Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Eh... not sure I would call say "investor" though.

If I invest in say... my sister-in-laws business, that means I am expecting my money back + extra. OR, a percentage of the profits.

Kickstarter and the like, aren't that. You are paying to hopefully maybe get a good comic. Not really the same thing at all.
    Obviously it's a new thing, but I think it's the best analogy (that I could think of at the time...) and all I meant by it really is that I may pay more for a Kickstarter book than I might pay for that book normally, simply to see it be made because I want to help the creator somewhat. Perhaps a better analogy is donating to a Youtube creator or something, I don't know.

That said, just because you expect to get your money back on an investment, doesn't mean you are going to get it back. Hence the risk, but I think "hopefully maybe" is a little strong. 91% of Kickstarters are fulfilled completely, and amongst the failures the small investment ones (less than a few thousand) are the most likely to not be delivered on.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    To answer your original question, I think it might be interesting to see mention of kickstarter campaigns that people believed in.
    Thanks for trying to bring this back on task!

Here's a few that I found recently that caught my eye:

HYPE https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ay-pina-nocera

Written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray. Short 50-ish page graphic novel about a superhero who is only awake for an hour a day but extraordinarily powerful for that time.

SEMIAUTOMAGIC https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...i-jerry-ordway

Written by Alex de Campi with art by Jerry Ordway. This is actually spinning off some extra stories from a Dark Horse Presents series, so you get the Dark Horse trade and the extras in a separate book but slipcased together.

ALAN MOORE'S CINEMA PERGATORIO https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ema-purgatorio

A horror anthology put together by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill. This is basically to kick the series going, as it's going to be in stores, but interesting nonetheless. Creators to be involved include Kieron Gillen, Garth Ennis, Max Brooks...

Here is my Kickstarter. 6 Days left till it ends.

It's about the son of Anansi the Spider God of Stories from West African mythology. It's a horror-fantasy book about a young man seeking to find his place in the world while having to live up to the legacy of his father. It's been an awesome project creating!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...he-were-spider
    Kickstarter for my comic Is'nana the Were-Spider, Vol 1 and 2!

Horror/fantasy coming of age book about the son of Anansi the Spider seeking for his place in the world.

Incredible Member

I've had hits and misses with Kickstarter. I've backed five comics over the years. Two of them delivered on their promise within one year of being funded. One is on the way, and two I have yet to see anything from even though it has been more than 1.5 years since funding.

The ones where I saw products were from industry recognized names. So I have to say I am done with Kickstarter unless they are proven names.

A few Kickstarters of interest, possibly: (all already at 100% funding but running out of time)

Less than two days to get in on Turncoat, a story of fairly useless assassin who kills, or tries to kill, superheroes for a living. It's already a webcomic that you can read in its entirity, just looking for printing money.

Three days on Kariba which is an African adventure fantasy tale. The artwork looks fantastic but it's not expected to ship until January 2017.

A few days as well for Burnt deluxe hardcover version. Already Kickstarted previously for a softcover but there's extra material and a new story added here.

And lastly 10 days for Zentropa - a new Sci-Fi epic in the tradition of the old Heavy Metal Magazine comic strips. Looks interesting.

Personally I've backed Turncoat, and am considering the others but not sure.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

I am not sure how many I have backed, but it is probably over 15 projects. It is kind of fun to try out something that may not be as commercially oriented and the I think that the bang for the buck is at least equal to what is otherwise available to me. I have never had an incident where the project was not delivered. A couple of times it was late or lost. When lost, the artist has made good on it.

I don't check the site more than once a month and I sometimes wonder what is out there that I missed.

PS. I also backed Dagon because loved the Squidder book I also backed. But in Dagon, didn't you think the lettering was almost unreadably small?

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    PS. I also backed Dagon because loved the Squidder book I also backed. But in Dagon, didn't you think the lettering was almost unreadably small?
    I don't know as I haven't received my copy yet. I know he's sending them in waves, and being in the UK I wasn't expecting it as soon as others but it is getting on in time a little now.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

2015 was my first year on Kickstarter and backed 9 projects that were successfully funded. Not actually got my hands on any of them yet though. Like some of you guys, I backed Dagon (my first pledge!) and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm also really looking forward to Oink which I think should be shipping soon.

I probably would have backed more but often times the shipping to the UK kind of kills it for me.

All-New Member

Interesting to read about other people's experience as backers.

Mine has been quite good. I've backed somewhere between 25 and 30 projects over the past few years now and there is only one that I can say looks like it'll be a bust. However...

-I seldom contribute a large amount. Usually no more than $25 so. My highest on Kickstarter is $65, and it came through.
    -While most have paid off, they have also been late more often than not, and some by several months.
    -I've backed some of the same people more than once so my success rate might be a bit inflated.

Anyway, it's a judgement call for sure and I would be reluctant to promote my own project this way, but from the backer's perspective, my experience has been very good.

Fantastic Member

I backed World of Hurt way back when and no problem. I just wish there was a follow-up project. I missed out of the second Vattu book at Rice-Boy dot com by a few days.

Generally, I would back projects that are from established creators or projects that are completed minus the printing.

DrSlug

Hey guys, don't crucify me for this, but have a look at my project currently running at Indiegogo.
    It's called Monsieur Charlatan (here's the link to the webcomic) a 211-pages web-comic that I am trying to fund in order to get it printed.
    This is a project that took 5 years (and many tears) to complete, and basically I really want to have it printed. Three days and so far, it goes really well, 34% of the goal, but I am reaching out there to anyone who might be able to help by contributing or even sharing the campaign. Basically all that I am asking is to cover the printing and packaging expenses, hopefully this qualifies as to what some of you mention above. And the comic is already completed so yeeeeii.

Terribly sorry if this looks like a spam.It isn't :P But have a look and tell me what you think. I haven't re-invented the wheel, but I had a lot of fun doing it, and if you browse through the first pages and the last you will definitely notice an improvement (god forbid) in the style of drawing which gives me so much joy.

Only 6 days left to help Joe Martino's 20th Anniversary SHADOWFLAME hardcover become a reality !
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

Backed Liefield's Brigade returns! And three years later nothing...a lot of his facebook promotes Deadpool (although you could argue Rob had NOTHING to do with the character other than the design...the campy/kooky deadpool of today is waaaaay different than the run of the mill assassain He put out in New Mutants/XForce).. he's also promoting an Avengylyne movie too. But seldom updates the Kickstarter page. And asking for your $$$ back is a non starter; there's always excuses he's given others, no reason to expect any different if I ask for refund)...Not thrilled with the kickstarter experience; though Lifeld is well known for his tardiness and wandering mind; so lesson learned (don't back Liefeld projects or those with similar work ethic)

I've backed a few Kickstarter comics with mixed results. All have delivered (though some were way late), but I haven't been badly burned by anything yet. I'd be interested in seeing some projects that other people like enough to back.

Right now, I'm backing:

Next Town Over - I really like Weird West stories, and Erin has a solid reputation for delivering on her KS projects. Low-risk project and it's a darn good comic.

Scurry - Post-Apocalyptic Secret of NIMH. The book made funding, but you can still pre-order through the artist's website.

Letters for Lucardo - Interesting twist on the usual vampire tropes, in that the vampire is falling in love with a guy in his golden years, not a virginal teenage girl.