Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Batman V Superman" on Track For $154 Million Domestic Opening

One early forecast predicts "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" could end its North American run with $380 million.

Full article here.

Spectacular Member

At Star Wars: The Force Awakens they showed the latest trailer for BvS and the audience started cheering upon the appearance of Wonder Woman. Her inclusion is a big part of this buzz and excitement.

Fantastic Member

I guarantee this movie will cross the half a billion mark in the U.S. and around 1.2 billion world wide. It's gonna be huge

That's pretty low

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    That's pretty low
    That is my thought exactly. It isn't low by the standards for most movies. WB I'm sure is hoping for Age of Ultron numbers. It is their fault. The first Avengers had such high numbers because they were first to the punch.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    That is my thought exactly. It isn't low by the standards for most movies. WB I'm sure is hoping for Age of Ultron numbers. It is their fault. The first Avengers had such high numbers because they were first to the punch.
    If it falls short of AoU numbers it looks doesn't look good for the rest of the DCEU going forward.

Spectacular Member Sad Superman's Avatar

Those numbers aren't too bad, but I'm curious if Warner Bros. will see it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Redvector View Post
    If it falls short of AoU numbers it looks doesn't look good for the rest of the DCEU going forward.
    ... why?

Despite what the internet harps about, AoU was far from a failure, pulling in 1.4 bil

following short of that is no great disappointment.

Now, if BvS cannot beat IM3, then...
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

So how exactly is this forecast made? Advance tickets not even available.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Fantastic Member

Boxoffice mojo has 13,893 films in it's domestic gross list (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime...?page=1&p=.htm) $380 million would put BvS at 26th of all time and people here are saying that's low. MADNESS!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kumagawa View Post
    Boxoffice mojo has 13,893 films in it's domestic gross list (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime...?page=1&p=.htm) $380 million would put BvS at 26th of all time and people here are saying that's low. MADNESS!
    If this movie ends up 26th all time I would think it would be universally viewed as a significant disappointment.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Superman View Post
    Those numbers aren't too bad, but I'm curious if Warner Bros. will see it that way.
    If Batman v Superman opens less than the Dark Knight did eight years ago then it will be hard for them to spin it as an opening weekend success. It will inevitably be compared to AoU and Civil War. If Civil War outsells Batman v Superman then they have to be disappointed. Now if JL Part 1 falls short of AoU numbers then that will be the Ultimate failure.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kumagawa View Post
    That would be significantly lower than what they are hoping. They are hoping for top ten all-time numbers. I suspect that sales on this movie will be affected by the mixed reviews of MOS, the people who hate the casting of either Ben Affleck or Jess Eisenberg, and the people who hate Zach Snyder. Some people react to Ben Affleck as if he was their childhood bully... I guess the same could be said for Snyder.

BANNED

I feel that the opening weekend figure of $154m may be a bit optimistic at best, and a pipe dream at worst. And add to that they only hope to a little more than double that over the run of the film domestically? That indicates that there is fear that it won't have legs once word of mouth gets around. It doesn't bode well for this film and the future of the DCU if the studio perceives it as a failure. The want BvS to rival all the Marvel films. If it can't even beat out the lesser performing of the Marvel films (some of which performed far better than they had hoped, by the way), the DCCU may be stillborn.

Ultimate Member

It's still pretty far out.

The tracking could still go up depending on reviews and how strong the marketing might be.

The Avengers was tracking in the same range until early word hit (and critical reviews backed it up) about how good it was.

That does go both ways though because Fantastic Four was tracking for an opening of close to $50m until those horrifying reviews surfaced and the movie tanked.