Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default The Biggest Superhero Films That Didn't Happen, Part 1

There are more superhero movies than ever these days, but film history is filled with high-profile attempts that never ended up getting made.

Full article here.

Spectacular Member

Hoping for a mention of Green Arrow: Super Max.

DC tried making Green Lantern and Jonah Hex movies a few years ago. Thankfully they never got off the grou--oh. Butt.
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

T. Foolery's unwieldy, yet not entirely unimpressive, collection of funny books.

Back issues of Comics Scene would have some feature articles and references on then-in-progress comics-movie developments.

I love Burton's Batman films, and suspect I would have enjoyed his Catwoman film too. And though Sam Hamm's Watchmen script wasn't great, I kind of wish we'd gotten Terry Gilliam's adaptation.

BANNED

I would have liked the FF film that was rumored after Cormans film never got released. I remember reading somewhere that James Cameron had said to the studio "If you will give me a real budget, I will give you are real Fantastic Four film".

That could have been in-freakin-credible. To bad the movie never happened.

I sometimes wonder how far along some of these unmade movies before the plug was pulled. I remember a picture of Brigitte Nielsen in She-Hulk costume. It was bad. But so-bad-it's-good. I would have wanted to see that movie.

2012-05-18_155257_superheroshehulk01.jpg
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Amazing Member

Glad that SUPERMAN never got made, saw that doc, what a mess.

Praise be to Rao that "Superman Lives" was never made. That sound awful.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

What is this desire to diverge from the source material so badly? Especially for characters like Spider-Man or Watchmen that had never been adapted before in the first place. And, think about this, these movies are made for general audiences, not just fanboys. They expect a certain amount of familiarity. "Creative liberties" may be fun for producers but, as things like Superman Returns proved, people only have a tolerance for so much divergence from familiar territory.

The Catwoman script can be read here:

Comic Books In The Media: Unproduced Catwoman Script

There are several movies that got started then nothing not to mention all the tv shows you hear about but then drop off the net.

I don't know whether Terry Gilliam was right that Watchmen was unfilmable, but the Snyder version certainly didn't prove him wrong.

Looking at this list, I'm kind of glad these movies didn't get made. I think a lot of them would've come out at times when the market wasn't ready for them. The Batman movie would've come out at a time when violent action movies like Terminator and Robocop were gaining fame. Spider-Man would've come out around the era of Die Hard rip-offs. And the Batman vs. Superman movie would've come at a time before Batman Begins helped erase the memory of Joel Shumacher's influence on DC movies. It's interesting to speculate how some of these movies would've translated to the big screen, but I think for the most part, they wouldn't have worked.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Looking at this list, I'm kind of glad these movies didn't get made. I think a lot of them would've come out at times when the market wasn't ready for them. The Batman movie would've come out at a time when violent action movies like Terminator and Robocop were gaining fame. Spider-Man would've come out around the era of Die Hard rip-offs. And the Batman vs. Superman movie would've come at a time before Batman Begins helped erase the memory of Joel Shumacher's influence on DC movies. It's interesting to speculate how some of these movies would've translated to the big screen, but I think for the most part, they wouldn't have worked.
    Batman did come out while those movies were huge. RoboCop was just coming off a cartoon series at that time, and had toys.

I'm guessing that Batman vs Superman with a script from the writer of Fight Club and Seven wouldn't have been all that much like Batman and Robin.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

All those "Superman Lives" ideas mentioned all sound like bad fan-fiction. Effing impregnating Lois with his life-force. Someone watched "Warlock" too many times.

I liked the "Fantastic Four", probably because the format was still similar to the first Chris Columbus film (Obtaining of powers, coming out to the public, Rise of Doom) but they also tease Franklin Richards.

At this point I wouldn't mind a film that removes the focus of Spidey's love-life.