Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    Rebirth might be a reboot after all, depending on what pitches get picked up.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/...oot-after-all/
    Oh DC...this is why people hate you.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I did, and in this case I really hate being right.

If I had to guess right now, and assuming BleedingCool is right (which is, of course, not a certainty) then this is what I'm predicting....

And Im pretty pissed about all these announcements so my mood may be clouding my judgement here....

Everything returns to the basic status quo; secret identity, Daily Planet, Lois Lane as love interest. Kents likely still dead....maybe Martha returns but I dont think so. DC will want to avoid this looking like a straight up reboot as much as they can. It'll reflect the films' tone and themes and visuals as much as possible without being a complete carbon copy. The costume will vaguely reflect the movie, though with a certain Jim Lee "flair" that will likely destroy the positive qualities of the MoS costume. Too many seams, and the high collar everyone hates, but with the weird silver piping around wrist and waist.

Yang and Pak are gone completely. Pak's got his Marvel work and I think he's supposed to be writing the Titans or something so he won't touch Superman again. Yang will be blamed for the terrible sales his run has had, rather than the blame being put where it belongs; editorial and endless crossovers everyone is tired of.

Berganza will keep his position.

Tomasi will write the bi-monthly Superman and, at least for a little bit, Action. Maybe just the first arc. And this will be because DC wont know exactly what they're supposed to be doing with the movie connections, as reported in that link that was taken down. Im...unsure...of the potential quality here. Tomasi's shown that he's a passable Super-writer, at best. However, he started off as an editor and likely has a stronger relationship with that level of DC than the average writer does, and he'll know how to argue for his story in the language of business, not creativity, like your typical writer. We may see better stuff from him than we've seen from others because he'll be more adapt (in theory) at dodging editorial bullets and as the main Super-writer he'll have more pull within the franchise. But odds are the book/s will be absolutely average and the sales wont even be good enough to reflect that (after the initial sales spike dwindles off). Despite this, he'll stay on for at least two years.

Scott Snyder will be writing the new Trinity. He's been talking about Diana for ages, his Unchained sold well, and DC will keep him with Batman for as long as they can. So we'll get "Batman and Friends" out of this, and everyone thinking of Endgame and having nightmares will wish the dynamics were handled with that kind of even hand before the first arc is finished, which will almost certainly feature Batman saving the day and doing all the heavy lifting, including defeating the villain who completely out-classes him on every level.

Man of Steel will be a third Superman title that digs heavily into the tone and style of the films; so lots of Metropolis and its supporting characters along with John Henry Irons and a few other Metropolis citizens the movies haven't brought in. Largely Triangle-era type stuff with a modern, movie-inspired sheen. This one might get a somewhat high profile writer. Not anyone on the level of Morrison or Johns, of course. That level of talent will be reserved for the Bat-titles and Justice League exclusively. But certainly a name that will catch some attention and curiosity, which, combined with the connections to the film, will be what DC uses to rope readers in.

The Super-Man....Im not so sure. It's got a real retro, pulp-ish style to its name....and with the JSA coming back, we might be looking at a return of the "Golden Age" Superman; thrown into the present from the 1940's along with the rest of the Society...or this will be the continuation of Lois & Clark. Im leaning towards more L&C; it hasnt sold at all which means it'll be the thing DC thinks is worth keeping. Either way, a writer who hasn't really impressed in twenty years will be the one to get the gig; likely Jurgens, since he's about the only writer from that era who hasn't left DC.

Supergirl will be getting a solo (possibly a mini, like the current digital first is) as well as a position on a team. Her show is doing well, I hear, and WB will want to milk that, so expect to see her on a Titans-style book or a League spin-off. They'll announce this one in a while, using it as a bit of good news to help deflect our disdain over their other choices.

Superboy will be MIA until and unless he shows up in another book. It'll be at least two storylines into the new titles if it happens at all. And there's decent odds DC will put him in the t-shirt, jeans, and cape look that Morrison used in his first Action arc; that's proven popular and this will be DC trying to capitalize on that while missing the point of what made it popular in the first place. All of his history wont be strictly contradicted, but it'll be ignored completely. Back to a straight forward clone of Clark and Lex, likely made by LexCorp. Which, really, is one of the few good things to come of all this.

Let's all hope I'm very, very wrong about all this.
    I have a feeling you are actually being a little to optimistic. It will likely be worse.

Sadly you will have to soon change your signature.

If I had to guess right now, and assuming BleedingCool is right (which is, of course, not a certainty) then this is what I'm predicting....

