Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

I agree with the guys arguing that it would be wonderful to get an emerging new talent writing a long run.

Looking at existing big names that might be tempted suggests that it might be worth considering Mark Millar? Red Son was good, and his run on Superman Adventures was excellent. And I know that he was very interested at one point...he had a 60 issue long story that he'd planned in fair detail, but one that required him to be in sole creative control.

Maybe too late now...his comics have now tended to become a wee bit stereo-typed and over dependant on slapstick violence? But then you could say same maybe about Garth Ennis, yet Garth seems to have a wonderful feel for Superman...and might be another candidate for a "left field" choice as writer.

But...as long as DC keep present policy of involving Superman in endless cross-overs and allowing several writers have a go at writing him in his various comics we're going to continue getting a load of average..or poor-ish...stories. Get somebody in sole charge...either a visionary editor or a top quality writer.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 02-04-2016 at 02:46 PM.

I think that Millar might be "done" with properties that he doesn't own?

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I agree with the guys arguing that it would be wonderful to get an emerging new talent writing a long run.

Looking at existing big names that might be tempted suggests that it might be worth considering Mark Millar? Red Son was good, and his run on Superman Adventures was excellent. And I know that he was very interested at one point...he had a 60 issue long story that he'd planned in fair detail, but one that required him to be in sole creative control.

Maybe too late now...his comics have now tended to become a wee bit stereo-typed and over dependant on slapstick violence? But then you could say same maybe about Garth Ennis, yet Garth seems to have a wonderful feel for Superman...and might be another candidate for a "left field" choice as writer.

But...as long as DC keep present policy of involving Superman in endless cross-overs and allowing several writers have a go at writing him in his various comics we're going to continue getting a load of average..or poor-ish...stories. Get somebody in sole charge...either a visionary editor or a top quality writer.
    Have you checked out his new comic called Huck. I'd personally recommend it to you and everyone interested. It's essentially superman without the costume doing good for the sake of just doing what is right.

And HsssH he actually has a DC itch he'd like to scratch in the future. It's on his twitter account you can check it out.
    Last edited by Hopeful Hero; 02-04-2016 at 02:57 PM.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Quote Originally Posted by MeloDet;1771319[URL="http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/02/dc-comics-rebirth-the-big-idea-is-a-secret-from-batman-v-superman-kept-from-creators-and-editors/"
    DC Comics Rebirth: The Big Idea… Is A Secret From Batman V Superman Kept From Creators And Editors[/URL]
    I'm still wondering what this means. Anybody have any thoughts on it?

Quote Originally Posted by SSJett View Post
    I'm still wondering what this means. Anybody have any thoughts on it?
    Well....it has to be something that creators and editorial don't have to deal with right this very second, since a lot of the production for the first Rebirth issues will be in the can before the movie hits. So that indicates that it's a larger, universe-wide type of thing.....B/S is all about setting up the League....

My guess is that the big secret, if its indeed true (this whole story seems incredibly stupid even for DC) likely involves Darkseid
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I love the idea of finding an "undiscovered talent" for the books, but I'm not sure how you find someone that hasn't already been "discovered" elsewhere these days. In times like these, it would be nice if DC opened up their offices to receiving scripts & pitch submissions, as there very well could be undiscovered talent anywhere, including these boards. I mean, honestly - what could it hurt at this point? Not to mention that if they dug the story someone was telling, they could get them dirt cheap.

Geoff Johns was just a fan once, too.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I love the idea of finding an "undiscovered talent" for the books, but I'm not sure how you find someone that hasn't already been "discovered" elsewhere these days. In times like these, it would be nice if DC opened up their offices to receiving scripts & pitch submissions, as there very well could be undiscovered talent anywhere, including these boards. I mean, honestly - what could it hurt at this point? Not to mention that if they dug the story someone was telling, they could get them dirt cheap.

Geoff Johns was just a fan once, too.
    Lot of ways to find rookie talent these days. You can dig through DeviantArt (that's how Dexter Soy was discovered) or fan sites that handle art or writing....I read a while back that WB was opening its doors (so to speak) and allowing fanfic writers to sell their stuff on Amazon. No idea if that ever happened or not, and as I recall the franchise options were limited, but it was a chance for writers to sell their stuff and get paid and a chance for WB to vet some unknown talent. Again, no idea if that ever went anywhere though.

But it's still very much a matter of who you know, it seems.

And I'd think it'd be a great PR stunt for DC to hire an unknown and prior fan; at this point they've driven away all the high end talent and sales are crap even when a big name does shows up. They'd get a ton of free press and people would buy that first issue just to see how terrible it was, if nothing else. Its honestly a pretty terrible move, but at this point? Why not, they've tried everything else.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

As harsh as I've been on Tomasi, I don't think his stories will cause a lot of negativity like Truth has. Unless he has to do stories like Doomed, or Truth, where Superman's physiology is altered in some way, I think his stories will be received warmly by most people.

He'll tell your run of the mill superhero stories, and that might even stabilize the Superman books in terms of sales, even if not improving them by much.

I agree that it will probably not cause negativity, but will it be better if people will simply be indifferent to whats happening to Superman? Not saying that this is whats going to happen, but I think its possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    Have you checked out his new comic called Huck. I'd personally recommend it to you and everyone interested. It's essentially superman without the costume doing good for the sake of just doing what is right.

And HsssH he actually has a DC itch he'd like to scratch in the future. It's on his twitter account you can check it out.
    Hadn't heard of Huck, so thanks for info, will download it next time I make some Comixology buys. (Working myself through some fantasy novels right now...going through one of those periods where every time I go to library there's a couple of "must reads" to take out. So most likely a few weeks before I have a comics spree.)

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I agree that it will probably not cause negativity, but will it be better if people will simply be indifferent to whats happening to Superman? Not saying that this is whats going to happen, but I think its possible.
    Don't you think that's what we're drifting towards?

We all know Batman is the big success now, but surely some of that is down to a consistent characterisation (the omni-competent dour obsessive) for last decade, and consistently using cream of writing and art talent available.

Contrast that with Superman...characterisation and power levels all over the place and it's a cause for celebration when a top writer does a few issues. The mystery isn't why Superman comics don't sell as well as Batman's, but that they sell as well as they do.

Similarly Marvel manage Spider-man writers better than DC serve Superman. Indeed let's be realistic...Daredevil has been far better written in last couple of decades.

Amazing Member

What has been the best Superman run or arc or story since Death of Supeman?
    I personally like Superman Red Son.
    But I think DC needs to either go with a new talent, that is actually a fan of comics and of Superman or a vet with a track record of stellar work.

Best run since Death of Superman?

The Cadmus Clone War (mid 90's) was pretty damn awesome. I really enjoyed Our Worlds At War (though it likely doesnt age well, haven't re-visited that story since it saw print), Morrison's opening Action arc, Pak's Subterra, and the Bizarro story that lead into the Cadmus Clone War was beautifully handled.

~ Black Panther.

I really enjoyed the Fall of Metropolis. It had a lot of things going at the same time that were intriguing; the clone sickness, Superman absorbing too much energy, Lois trying to prove Lex II was actually Lex I and his trying to take her down while trying to cure his illness, it was very action-packed.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by upmiddowntown View Post
    What has been the best Superman run or arc or story since Death of Supeman?
    I personally like Superman Red Son.
    But I think DC needs to either go with a new talent, that is actually a fan of comics and of Superman or a vet with a track record of stellar work.
    For the very best you can't really top Red Son or All-Star.