Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Overall, I liked the issue. Though I guess it's pretty obvious considering who the creative is, it felt like I was reading just the latest issue of Ultimate Spider-Man, no beats lost whatsoever. That's a good thing. Indeed, it felt great to see a Spider-Man in high school again, complete with all of the trials and twists of balancing high school life with superhero life.

I was miffed with the redesign over Blackheart though. The old design was classic!

As for Miles beating Blackheart with the toxic sting, I'm alright with it. Indeed, he didn't defeat Blackheart outright, just annoyed him.

Very glad to see Pete make an appearance here. I do wonder where all of the tension between Miles and Pete came from.

In any case, I'm intrigued. Looking forward to next issue!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Not sure i like Blackheart's new look as opposed to his classic one, though it makes me wonder if his daddy got a new look as well.

Miles is one of my favorites from the Ultimate Universe, so this book was in high anticipation. It didn't disappoint, but did leave me with some questions and thoughts that I know from being a long time comic reader will be answered "within time". Miles, as well as Ganke are a little older now, high schoolers, as opposed to middle schoolers, and for those of us who followed Miles' journey thus far, should be able to see that growth within their speech, as well as their look. (The amazing Sarah P)

I loved the re-introduction to Miles's world in the various character interactive moments with his friends, school life, and family.(As a teacher, I got a particular chuckle out of Miles having to use the restroom during a lesson....) Yes, I thought the defeat of Blackheart was just a little too easy, but it was serving as a smaller piece to an overall story...I can overlook it for now....apparently there will be a round 2 to all of this.

So questions that I think need an answer are:
    - Is everything the same as it was in the Ultimate U? Because the mother was clearly dead....so I am sure this will be eventually explained, or is she this universe's version. Does the dad still remember that Miles is Spider-Man or is he just trusting his son to do what's right? (As a father, that's how I read it. Mom's freaking out...but Dad is like ok, get it together, but it could be that he knows the secret).

- When there was an Ultimate U and a 616, I used to wonder if there was a 616 version of Miles Morales who would be considerably older, since Peter of the 616 world was older. And it is entirely possible that he didn't exist at all because maybe his parents didn't meet in 616....but anyway, if this is Miles reborn in the normal Marvel Universe proper....where did this genetically altered spider come from that bit him? He is obviously a teenager still, so what is the backstory of this in this world? It would be interesting if this time, the spider came from Parker Industries. Or are we to assume that Brooklyn Visions Academy, his mom, his dad, Ganke, Ganke's family, his neighborhood....all of that was shifted over to the new world? And what of his uncle, who was the Prowler in Ultimate? He played a big role in the development of Mile's as a hero....did that still happen, but differently? And he obviously wasn't the Prowler.....and is he also still alive now? Lots of new grounds to build on however, so we'll see as time goes on.

A solid start, lots of questions swirling around for me....I give it 8/10 for story, and 10/10 for art.

Quote Originally Posted by Tre Styles View Post
    Miles is one of my favorites from the Ultimate Universe, so this book was in high anticipation. It didn't disappoint, but did leave me with some questions and thoughts that I know from being a long time comic reader will be answered "within time". Miles, as well as Ganke are a little older now, high schoolers, as opposed to middle schoolers, and for those of us who followed Miles' journey thus far, should be able to see that growth within their speech, as well as their look. (The amazing Sarah P)

I loved the re-introduction to Miles's world in the various character interactive moments with his friends, school life, and family.(As a teacher, I got a particular chuckle out of Miles having to use the restroom during a lesson....) Yes, I thought the defeat of Blackheart was just a little too easy, but it was serving as a smaller piece to an overall story...I can overlook it for now....apparently there will be a round 2 to all of this.

So questions that I think need an answer are:
    - Is everything the same as it was in the Ultimate U? Because the mother was clearly dead....so I am sure this will be eventually explained, or is she this universe's version. Does the dad still remember that Miles is Spider-Man or is he just trusting his son to do what's right? (As a father, that's how I read it. Mom's freaking out...but Dad is like ok, get it together, but it could be that he knows the secret).

- When there was an Ultimate U and a 616, I used to wonder if there was a 616 version of Miles Morales who would be considerably older, since Peter of the 616 world was older. And it is entirely possible that he didn't exist at all because maybe his parents didn't meet in 616....but anyway, if this is Miles reborn in the normal Marvel Universe proper....where did this genetically altered spider come from that bit him? He is obviously a teenager still, so what is the backstory of this in this world? It would be interesting if this time, the spider came from Parker Industries. Or are we to assume that Brooklyn Visions Academy, his mom, his dad, Ganke, Ganke's family, his neighborhood....all of that was shifted over to the new world? And what of his uncle, who was the Prowler in Ultimate? He played a big role in the development of Mile's as a hero....did that still happen, but differently? And he obviously wasn't the Prowler.....and is he also still alive now? Lots of new grounds to build on however, so we'll see as time goes on.

A solid start, lots of questions swirling around for me....I give it 8/10 for story, and 10/10 for art.
    Bendis answers a lot of these questions in the CBR interview. It's on the main page and someone linked it here on the Spidey page. It's a good read. Oh and his Dad still knows.

