Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Black Canary - a long-time, well respected member of the Justice League and member of the super hero community.

Now - she only knows Batgirl.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Same here.

As you say, characters always change. But so many seem stripped of their core. The point of loving a character is something about their personality being distinct to them. How they sound and act are what make the character. That might change somewhat depending on the context of the story; being more or less serious, for example. But, at a certain point, they stop being the same character and become someone else.

The New 52 is just rife with these complaints. Forget continuity and origin stories. Somehow DC ended up contradicting the core of so many characters.
    thank you.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    I think wonder women's been unrecognizable since the Perez run. In fact, the finch's have brought her back (a very little.) To who she should be.....
    ok, now i'm interested. i don't really follow wonder woman.

BANNED

Wally West

Barry Allen died right around the time I really got into comics but it was over ten more years before I started reading DC (whatever year Grant Morrison did JLA). Wally became my favorite character in JLA and I started reading his book and quickly picked up most of Waid's run and then Geoff John's first run.

To me and an entire generation Wally is the Flash so you can imagine how disheartening it is to have the new Flash book and TV show that is basically Wally West's personality but Barry Allen's name and then some PC social justice stereotype filling the role of Wally.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Shayera Hol

She's always going to be my favorite version of Hawkgirl, but it seems like she's going to be perpetually snubbed by Johns' creation, Kendra Saunders. Of all the classic DC characters, I'd say she had the absolute worst treatment in the New 52.

I agree with a lot already mentioned here. Oliver Queen is the most blatant. Him and the absence of the JSA.

But, more importantly than any others mentioned, the New 52 Superman is not Superman. Then again, neither is the Man of Steel Superman. Hoping for better results here in the movie and the relaunch. It would be cool if they focused on what makes him who he is rather than finding ways to make him what he's not.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    It's not something that I can be bothered getting worked up over to be honest.

However, sometimes I can understand the concerns of others. Especially where Wally West is concerned.
    Fan bases are composed of different levels of dedication, loyalty, and intensity. I've been a Green Arrow fan since 1968-69. Yeah, I'm a pretty die hard fan. And I agree with the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Exhibit A

This is Raven

Exhibit B

This is Raven's crazy twin, Pigeon.

Meanwhile... that would've been a killer revamp of Magpie.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Meanwhile... that would've been a killer revamp of Magpie.
    ROFL
    That's a brilliant idea.

I think the longer a writer and a reader build a rapport through a character, the harder it is for the reader to accept another writer's voice or vision.

For instance, Dan Jurgens created Booster Gold and wrote his original series. I only read a handful of issues of it.
    But I read every issue of Giffen & DeMatteis' Justice League and their Booster became my Booster.
    So when Jurgens took over with #61, with a character he even created and wrote, I still felt like Booster was empty or missing something.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

It's funny I just posted how Superman is Didio's biggest victim. Now I'm thinking I'm just a big Superman fan and he's screwed everyone lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    It's funny I just posted how Superman is Didio's biggest victim. Now I'm thinking I'm just a big Superman fan and he's screwed everyone lol
    I posted pretty much the same thing earlier on this page.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think the longer a writer and a reader build a rapport through a character, the harder it is for the reader to accept another writer's voice or vision.

For instance, Dan Jurgens created Booster Gold and wrote his original series. I only read a handful of issues of it.
    But I read every issue of Giffen & DeMatteis' Justice League and their Booster became my Booster.
    So when Jurgens took over with #61, with a character he even created and wrote, I still felt like Booster was empty or missing something.
    You want the intrinsic character traits to remain consistent. That is the core, the essence of the character. I'm not talking so much about the costume, yeah, Ollie's Van Dyke beard is a trademark, but it's an affectation--not an integral. intrinsic part of what makes Oliver Queen tick. Sherlock Holmes has gone through several incarnations, but Holmes remains basically the same. You can't alter, revamp, or replace what gives the character his/her uniqueness, individuality. Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Peter Parker, Steve Rogers, have all remained intact because writers remain faithful to their intrinsic personality traits. Unfortunately, the new 52 version of Green Arrow suffers from an "identity crisis" and as a result, the book is unrecognisable. Forget CW's Arrow. Stop trying to mimic Clint Barton.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by missingmarch View Post
    This thread was created to describe John Constantine.
    lol!

i actually think this thread should be dedicated to the wally west fans out there.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Wally West

Barry Allen died right around the time I really got into comics but it was over ten more years before I started reading DC (whatever year Grant Morrison did JLA). Wally became my favorite character in JLA and I started reading his book and quickly picked up most of Waid's run and then Geoff John's first run.

To me and an entire generation Wally is the Flash so you can imagine how disheartening it is to have the new Flash book and TV show that is basically Wally West's personality but Barry Allen's name and then some PC social justice stereotype filling the role of Wally.
    I agree with you about Wally but it's not "PC Social Justice", it's a walking racist stereotype that replaced him.