Super Moderator

Default The Mayo Report: "Walking Dead" January 2016 Performance, "Power Rangers" Franchise Potential

Marvel's overall dominance continues, DC Comics may be rebooting, and BOOM! Studios may have an expandable property on its hands.

Full article here.

Amazing Member

It seems to me that the Star Wars books are the big determining factor in this. Take a look at the Marvel character books that are NOT Star Wars, #1 issues, or part of some Event (Secret Wars), and you have a Spider-Man comic selling at 75,000 copies. Same in trade paperbacks. Star Wars has caused a great deal of this imbalance. You can say that if Marvel were not selling Star Wars comics, those books would be replaced by some other Marvel character(s), but the sales would not be as high. I'm wondering if someone can pull the Star Wars books out of these numbers and see where Marvel lands at that point. Is the audience for Star Wars comics the same as other comics? How large is the segment of people that only buy Star Wars comics because they don't enjoy comics per se, but they do love everything Star Wars. I would really like to see the comparison between publishers if you pulled out the Star Wars books.

King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glantern35 View Post
    I'm wondering if someone can pull the Star Wars books out of these numbers and see where Marvel lands at that point. Is the audience for Star Wars comics the same as other comics? How large is the segment of people that only buy Star Wars comics because they don't enjoy comics per se, but they do love everything Star Wars. I would really like to see the comparison between publishers if you pulled out the Star Wars books.
    If Marvel had 52.68% of the Top 300 comics then it would put them at 3,417,515 comics sold. The Star Wars books totaled 465,701 units which puts the units at 2,951,814 (sans Star Wars) and the new share would be 45.5%.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ferro View Post
    If Marvel had 52.68% of the Top 300 comics then it would put them at 3,417,515 comics sold. The Star Wars books totaled 465,701 units which puts the units at 2,951,814 (sans Star Wars) and the new share would be 45.5%.
    45.5%

omg terrible
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I went ahead and took out all the #1s + Secret Wars #9, Marvel had 2,013,436 units and a 31.04% share.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ferro View Post
    I went ahead and took out all the #1s + Secret Wars #9, Marvel had 2,013,436 units and a 31.04% share.
    Well you can't take out all the #1s, while #1 have doped sales, they continue to sell in lower numbers the subsequent months and are part of the market share. Deadpool / Spider Man or Uncanny X-Men won't sell 100-140.000 copies next month, but won't sell 0 copies either

True, so I went ahead and subtracted the #1s & Secret Wars #9 plus all Star Wars books from the total number. By doing that the total units are 5,083,232 units. Marvel has 39.61% share but DC has 32.49% share.