Quote Originally Posted by frizb View Post
    Bendis answers a lot of these questions in the CBR interview. It's on the main page and someone linked it here on the Spidey page. It's a good read. Oh and his Dad still knows.
    Ahh ok. Thanks for that. I had not seen it. Well, it does answer most, in particular, that this is the regular Ultimate U Miles and everything that happened to him, happened to him...so his dad does know....and mom was resurrected. And Bendis mentioned this in the interview as well:

"For people who don't know, a few years ago we did a miniseries called "Spider-Men" where Peter Parker from the 616 came and met Miles from the Ultimate Universe. They had a very emotional adventure and I think it's the best thing Sara has ever drawn. It's absolutely beautiful, and there's a big cliffhanger about who Miles Morales might be in the 616. Now we get to start that ball rolling again after many years. I'm thrilled to start that storyline."

So....there is a older Miles perhaps? My brain hurts....lol. Just wait and see...

Although there's at least three concerns I have about Miles Morales now being part of the Marvel Universe that I think could be potential problems going forward, I found Spider-Man #1 to be very good and very accessible, even for someone who has never read either Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man or Miles Morales: Spider-Man before. And Sara Pichelli does some of her best work in this work, as well.

Stillanerd Reviews: Spider-Man #1
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Chicken View Post
    Meh
    From the previews I assumed it was a new character, not Blackheart + Lovecraft.
    Blackheart running away after one venom blast was terrible, and I'm assuming it was a joke. Does a being made of darkforce energy even have a nervous system?
    Also it seems incredibly stupid of Peter to just assume Miles did all that damage by himself, or that he would do it.
    Ganke was fun.
    6/10.
    Yeah, I don't know what this Blackheart is, but he just sounds like a Demon, son of Mephisto, and we don't yet know what Miles venom blasts are yet, because he disrupted Dr Dooms magic as well. I'd say Miles venom blast is something supernatural.

And I don't think Peter is accusing Miles of destroying the Avengers and all the damage. I think Peter is just wondering how he beat Blackheart?

Quote Originally Posted by Tre Styles View Post
    Ahh ok. Thanks for that. I had not seen it. Well, it does answer most, in particular, that this is the regular Ultimate U Miles and everything that happened to him, happened to him...so his dad does know....and mom was resurrected. And Bendis mentioned this in the interview as well:

"For people who don't know, a few years ago we did a miniseries called "Spider-Men" where Peter Parker from the 616 came and met Miles from the Ultimate Universe. They had a very emotional adventure and I think it's the best thing Sara has ever drawn. It's absolutely beautiful, and there's a big cliffhanger about who Miles Morales might be in the 616. Now we get to start that ball rolling again after many years. I'm thrilled to start that storyline."

So....there is a older Miles perhaps? My brain hurts....lol. Just wait and see...
    That previous adventure with Miles and Peter by Sara looks like something we have to get?

It would be confusing if a 616 Miles existed in Peters reality, and now UU miles and 616 Miles could meet. It would be like teen Scott and Old Scott meeting again. We can only hope the 616 Miles is different enough that they don't start doing the same things.

Sara definitely has made this Miles much older now, than he was in UU and SW. He's lankier now and fills out his clothes more. I think he looks 6 foot tall.
    Last edited by jackolover; 02-07-2016 at 03:23 AM.

Mighty Member

Miles didn't seem to actually beat Blackheart, the sting clearly affected him but he didn't seem totally defeated, then he suddenly took off and Peter appeared.

Anyhow, overall really good issues Miles and Ganke friendship is on of the best things about this book and Ganke had some good lines.

I understand why Bendis decided not to focus son Miles dealing with the fact that his Mom has been resurrected and the jump to a new universe because it would have bog down the book a bit, however, going but his interview it looks like that it is something that will be dealt with in some way.

This was a good issue and I enjoyed it. I noticed Miles Morales character seems a little more mature than his earlier run in Ultimate Spiderman. Funny how Miles is so shallow towards girls.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    For all we know, issue 2 will show that the situation's not nearly as dire as we're being set up to believe it is so we'll be more motivated to pick up the comic next month. If Bendis has any regard for Peter's character and the camaraderie he and Miles built up over their previous encounters, he'll probably have Peter more just wanting to know what the hell happened and not actually blaming Miles for it.
    I'm thinking more like he's gonna scold hi for ditching school.

Solid start here. As expected, the art was phenomenal. And Bendis does a nice job balancing the stories of Miles, and Spider-Man, which I hope he continues to do throughout.

Good first issue. It really maintained the same feel as USM, didn't feel like any beats were missed there. I still think its really odd that he was moved over to 616, but maybe thats really ok because it gives him so many more story possibilities.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

For those complaining that Miles shouldn't have been able to best Memphisto's son, let me explain what probably happened. Back in "Black Panther:The Client" , Memphisto was out of his dimension so long, that all T'challa had to do was walk up too him, punch him and rip his heart out. The same thing probably applied to BlackHeart, Miles came in late on that Fight, by then BlackHeart's powers had probably weakened just enough for Miles to be able to best him.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Cons

- Drawing of faces in the class room - I usually enjoy Pichelli's artwork but found it off in that part.
    - Peter's reaction at the end was kinda dumb. I was like ''well, where were you?''

Pros

- Ganke. Well, he's just Ganke isn't he? LOL I'm hoping to see his LEGO fortress soon though.
    - Scene where his mum was yelling at him down the phone then his Dad just casually talking to him was a cool scene.
    - The dating talk was the right amount of cringeworthy

Overall I thought it was a promising start so I give it a 7 out of 10