I hate the concept of canon so much. The only stuff that is canon to me is the stuff I read. If I read it, it's canon. If I didn't, it's not.

iMan 42s

I wish the secret apprentice was still a thing. People can ignore the clone if they want but Galen Marek was awesome. With the way current canon is, Vader training him may be a stretch since Vader was more concerned about his son now. The contrast between Luke and starkiller would be fun to explore. If the clone is retained, I like the idea of him being a man out of time in the force awakens era. A forgotten experiment fuled by the hatred he has for Vader but Vader is long gone, and in a time where anyone he knows of is old or dead. Imagine him searching for juno eclipse to find she died a decade ago.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Team DD +++ BuckyNat Master Man's Avatar

Dass Jennir (from Dark Times)
    Bomo Greenbark
    Meekerdin-maa, also known as Ratty
    H2
    &
    Kir Kanos (from The Crimson Empire Saga)

Kenobi by John Jackson Miller is my favourite SW novel. The only thing stopping that from being brought into the new cannon, I think, is the vague reference to
    Sharad Hett (or A'Sharad Hett, I don't know which).

I won't be holding my breath though.
    Currently reading:
    - Gangsta.
    - Gangsta. Cursed
    - Tokyo Ghoul:re

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    I hate the concept of canon so much. The only stuff that is canon to me is the stuff I read. If I read it, it's canon. If I didn't, it's not.
    I'm sure it has a lot to do with personality. While some, I'm sure, are simply content to enjoy each piece of material for what it is, if it "didn't really happen," it doesn't carry as much weight with me. Shadows of the Empire, for example, was my first exposure to the Star Wars EU, and for me it just enriched the universe so much. There were all of these things I never knew existed. It was plotted by Lucas from what he says happened between Episode V and VI. For me, ripping that away and saying it doesn't matter anymore is not very different, in my mind, from saying OK, Episode V doesn't count anymore. We might redo it sometime later and keep what elements we like, but for now that was a parallel universe or something. But more than any of that, it's not so much the fact that I want it to be canon for the sake of being canon, but if Prince Xizor is not canonized, for example, he will likely never appear in any material again in the future, and his part of the story will be "replaced."

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I wish the secret apprentice was still a thing. People can ignore the clone if they want but Galen Marek was awesome. With the way current canon is, Vader training him may be a stretch since Vader was more concerned about his son now. The contrast between Luke and starkiller would be fun to explore. If the clone is retained, I like the idea of him being a man out of time in the force awakens era. A forgotten experiment fuled by the hatred he has for Vader but Vader is long gone, and in a time where anyone he knows of is old or dead. Imagine him searching for juno eclipse to find she died a decade ago.
    I agree! Great character, and I like the idea that Vader spent so long plotting against the Emperor, and that it blew up in his face. There isn't really a canon character that walks the line between Light and Dark, and I've always found that an interesting concept.