Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    "The search for "importance" by the super hero comic audience is a problem, a disease."

I am astonished by that reply coming from the author of one of the most mediocre Wolverine books ever. Rather than addressing the question with humility, he's admitting that there will be no long term significance to his story and anyone expecting something different has a problem. He has not earned the right to dictate what readers' expectations should be.

I picked up the last issue because it had Shang-Chi and Iron Fist, but I don't think I can support a pompous asshole like Cornell anymore than that.
    It didn't come off that way and I also agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    It didn't come off that way and I also agree with him.
    I understand what he was saying and tend to agree... but I can also see the way Geno interpreted it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I understand what he was saying and tend to agree... but I can also see the way Geno interpreted it.
    It takes courage to speak the truth about comic readers, or any group really, because nobody wants to hear anything critical about themselves. The fact that he said
    that about the very community that helps him earn a living implies that he is convinced that attitude is detrimental to the comic industry. Why not try to listen to criticism
    occasionally instead of attacking back with insults? Why not take a day off from being confrontational (if anybody here can). You might be amazed at how much you can learn
    if you aren't arguing over everything. This wasn't directed at you, cc008. I went on a rant from what I started with.

Isn't it too long? If you really respect Wolverine, do it faster.
    In dog days, all we need is Frost.

Spectacular Member

I think worrying about the life and death of super heroes is pretty meaningless. The search for "importance" by the super hero comic audience is a problem, a disease. The only thing that's important is story. If it's a good story, it's important and meaningful. Saying 'I'll bet he'll be back within a week' is to proudly affirm that you know Kermit is just a puppet.
    This is the best thing I've ever read in an interview with a comic writer. I couldn't possibly agree more.

That said, this run has been beyond bad and I'm only still reading it because it leads up to Death of Wolverine. I've frequently enjoyed Cornell's work, but he's missed pretty much every mark with Wolverine as far as I'm concerned. When Wolverine comes back from the dead I hope he's back to basics. No scar. No Tattoo. Healing factor. Not in charge of the X-Men. With him out of the way, maybe the Schism will be able to heal, and he'll politely bow to Cyclops and Storm's authority when he returns. Then he can be the badass loner he's meant to be.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

I agree lightning. Except the loner part lol he cant be a truue loner. Not with his sidekicks lol. But anyway I know what you mean. I hope so too that hell come back better then ever
    X-Men Forever

Where is that cover on the homepage? It's not in the article.

This series started out a little chaotic. It has improved, but not to a point where it's worth getting overly excited about Wolverine's impending death. I feel like Cornell's series was just so disconnected compared to the other X-books. It starts out with Wolverine sleeping with a new woman, being part of a new team, and having this obscure mission that didn't make sense. It has become somewhat clearer, but it feels so random at times. I also didn't like his response to the Storm question. Wolverine and Storm got so much closer in the previous series and to just throw that away here, even with his pending death, feels like a huge waste. But we all know Wolverine isn't going to stay dead. He's Marvel's most popular character. Keeping him dead is like throwing away bails of money and no business can afford such luxury.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

If Cornell makes an equivalent statement about the publishers and their hype machine doing their dead-level best to convince the retailers, the readership, and the outside media that this quarter's sales gimmick actually lends importance to a superhero comic, then I'll give his point deeper thought. Because like heck the cynicism toward this kind of overhyped, overpriced stunt is solely an issue to be laid at the feet of the target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    But we all know Wolverine isn't going to stay dead. He's Marvel's most popular character. Keeping him dead is like throwing away bails of money and no business can afford such luxury.
    He's one of Marvel's most merchandisable characters anyway. Killing him off in the comics won't matter much so long as he's still selling T-shirts.

I just find it kind of funny that he didn't answer any of the tough questions. Maybe they weren't asked, and maybe CBR chooses which questions to ask him...but a lot of posters including myself were asking why Wolverine would be afraid of death all of a sudden when he's died before, and he has gone into battles knowing that the was going to die, and he didn't show any fear then? And it seems like we won't get an answer to that.

I also agree. Reboot wolverine, but not the whole series, Marvel, please....

Quote Originally Posted by LightningBug View Post
    This is the best thing I've ever read in an interview with a comic writer. I couldn't possibly agree more.

That said, this run has been beyond bad and I'm only still reading it because it leads up to Death of Wolverine. I've frequently enjoyed Cornell's work, but he's missed pretty much every mark with Wolverine as far as I'm concerned. When Wolverine comes back from the dead I hope he's back to basics. No scar. No Tattoo. Healing factor. Not in charge of the X-Men. With him out of the way, maybe the Schism will be able to heal, and he'll politely bow to Cyclops and Storm's authority when he returns. Then he can be the badass loner he's meant to be.

