View Poll Results: Is anyone else sick of the DC bashing?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

92 56.44%
  • No

71 43.56%
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Nazi comparisons are never cool. Don't do that. And it's too bad you're not buying. but the New 52 was a BIG success for DC. They'll take that tradeoff, I'm sure.
    I agree with all this, Trey. People who aren't buying, start buying, even if it's just the entirety of the Johns Justice League and current Martian Manhunter runs. You will NOT regret it, and funding J'onn's title in particular will support an absolutely terrific title with a great and creative story and excellent art imo.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Nazi comparisons are never cool. Don't do that. And it's too bad you're not buying. but the New 52 was a BIG success for DC. They'll take that tradeoff, I'm sure.
    It wasn't a comparison per se so much as pointing out that opposition to "change" doesn't mean you're some kinda throwback. It's obvious anecdotal hyperbole pointing out what should be obvious, not all change is good, not all resistance to change is bad. I could have used any number of historical comparisons, Native Americans saying "ugh... I don't like the way this is going" when colonization started, Lars von Trier saying "gah, do they really need to do that" when Steven King remade Kingdom. I hope I was pretty clearly not comparing DC to the Nazis.

Added:

Ehh... I got the first few issues of DW and left with the feeling that it was a pale imitation of the forth world and I was pretty unimpressed with Darksied's Daughter or her mom. In general I respectfully disagree about DC's current output or strategies. I keep up with the trades hoping to find the sorts of stories I loved about DC but the more time passes the less I'm inclined to think that'll happen.
    Last edited by Prisoner 6655321; 02-11-2016 at 08:37 AM.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    Some change is good, some is bad, what's important is the nature and reason(s) for those changes. Obviously this is hyperbole but using the sort of logic “those fans hate change” is oversimplifying something to the extreme but there were folks in Germany back in the 1920's that said “Man, I dunno if I should stick around for this Nazi shit” according to some of the logic professed here, these negative Nancies were just holding back progress, right? Obviously not, and to reiterate (not that I should need to), post-Flashpoint is nowhere as bad as the Beer Hall Putsch.
    Fucking hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    It wasn't a comparison per se so much as pointing out that opposition to "change" doesn't mean you're some kinda throwback. It's obvious anecdotal hyperbole pointing out what should be obvious, not all change is good, not all resistance to change is bad. I could have used any number of historical comparisons, Native Americans saying "ugh... I don't like the way this is going" when colonization started, Lars von Trier saying "gah, do they really need to do that" when Steven King remade Kingdom. I hope I was pretty clearly not comparing DC to the Nazis.

Added:

Ehh... I got the first few issues of DW and left with the feeling that it was a pale imitation of the forth world and I was pretty unimpressed with Darksied's Daughter or her mom. In general I respectfully disagree about DC's current output or strategies. I keep up with the trades hoping to find the sorts of stories I loved about DC but the more time passes the less I'm inclined to think that'll happen.
    Actually... looking at things...
    The success of DC has been hinged on-
    1. Batman and Detective getting their first #1 issues since the Golden Age
    2. Johns and Lee taking over Justice League with a new #1
    3. Batman and Justice League maintaining stability without a writer change since the relaunch.

I personally think the reboot aspect New52 got all the credit for DC's success in 2011 when there was much more actually influencing the turn around.
    Take out the reboot and what do you have..?

A line-wide relaunch.
    A major publicity push. Probably the biggest since 'Death of Superman'.
    Same-day digital began.
    Variant covers started in full swing with New52 and have increased each year since then.
    Geoff Johns and Jim Lee launched a new series featuring DC's A-Team.
    Detective Comics, Action Comics and Batman got their first #1 issues since the Golden Age.
    The comics code was dropped earlier in the year, also, which impacted storytelling.

Matter of fact, by the same logic...
    DC dropped the comics code in 2011, sales increased in 2011, therefore sales increased because DC dropped the comics code.
    Or...
    DC went same-day digital in 2011, sales increased in 2011, therefore sales increased because DC went same-day digital.

The reboot had a hand in it, but it wasn't the only reason for the sales turnaround.
    It's just the thing that gets pointed to, to redirect attention away from all the other factors.