And Im pretty pissed about all these announcements so my mood may be clouding my judgement here....

Everything returns to the basic status quo; secret identity, Daily Planet, Lois Lane as love interest. Kents likely still dead....maybe Martha returns but I dont think so. DC will want to avoid this looking like a straight up reboot as much as they can. It'll reflect the films' tone and themes and visuals as much as possible without being a complete carbon copy. The costume will vaguely reflect the movie, though with a certain Jim Lee "flair" that will likely destroy the positive qualities of the MoS costume. Too many seams, and the high collar everyone hates, but with the weird silver piping around wrist and waist.

Yang and Pak are gone completely. Pak's got his Marvel work and I think he's supposed to be writing the Titans or something so he won't touch Superman again. Yang will be blamed for the terrible sales his run has had, rather than the blame being put where it belongs; editorial and endless crossovers everyone is tired of.

Tomasi will write the bi-monthly Superman and, at least for a little bit, Action. Maybe just the first arc. And this will be because DC wont know exactly what they're supposed to be doing with the movie connections, as reported in that link that was taken down. Im...unsure...of the potential quality here. Tomasi's shown that he's a passable Super-writer, at best. However, he started off as an editor and likely has a stronger relationship with that level of DC than the average writer does, and he'll know how to argue for his story in the language of business, not creativity, like your typical writer. We may see better stuff from him than we've seen from others because he'll be more adapt (in theory) at dodging editorial bullets and as the main Super-writer he'll have more pull within the franchise. But odds are the book/s will be absolutely average and the sales wont even be good enough to reflect that (after the initial sales spike dwindles off). Despite this, he'll stay on for at least two years.

Scott Snyder will be writing the new Trinity. He's been talking about Diana for ages, his Unchained sold well, and DC will keep him with Batman for as long as they can. So we'll get "Batman and Friends" out of this, and everyone thinking of Endgame and having nightmares will wish the dynamics were handled with that kind of even hand before the first arc is finished, which will almost certainly feature Batman saving the day and doing all the heavy lifting, including defeating the villain who completely out-classes him on every level.

Man of Steel will be a third Superman title that digs heavily into the tone and style of the films; so lots of Metropolis and its supporting characters along with John Henry Irons and a few other Metropolis citizens the movies haven't brought in. Largely Triangle-era type stuff with a modern, movie-inspired sheen. This one might get a somewhat high profile writer. Not anyone on the level of Morrison or Johns, of course. That level of talent will be reserved for the Bat-titles and Justice League exclusively. But certainly a name that will catch some attention and curiosity, which, combined with the connections to the film, will be what DC uses to rope readers in.

The Super-Man....Im not so sure. It's got a real retro, pulp-ish style to its name....and with the JSA coming back, we might be looking at a return of the "Golden Age" Superman; thrown into the present from the 1940's along with the rest of the Society...or this will be the continuation of Lois & Clark. Im leaning towards more L&C; it hasnt sold at all which means it'll be the thing DC thinks is worth keeping. Either way, a writer who hasn't really impressed in twenty years will be the one to get the gig; likely Jurgens, since he's about the only writer from that era who hasn't left DC.

Supergirl will be getting a solo (possibly a mini, like the current digital first is) as well as a position on a team. Her show is doing well, I hear, and WB will want to milk that, so expect to see her on a Titans-style book or a League spin-off. They'll announce this one in a while, using it as a bit of good news to help deflect our disdain over their other choices.

Superboy will be MIA until and unless he shows up in another book. It'll be at least two storylines into the new titles if it happens at all. And there's decent odds DC will put him in the t-shirt, jeans, and cape look that Morrison used in his first Action arc; that's proven popular and this will be DC trying to capitalize on that while missing the point of what made it popular in the first place. All of his history wont be strictly contradicted, but it'll be ignored completely. Back to a straight forward clone of Clark and Lex, likely made by LexCorp. Which, really, is one of the few good things to come of all this.

What's unfortunate is that they might actually do this.

I definitely hope you're wrong, but we know you're probably not. Snyder will pass Diana to Bruce as well romantically, just you watch.

And if this is a genuine hard reboot, even if DC tries to mask it, I really think it will kill them. Literally, I think they'll be done as a publisher in five more years time. You cannot do that again just five years after already doing it and expect to retain any modicum of respectability or credibility from your consumers. They'll fold.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

As ridiculous as it sounds, I would be open to another reboot even this soon, if DC used it to get everything right from the ground up, and I do mean everything.

