View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Axcend #4

0 0%
  • Mirror #1

4 12.50%
  • Nailbiter #20

4 12.50%
  • Paper Girls #5

5 15.63%
  • Pretty Deadly #8

6 18.75%
  • Saints #5

0 0%
  • Shutter #18

2 6.25%
  • Spawn #260

1 3.13%
  • Velvet #13

9 28.13%
  • The Walking Dead #151

1 3.13%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Nailbiter isn't even bad, but I feel like I come close to dropping it every arc. Then they suck me back in with the cliffhangers.

In a related note, I finally dropped Revival after 30-something issues of going nowhere fast. I'll read spoilers on how it ends at least lol

When Nailbiter started, Hannibal season 2 hadn;t even begun, and Nailbiter;s first arc seemed very rip-offy of Hannibal season 1, which was a glorified police procedural where fans running joke was "how is there a world with as many crazy serial killers as Hannibal?" and Nailbiter pretty much ran with that joke and added the concept "what if there was a supernatural reason for such a serial killer influx." As I type this, I become convinced that this is how Nailbiter was conceived, even if Williams didn;t intend it. I know the dude must watch Hannibal (I need to re-read letters pages where he suggests recent horror to confirm this) and was at least slightly influenced by it. Both series are different beasts after their opening arcs, but their beginnings are very similar.
    I like Nailbiter because to me it is like the Scream franchise in the sense that it pokes fun of cliche B rated horror movies. What makes me comeback to it every month is the fact that as an issue follows the all to familiar horror plot the cliffhangers are unpredictable like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    It's not that good. I enjoy it, but enjoy most horror, and most things Nailbiter tries to accomplish were done better with the TV adaption of Hannibal. If you don't already like horror, I doubt this will be the book to sell you on horror. Watch the movie It Follows instead.

Sorry to those trying to push it for contradicting you, but I try to give recommendations made on what I think others will enjoy, not based on how highly I personally enjoy it. Someone who votes for Pretty Deadly and Brubaker books isn;t going to like Nailbiter, they'd be better off re-reading Fatale if they want a spooky comic.
    Other superior horror comics that have class:
    Cullen Bunn's The Empty Man
    Alan Moore's current Providence
    Joe Hill's Locke & Key
    Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    While I disagree with you on the quality of Nailbiter (which I find to be one of the better examples of pop-horror in comics), I will concur with this recommendation. Locke & Key is fantastic.
    I've read Locke & Key, it's definitely one of my favorites. I also really enjoyed Fatale, though I don't know that i'd consider it to be a horror book necessarily. I have a very wide scope of interest, it's just that horror is usually pretty low on my list of priorities, I guess. Anyway, thanks for the feedback, my mind still isn't made up about Nailbiter, but i'll probably end up checking out the first volume at some point.