Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Default Standoff books to read together

Marvel probably isn't going to appreciate this, but I'm going to take them at their word that I don't need to buy every book to appreciate the Standoff story. However, I probably will buy more than my usual. My understanding is there are different threads that branch off from the Alpha issue and then intersect in the Omega issue. But what hasn't been made clear is whether any of these threads intersect with each other and whether any thread would be more of the "main" thread.

Right now, the only book I'm reading that ties in is Agents of SHIELD. Does anyone know if there are any books that will go with this one? Also, are there any books that you think are "the most important" tie-in books? I know it might be hard to answer until after the series comes out, but I haven't seen a lot of pre-release information and I was wondering if anyone had any idea.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

To be honest I'm not even sure what books tie-in that I wouldn't normally get. I wouldn't have known about Agents of Shield tieing in for example if you hadn't mentioned it. So, so far at least the only tie-ins I'll be getting at the moment that I wouldn't normally get are the Alpha and Omega ones.

Here is the list, supposedly:

March:
    Assault on Pleasant Hill Alpha
    New Avengers 8
    ANAD Avengers 7
    Captain America: Sam Wilson 7
    Uncanny Avengers 7
    Howling Commandos 6
    Agents of SHIELD 3

April:
    Captain America: Sam Wilson 8
    New Avengers 9
    New Avengers 10
    Uncanny Avengers 8
    ANAD Avengers 8
    Illuminati 6
    Agents of SHIELD 4
    Assault on Pleasant Hill Omega

The only definite skip for me are Illuminati and Howling Commandos. Unless, of course, they're important to the stories I am reading. Out of curiosity, which books do you normally read?

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Here is the list, supposedly:

March:
    Assault on Pleasant Hill Alpha
    New Avengers 8
    ANAD Avengers 7
    Captain America: Sam Wilson 7
    Uncanny Avengers 7
    Howling Commandos 6
    Agents of SHIELD 3

April:
    Captain America: Sam Wilson 8
    New Avengers 9
    New Avengers 10
    Uncanny Avengers 8
    ANAD Avengers 8
    Illuminati 6
    Agents of SHIELD 4
    Assault on Pleasant Hill Omega

The only definite skip for me are Illuminati and Howling Commandos. Unless, of course, they're important to the stories I am reading. Out of curiosity, which books do you normally read?
    I normally read most of those titles. The only titles I don't normally read are Agents of Shield, Assault on Pleasant Hill Alpha, Howling Commandos, Illuminati and the Assault on Pleasant Hill Omega. And judging by that list you posted I guess I'll be getting 6 comics that I don't normally get LOL which isn't too bad compared to say Convergence or Secret Wars.

I'm going on their word too, then completely ignoring the entire event anyway

After the last two years I've got serious event fatigue and I'm just going to ignore all events apart from Apocalypse Wars. If I think Civil War is going well then maybe I'll get that in floppy.
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough

Do you read any of the books that cross over? I would ignore it too if that were the case, but I wasn't planning on skipping Agents of SHIELD just yet (when I figured I'd at least give the new book a chance).

Do you read any of the books that cross over? I would ignore it too if that were the case, but I wasn't planning on skipping Agents of SHIELD just yet (when I figured I'd at least give the new book a chance).
    I did get ANAD Avengers, Uncanny Avengers and I'm currently getting Agents of SHIELD, will stick with Agents of SHIELD but the other two books I just couldn't get into. Part of me cancelled Uncanny Avengers because of the event as well.
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Are you worried you won't be able to follow what's going on in Agents of SHIELD?

Are you worried you won't be able to follow what's going on in Agents of SHIELD?
    Well, if Marvel are being truthful about not having to follow the entire story to understand the plot of specific books then I'll read it and be happy. I think if reviews end up being good on the event - which again, I'm still in two minds about - then I might pick up the trade later to understand it completely.

They said you had to read the Alpha and Omega books.

Oh really...? Ergh. Might not just get those issues then.

BANNED

If you're fussed about reading the whole story, then you'll need the Alpha/Omega books. If you're just trying to understand the books you're already reading, I'm sure you'll be fine without them. Marvel almost always overstate their importance of their event books. If necessary just read a plot synopsis or pirate the Alpha/Omega issues.