I'm Drowning For You Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    If Cornell makes an equivalent statement about the publishers and their hype machine doing their dead-level best to convince the retailers, the readership, and the outside media that this quarter's sales gimmick actually lends importance to a superhero comic, then I'll give his point deeper thought. Because like heck the cynicism toward this kind of overhyped, overpriced stunt is solely an issue to be laid at the feet of the target audience.

He's one of Marvel's most merchandisable characters anyway. Killing him off in the comics won't matter much so long as he's still selling T-shirts.
    And which , in addition to the fact that he'll be back in a year's time (I'm being generous), makes all the "noise" about his impending death all the more ridiculous and pointless.

"You see it here first! For the 100th time...Wolverine's death...and the Marvel (and Image and DC) universe is irrevocably changed, for all eternity...again!"

A year later...

"Guess who's back? The same but brand new...WOLVERINE...in his new ongoing and the Marvel (and Image and DC) universe is irrevocably changed, for all eternity...again!" (Be sure to collect all 500 variant covers of the epic new series).

Yay! Gimmick!

Even if you are a hard-core "don't read anything but Wolverine" fan (and especially if you are a hard-core fan) you would have to an absolute *really, really bad word* to fall for that sort of gimmickery.

I guess the only real "importance" to this cliche is how much money Marvel can fleece from their "unwitting" and completely gullible readership.
    Last edited by Imraith Nimphais; 06-18-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

I agree with most here, although I don't think Wolverine necessarily needed a REBOOT as much as he needed to be better protected by editorial.
    Despite his popularity Logan is NOT Spidey, he shouldn't have ever starred in 7 monthly titles or been crammed into every team book on the stands.
    No character can be spread THAT thin and still remain the compelling "must read" experience they once were.
    It's a shame because you just know there were some true gems lost amongst the flood of pointless "guest appearances".
    Greediness is what messed up Wolverine, not a missing healing factor.

I still think Cornell is an excellent writer but he just has not been able to find Logan's voice.
    When I read this volume or the last volume it still felt well written when it came to the supporting cast and the action within, it was just the voice of Wolverine simply did not sound like Wolverine.
    It's like he's using the wrong character to tell what could have been a very strong story.
    Switch out Logan for a Matt Murdock or a Bucky Barnes for instance and this might have been seen as an epic run.
    After all these major changes; a new costume, a new cast , a new direction, it still stands as a largely forgettable run and the fact that the conclusion was widely predicted and spoiled way, WAY in advance definitely didn't help. But then again how great could it be when a rather predictable run of the mill "powerless" Wolverine theme was chosen as the catalyst for "big sweeping changes"?

Also, while I do agree fans shouldn't get all bent out of shape over comics in general, I don't think it's exactly fair to blame long-time readers for looking for the "importance" of a story that is being billed by the publisher as (and I quote) "the most important X-Men event in decades". This is why readers where expecting a good story with "important" (AKA Long-lasting) ramifications for the character in question. It's not the reader's fault that the Publisher is deciding to render the writer's storytelling efforts meaningless within months. There were a lot of missteps here and they most certainly are not due to fan expectations.

Plus, as much as it pains me to say it as a fan of Cornell's past work it's pretty clear to most that Soule wouldn't have been tapped for the actual "Death Arc" if Cornell had a better handle on the character. Has there ever been a time where one writer sets up a story for years on end only for another writer to swoop in and enjoy the prestige? I certainly hope not.

As I wrote in my previous post, I think that Mr. Cornell did not like to answer the question about superheroes' death in the comics and his response was evasive, which was understandable for all the reasons that others have already mentioned. With that been said, I also think that while he might not wanted to criticize Marvel's decision over the death of Wolverine, he also might not wanted to defend it, at least from what I can tell considering his response.

But his answer concerning the importance of death leaves much room for interpretation. Now, according to his response character deaths in the comics are not as important as the storylines. But, what about the deaths of Tomas and Martha Wayne and Jayson Todd for Batman, Ben Parker and Gwen Stacy for Spider-Man, Mariko for Wolverine or Storm's parents? And even if the above mentioned are not superheroes, but only “regular” men and women, aren't their deaths important? Are not character defying for those they affected? Are they only, used to tell a story? Well, from my point of view, that is not the case for many comic book writers.

Again, I am not trying to attack Mr. Cornell, I simply state my opinion over this matter, as he has done. I simply think that, if he truly wanted to defend Marvel's decision over this, his answer would be a bit more supportive. After all it is Marvel which states the importance of Wolverine's death and the consequences that will have in the Marvel universe as a whole.

heysuess

I'm betting that Logan doesn't even die. I think "The Death of Wolverine" is a metaphorical death of the Wolverine persona. No more Stabby McRagestab. Just mild-mannered Professor Howlett, sculptor of young minds.