Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    Haha, to be fair Maggot was a 90s creation (and a terrible one at that). But what I meant is that none of those characters seem to have powers that make me feel like "yea, they totally belong on a team of superheroes". They strike me much more as just random, background characters with no real staying power or need to exist other than trying to appease the undying need for "change" that most humans have. More like newer Morlocks. I dont feel like any of those characters could carry the X-Men torch without any A-listers by their sides.
    I find this comment hilarious considering that the O5 themselves actually failed to sell when first introduced, and didn't take off until Giant-Sized (prior to which no new stories featuring the X-Men were published for FIVE YEARS). People also HATED Wolverine when he was first created and wanted him to die, while Kitty and Jubilee are two of the biggest success stories to come out of the 80s and 90s, and they've STILL both had stretches of irrelevancy (the latter more than the former).

Let us try to remain positive in here. Speak about what you love, not what you hate.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I find this comment hilarious considering that the O5 themselves actually failed to sell when first introduced, and didn't take off until Giant-Sized (prior to which no new stories featuring the X-Men were published for FIVE YEARS). People also HATED Wolverine when he was first created and wanted him to die, while Kitty and Jubilee are two of the biggest success stories to come out of the 80s and 90s, and they've STILL both had stretches of irrelevancy (the latter more than the former).
    I think it's easy to forget that X Men was a flop when it was first released and it took a slew of new creations and a whole new direction to really make it take off. Claremont was allowed to do whatever he wanted since nobody else really wanted to work on the book and he created a bunch of still popular characters in the 80's which were real glory days for X Men it went from a flop to being the must read comic series by Marvel in the 80's spawning a ton of new X comics that were successful.

If somebody didn't come in and try new things then it would have faded away so the idea of somebody saying they don't like new things and new ideas is silly. Are all ideas good ones? No. But you can't argue when a character remains popular years after being first introduced.
    In protest against Marvel's constant ignoring of Surge.

Then those characters would need a lot of work to get them to the level of appeal that the A-listers have. I can fully admit and confirm that I would have had zero interest in the O5 when they first came out also. Even when I saw the X-Men in the 80s, nothing about what I was seeing made me want to pick up their book and start reading. It was the 90s overhaul that finally (and completely) grabbed me and demanded my full, undivided attention and never let go. Sadly, nothing since then has come close to grabbing my interest in the same way, including all the newer characters. As they are/were, I just can not identify them as being "superhero" material. I just see them as random mutants that do not belong. And perhaps, that is the point?
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Let us try to remain positive in here. Speak about what you love, not what you hate.
    Fair enough. I feel I need to reiterate that people who DO like those newer X-characters are NOT wrong for doing so. I fully understand there are some who like them. I am just saying, for me, they do not interest me. Marvel hit MY idea of "superhero/comic perfection" in the early 90s and any drastic changes just screw it up. That's why "X-Men '92" will (hopefully) be such a welcome gift. It is being made for those of us who entirely believe the X-Men reached the peak of their appeal in the early 90s and who do not want to make the climb/fall back down from that mountaintop.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    Fair enough. I feel I need to reiterate that people who DO like those newer X-characters are NOT wrong for doing so. I fully understand there are some who like them. I am just saying, for me, they do not interest me. Marvel hit MY idea of "superhero/comic perfection" in the early 90s and any drastic changes just screw it up. That's why "X-Men '92" will (hopefully) be such a welcome gift. It is being made for those of us who entirely believe the X-Men reached the peak of their appeal in the early 90s and who do not want to make the climb/fall back down from that mountaintop.
    This attitude is honestly part of the problem. It's precisely BECAUSE readers get fixated on one era and don't want to see it change, so don't want to give new characters a chance that leads to them having such an abysmal success rate.

This attitude is honestly part of the problem. It's precisely BECAUSE readers get fixated on one era and don't want to see it change, so don't want to give new characters a chance that leads to them having such an abysmal success rate.
    Because there are many people who follow a franchise for a particular reason due to liking it EXACTLY how it is at that moment. There is no franchise I can think of where I would say "Man, I love how this [insert ANY franchise here] is. But now I can not wait to see it totally change into something else." I can ONLY get my "90s X-Men fix" from Marvel. If they choose to take it from me or alter it significantly, I can not just go to another comic publisher to get my 90s X-fix. I am simply S.O.L.

I have no problem with letting new ideas be formed, AS LONG AS they are NOT taking away the version I love in order to replace it with something else. As I have said, as long as "X-Men '92" will give me my 90s fix, then I am open to trying new ideas/titles on the side. But when Marvel takes away the very things I loved about the franchise, they are essentially telling me "Hey dummy, read this new, totally different comic bearing the name of what you once connected with. We feel it is worth replacing everything that made you a fan to begin with in this bait and switch", and well that is too risky. I NEVER became an X-Men fan to see it turn into something foreign I dont want or replace characters I love with all new ones. I became an X-Men fan to keep getting more more more of the characters, costumes, and style that made me a fan to begin with.

I am sure there are hundreds of other comics out there that feature all new, unfamiliar characters, costumes and storylines. If I wanted to see those, I would read those. When I read X-Men, I need the X-Men I know and love, not something filled with unfamiliar characters and costumes that have taken away and replaced what originally made me love them from the start. "X-Men '92" will be what I need, and I truly hope it will go on for many years. But when it disappears, so will I (again). If Marvel wants my money, they need to offer what I want to buy and see more of. Not "all new all different" stuff I dont. I could very easily go to another comic franchise on my own if I wanted to see "all new all different". But as long as I can get what I want then we can all coexist peacefully. Marvel can change, alter and disgrace the X-Men to all other readers' content in the main books for all I care, as long as they leave my 90s team (roughly) as is. Minor changes/updates are fine. I am even fine if they want to introduce/add new characters. Just do not completely replace the characters I already love with all new ones.
    Last edited by FlawedCoil82; 02-02-2016 at 09:17 PM.