Worth mentioning is that DC's current big two sellers, Batman and Justice League are, coincidently, the only two launch titles that never had a writer change, which usually leads to a drop in sales.
    They also mirror DC's two big sellers from before the reboot: Batman and Green Lantern (also by Johns).
    So, maybe the key to sales isn't rebooting, but rather having a quality team of creators on a book and maintaining consistency and stability.

And here we are just five short years later and the DCU is no more new reader friendly now than it was in 2010.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockym View Post
    No surprise there. Geoff Johns has always been about personal "wish fulfillment" and making all his fanboy fantasies come true. IMO, he's one of the biggest problems at DC and needs to be let go or fired before they can get better.
    I'm sorry but what? one of basically two current writers than DC has left that can move units on name alone is their biggest problems?

Also why must fans have this hypocritical nature about them when it comes on to removing bad stories from characters? because i'm pretty sure many of them same people that call Johns a fanboy from retconning Emerald Twilight from Hal Jordan are the same people that complains why DC won't retcon story X from character Y. so explain to me how is it ok for one but not for the other?
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    I'm sorry but what? one of basically two current writers than DC has left that can move units on name alone is their biggest problems?

Also why must fans have this hypocritical nature about them when it comes on to removing bad stories from characters? because i'm pretty sure many of them same people that call Johns a fanboy from retconning Emerald Twilight from Hal Jordan are the same people that complains why DC won't retcon story X from character Y. so explain to me how is it ok for one but not for the other?
    It's good that I did great in algebra or else I wouldn't have known the values of X and Y there.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It's good that I did great in algebra or else I wouldn't have known the values of X and Y there.
    I should add that I do agree with some type of retcon of X for character Y.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    So, maybe the key to sales isn't rebooting, but rather having a quality team of creators on a book and maintaining consistency and stability.
    Or maybe when sales are high, there's no reason to change creators.

BANNED

It's interesting that Snyder is leaving Batman for Detective...too bad he couldn't have hit titles that really could use him, like GL or Superman/Action Comics. Just my opinion, but the last in particular could really use a shot in the arm. Let's hope we get somebody better...as in BETTER in the Rebirth thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rockym View Post
    No surprise there. Geoff Johns has always been about personal "wish fulfillment" and making all his fanboy fantasies come true. IMO, he's one of the biggest problems at DC and needs to be let go or fired before they can get better.
    One of the most successful writers who's written a ton of best-selling runs for DC is their biggest problem, as well as the guy who's been majorly involved in helping adapt DC properties for other media.

Fantastic logic there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    One of the most successful writers who's written a ton of best-selling runs for DC is their biggest problem, as well as the guy who's been majorly involved in helping adapt DC properties for other media.

Fantastic logic there.
    Superman Unchained brought me back to comics, but Blackest Night and the Sinestro Corps War kept me there.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Well Batman and Justice League have been high sellers this whole time so I think there may be something to that. I think once a quality team is found for a book that actually seems to be a good fit they should just be left alone to work on that title for as long as they want to. To me it makes the book more consistent and stable for the duration of their run and easier for the next writer to come on as well. It allows for a much more cohesive continuity within the title as well. Books having long runs with the same creative team is one of the things I miss from when I started reading comics. Honestly, I don't think constant relaunches, renumberings and reboots are the way to go if you're wanting long term results. They're a great short term band-aid but that's about all they are.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 02-11-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Götterdämmerung View Post
    It's interesting that Snyder is leaving Batman for Detective...too bad he couldn't have hit titles that really could use him, like GL or Superman/Action Comics. Just my opinion, but the last in particular could really use a shot in the arm. Let's hope we get somebody better...as in BETTER in the Rebirth thing.
    I think Detective Comics is a good place for Snyder at the moment, for one Detective Comics needs a shot in the arm to be a top book again after all majority of the bat characters first appearances where in Detective Comics and Snyder as free reigns(yet he had alot of freedom over at Batman but this seems like he'll get more now)
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I should add that I do agree with some type of retcon of X for character Y.
    As long as the retcon helps the character rather than hurt, I'm for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    As long as the retcon helps the character rather than hurt, I'm for it.
    Absolutely, Sirzechs.