I don't dislike the New 52 as a continuity compared to the Pre-52 Universe, but I do see it as a wasted opportunity. While they got some things right such as Morrison's Action Comics, it wasn't the revitalized DC it should have been in terms of stories. It was just the same old, with properties that sucked before the reboot continuing to suck after the reboot, with a few exceptions.

But Rebirth sounds like a mess, shabbily put together.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I definitely hope you're wrong, but we know you're probably not. Snyder will pass Diana to Bruce as well romantically, just you watch.

And if this is a genuine hard reboot, even if DC tries to mask it, I really think it will kill them. Literally, I think they'll be done as a publisher in five more years time. You cannot do that again just five years after already doing it and expect to retain any modicum of respectability or credibility from your consumers. They'll fold.
    As they should.

Anyone else wish the heirs of Supermans creators and their skeezy lawyer won the rights to Superman away from Warners? I can't imagine they could have done any worse.

BANNED

with Tomasi writing superman I doubt Lois will be Suoerman love interest or have significative panel time.

snyder won't be on a bi-weekly, that is one of the reasons he will do detective and not batman. If he want to write wonder woman, let him do it. Also nobody complains all heavy batsup and smww books are on Superman focus.

I'm pretty sure Snyder won't make WW date Batman, even as a if only WW-trevor shippers have the right to complain about it, because oh really?
    all this time and WW go dating batman lol

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Superboy will be MIA until and unless he shows up in another book. It'll be at least two storylines into the new titles if it happens at all. And there's decent odds DC will put him in the t-shirt, jeans, and cape look that Morrison used in his first Action arc; that's proven popular and this will be DC trying to capitalize on that while missing the point of what made it popular in the first place.
    To be fair, Morrison and Rags pretty much lifted that look from Superboy.

Anyway I'm personally hoping for the reboot. I really liked Morrison's stuff but didn't love it, so if it has to go and take everything that followed with it, I'm fine. But I really doubt there will be a reboot. I can almost guarantee it.

that is the worst part of something that may very well be true, cause he is batman, no matter how machist and misoginous it may be

srsly if this junk is to happen i prefer that she goes back to trevor and we retreat to the wait of elsewords.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 02-02-2016 at 05:03 PM. Reason: language

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Prediction: They restore the pre-Flashpoint universe with an apology for the last five years.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    that is the worst part of something that may very well be true, cause he is batman, no matter how machist and misoginous it may be

srsly if this junk is to happen i prefer that she goes back to trevor and we retreat to the wait of elsewords.
    It would be better if she became a lesbian.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Prediction: They restore the pre-Flashpoint universe with an apology for the last five years.
    That is not going to happen.

What DC is trying to do is increase their sales. They aren't going to go back to what was selling worse than what's selling now. The JSA title also completely rules out a return to the Pre-Flashpoint continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I have a feeling you are actually being a little to optimistic. It will likely be worse.

Sadly you will have to soon change your signature.
    You think? Geez man, this all seems pretty terrible to me. But yeah, it could easily be worse than what Im predicting here.

And Im thinking of changing my sig to "Action Comics By Pak! It's Action Pak'd.....or would have been if DC knew what they were doing."

What do you think?

Hadn't considered handing Diana over to Bruce as a romantic interest....I think it'll depend on what they do with the movie. Word is there's a lot of flirting between them, so if that's true, then yeah you're probably right.

And DC won't go under as long as they have Batman. But I could see the entire company implode outside of that franchise. WB will then have to maintain their ownership of other properties with the occasional one-shot or guest appearance.

On the other hand, that means they'll flood the market with tons of superhero shows and movies and end up killing that too.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    As they should.

Anyone else wish the heirs of Supermans creators and their skeezy lawyer won the rights to Superman away from Warners? I can't imagine they could have done any worse.
    Well, I never believed that the heirs' legal fight was about anything other than wanting money for something none of them had personally done, so I cant say Im sorry they didn't win. I never got the feeling that they cared about the character in any way beyond that. The only endgame that whole thing ever really had was them selling the rights back to WB.

I do think its a shame that Superman didn't end up in the public domain though. Sure, public domain isnt a great place to be in, but you do get some amazing stuff from it now and then, like the BBC Sherlock. I'd take that over the Superman WB is giving us.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    That is not going to happen.

What DC is trying to do is increase their sales. They aren't going to go back to what was selling worse than what's selling now. The JSA title also completely rules out a return to the Pre-Flashpoint continuity.
    If what bleeding cool posted is true. But rebirth seems to be looking more like pre52

BANNED

It just occurred to me that a reboot would make it much easier for DC to deal with the Secret ID problem.

The more I think about Rebirth, the more worried I get.