Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    As much as I liked RR UXF, yeah...this was a pretty big middle finger to Cyke. THough I have to ask, do you have Wells New Mutants collected and how was it? I've been thinking of getting it since the Claremont NM is too dang expensive right now (in tpb physical).

Plus solos count. Its an x-men run right?
    I have the first 4 tpbs on Comixology. They are pretty good. There is no question about that. You shouldn't have anything against Magik though since the first three tpbs are ultimately a Magik story. I also must admit that haven't gotten vol. 5, 6 and 7 and can't say anything about them since aforementioned Magik is no longer part of the cast at that point and she was the only reason I was interested in that run.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Ultimate X-Men, Remender's Uncanny X-Force, Kyle and Yost, X-Force and Aaron's Wolverine: Weapon X. All great books imo.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

BANNED

Ya know one run that doesn't get brought up much, both because its another universe and the run was basically a fill-in for Bryan Singer, but I rather liked Brian K Vaughan's run on Ultimate X-Men from around 04-06. He took the confused stereotypes of Millar's run and turned them into likable, well-rounded characters. He had snappy dialog, a good understanding of story structure, could deliver both visually interesting action, twists, and interpersonal drama. And he had good artists with Brandon Peterson, Andy Kubert, and 12 issues by Stuart Immonen. Just a good X-Men team book in an era that seemed to be vacant them outside Astonishing's sporadic appearances.

Post those two, I'd say the peak was the first 19 issues of Remender's Uncanny X-Force. This was the first time I felt X-Force was a compelling read. It helped that I loved the cast, or at least I did under Remender's voice. It did the dark missions X-Men couldn't do, but they wrestled with real moral consequences. Had the right amount of levity with Fantomex and Deadpool, and doomed romance with Psylocke and Angel to balance out all the murky killing. Some fantastic artwork from Jerome Opena, Esad Ribic, and Dean White, who kept different artists like Billy Tan and Mark Brooks in-line with the established mood.

There were a couple other good ones. Lot of things Gillen did. His too-short run of S.W.O.R.D. Generation Hope, cut down right as they were finding its footing. His Uncanny X-Men run had several high points, two of my favorite X-Men issues of all-time in there. Shame about the generally mediocre art on that run.

Messiah Complex was about as good as any of these artistically dubious X-overs have ever been. Rather liked most of Aaron's Wolverine stories.

There are two strong issues in Fraction's run. One where the X-Men go back in time and there are steampunk sentinels. The other is an annual about Emma Frost. Well-crafted stories with a sense of history and pulpy fun, with great art from Yanick Paquette and Daniel Acuna, respectively. Shame the rest of the run is so far from that.

I liked that No More Humans OGN Mike Carey did with Larrocoa. He's got such a great voice for the material, and its a fun superhero story with a lot of the big mutants doing their thing against a big bad. You'd be amazed how rare that is these days.

Remender's Uncanny X-Force
    DeFilippis/Weir and Kyle/Yost's New X-Men
    Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Mike Carey's X-Men (#188-210 i.e. Not the Legacy stuff)
    PAD's X-Factor

Claremont's Uncanny (Take#3 from #444) - though not sure if it counts as it runs parallel to Whedon

Asmus' Gambit

And since the title says 04, Nicieza's Cable and Deadpool

Spurrier's X-Force and Legacy
    Nicieza's Cable & Deadpool
    Both the Ellis and Whedon Astonishing X-Men runs
    Lapham's Age of Apocalypse and DeadpoolMAX
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.