Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Lots of great finds! Quite concerning though that, even with the massive success of the movie counterparts, it doesnt seem to fight the problem of not enough LCSs around.
    Im quite spoiled here where we got 6 around my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Penoy View Post
    Lots of great finds! Quite concerning though that, even with the massive success of the movie counterparts, it doesnt seem to fight the problem of not enough LCSs around.
    Im quite spoiled here where we got 6 around my area.
    Me too. I'm in Rochester, NY, and for some reason, we have 6 comic book stores. Pretty cool. I especially love sifting through the dollar bins for (mostly) Bronze Age gems.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Punisher MAX Vol 4 for cover price.

All-New Member

I'm blessed to live in a city that has multiple LCS, and with my work and personal travel over the years, I've gotten to visit a large number of LCS across the US (and even some in Canada). I support them as much as possible, in part because I know most of the owners and employees at the local places and want to support their endeavors, but also because I enjoy digging through boxes rather than just ordering books online and having them show up at my door.

Most recently, I found a copy of the out-of-print Captain Britain HC Omnibus for MSRP ($99.99). When these show up on eBay, they usually go for at least $125, but most still-sealed copies go for north of $150.

Incredible Member

I said this recently in another thread, but the Superman: Red Son deluxe edition.

BANNED

Back in the mid 70's I found just about every issue of the silver-age Flash and every issue of The Metal Men.

Amazing Member

I have had some good luck finding OOP omnibuses at some LCS around me. At one place last year I found sealed copies of Amazing Fantasy omnibus and Thor (Straczynski) omnibus for 15% off the cover price.

At another place last year I found a sealed copy of The Ultimates omnibus for cover price. And earlier this year I found a sealed copy of the Absolute Crisis on Infinite Earths for cover price.

I also found sealed copies of the Starman omnibuses HC vol 1-3 for cover price. But now I regret getting them (they are still sealed just sitting on my bookcase).

There used to be an amazing comic book store that was a thirty minute drive from my house. It had been bought at the height of the comic book bubble in the mid-1990s, and the new owner didn't really like or understand the business, but she still had great inventory left over from the old owner. Eventually, as the store began bleeding money, she moved to a smaller store that was within walking distance of my home. I stopped there regularly and slowly became friends with her. As she confided in me about the store losing money, I began trying to offer suggestions, including helping her set up at local comic shows. She seemed determined to let the store die and shrugged at my suggestions, but she appreciated my helpfulness and eventually confided in me that the basement was filled with long boxes from the previous owner that hadn't been sifted through since the 1970s.

She let me go down there as often as I liked, and I'd often spend entire days sorting through box after box, looking for issues that I was interested in buying, as well as issues that I knew she could sell for a fortune. These boxes were filled with unsold comics that came straight from the shelf -- multiple mint copies of comics sorted by week of release. It was beautiful. Every time I showed her books I wanted to buy from her, she looked them up in Overstreet and then charged me an absurd fraction of that price. Every time I brought her a key issue worth tons of money, she insisted on selling it to me instead, again at an absurdly low price.

I probably bought three hundred books from her in this way.

My best find of all -- An X-Men #94 literally lying on the floor, somewhat wrinkled and water stained. She gave it to me for $4.

I miss her and that store. It's been at least six years since it closed down. I wish I could have helped her, but she seemed set on letting it die. At least she knew how much joy she gave me.
    Last edited by shaxper; 06-24-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Amazing Member

This wasn't at my LCS, rather a used book store that sells TPBs and HCs, but 2 weeks ago I found Simonson Thor omnibus for $50. I was super excited.

My LCS doesn't keep a stock of back issues on hand, but they have a spreadsheet that I'm investigating. Depending on the price, I might be getting some of the few Age of Apocalypse stories that aren't available digitally (X-Man -1, X-Men Annual 1996, the AoA One-shot from 2005).

Fantastic Member

We have only one offline LCS here in Moscow and I sells TPBs and localized books mostly, but one year ago I've found new Captain Britain omnibus in the local online comic shop only for $80. That was a great deal for an OOP omnibus.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

..... I'm so jealous at you right now.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I found Greg Rucka's Black Widow MAX for 4 €. A good deal considering that it has never been collected.

Amazing Member

I had just about given up on collecting all ex machina deluxe editions (having got vol 1 and 2) ...and a chance trip to a local LCS I got the rest of the editions under MRP !!!

BANNED

I haven't found any treasures at the 3 lcs in my area, but I've found plenty of books for my collection in the dollar and .50 bins. The guys at my 2 main lcs are pretty
    knowledgeable about what is hot, so it's rare to find anything great in those bins. The other lcs like to use prices right out of Overstreet's and didn't have any discounted books
    the last time I went there a year or so ago. About the best I've found so far was buying a bunch of the DNA Guardians of the Galaxy at .50 each right when they heated up and
    reselling them to mycomicshop.com for $3-5 apiece. I still look every time I'm there, though, because one day I might find something great.