Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    that's like saying the avengers is tony's creation. people and teams change. this one has changed so much that steve just has no role with them any longer. it's just a matter of fact - it's not personal. he would be more useful and relevant somewhere else.
    Clearly Steve does have a role, because he's right there in the book. Saying he has NO role is an opinion, not a fact... because he's clearly there and clearly being used.

And the Avengers at least in PART was Tony's creation. He was a founder. Though he doesn't get quite as much credit as Steve since Steve went out with the agenda of creating the Unity Team, while in the case of the Original Founders the Avengers just sort of came together accidentally.

Speaking of no connection ... Sin actually has no direct biological connection to this Red Skull since this Red Skull was a revived clone of the 1940s original?

BANNED

Steve Rogers is needed because the mission of the unity squad it's to present to the world the message that super heroes, mutants and inhumans can coexist and work together. Steve is america's most respected and loved super heroe, people respect him, the media listen to him and he gives credibility to the whole concept. Except for johnny storm the others have not a really good media and public profile.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    Steve Rogers is needed because the mission of the unity squad it's to present to the world the message that super heroes, mutants and inhumans can coexist and work together. Steve is america's most respected and loved super heroe, people respect him, the media listen to him and he gives credibility to the whole concept. Except for johnny storm the others have not a really good media and public profile.
    Yeah, Steve is absolutely essential to this team. Wouldn't make much sense to lose him.

All-New Member

I think Steve should be off any Avengers team and not even go back to Captain America when he regains his youth. Figure out a new identity, temporarily. Get away from New York and the Avengers. Remender and Hickman have put him thru so much, give the guy a chance to get his bearings. Make his return as dramatic and meaningful as it can be. My two cents,anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGunn View Post
    I think Steve should be off any Avengers team and not even go back to Captain America when he regains his youth. Figure out a new identity, temporarily. Get away from New York and the Avengers. Remender and Hickman have put him thru so much, give the guy a chance to get his bearings. Make his return as dramatic and meaningful as it can be. My two cents,anyway.
    While it pains me...that wouldn't be too bad of an idea. Maybe if that had happened during the '8 months later' thing...not with Cap A Civil War around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    Speaking of no connection ... Sin actually has no direct biological connection to this Red Skull since this Red Skull was a revived clone of the 1940s original?
    Well he's the clone of her father as he's Johann Shmidt rather than any of the others so he's biologically her father.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGunn View Post
    In theory Steve Rogers is a graphics artist who has actually drawn comics in his version of the Marvel Universe?

I've learned to be inherently skeptical of cover art. Ever since Astonishing X-men #44, I've always taken them with a grain of salt. This issue gives me an even better reason. It wasn't just misleading. It was an outright trick. Now it's not the worst trick Marvel has ever pulled with a cover. Not by a long shot. But I find it somewhat frustrating that Marvel insists on breaking up or undermining every iconic romance they've ever created. While Rogue/Gambit might not be in the same league as Reed/Sue or Peter/Mary Jane, it was a major source of drama in the 90s. This was a good chance to tap into it. Instead, it just became another ruse. I think that's just asinine. But at the very least, Uncanny Avengers is becoming a lot more interesting lately with the return of the Red Skull. He's the catalyst for what started Uncanny Avengers. It's fitting that he keep things going so I wouldn't call this issue a total loss.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Wasn't the main problem with the first unity team that Rogers wanted Havok to lead the team and be the public face of the team so that people can see that mutants and humans can co-exist and mutants can serve a just as useful purpose in society yet Rogers couldn't help being a back seat drive and made Havok feel that he wasn't really in charge?

Doesn't having Rogers in total charge defeat the original purpose that the unity squad was created for?

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Clearly Steve does have a role, because he's right there in the book. Saying he has NO role is an opinion, not a fact... because he's clearly there and clearly being used.

And the Avengers at least in PART was Tony's creation. He was a founder. Though he doesn't get quite as much credit as Steve since Steve went out with the agenda of creating the Unity Team, while in the case of the Original Founders the Avengers just sort of came together accidentally.
    yeah, again. it's nothing personal. he may have "a" role on the team, but he certainly doesn't have an "essential" role, or even a "significant" role. his "role" could be done with a number of other characters who could arguably do a better job than him.

if you need a celebrity for public trust, that's why we have johnny storm. if you need a super hero who is both a mutant x-man and long-time avenger, that is what beast is for. or firestar. or justice. see how this works?

if you need a verteran avenger, that's what quicksilver is for. steve brings nothing whatsoever unique to the table that couldn't be supplied or leveraged by another hero or avenger or x-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yeah, Steve is absolutely essential to this team. Wouldn't make much sense to lose him.
    absolutely not essential in any way, shape, or fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Wasn't the main problem with the first unity team that Rogers wanted Havok to lead the team and be the public face of the team so that people can see that mutants and humans can co-exist and mutants can serve a just as useful purpose in society yet Rogers couldn't help being a back seat drive and made Havok feel that he wasn't really in charge?

Doesn't having Rogers in total charge defeat the original purpose that the unity squad was created for?
    You are right but do not forget he chose Havok for being brother of Cyclops. He wanted Havok becomes the new voice of mutant species but after being inverted in Axis that option no longer exists. With the threat of mist inhuman most mutants and X-mens isolated or disappeared after the alleged attack of Cyclops to the Inhumans. He could not use Rogue as a public figure representing the mutants and Storm was busy saving mutants. So without better options he had to assume the leadership of the team and be a public figure again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    You are right but do not forget he chose Havok for being brother of Cyclops. He wanted Havok becomes the new voice of mutant species but after being inverted in Axis that option no longer exists. With the threat of mist inhuman most mutants and X-mens isolated or disappeared after the alleged attack of Cyclops to the Inhumans. He could not use Rogue as a public figure representing the mutants and Storm was busy saving mutants. So without better options he had to assume the leadership of the team and be a public figure again.

Rogue and Him are public figures.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    yeah, again. it's nothing personal. he may have "a" role on the team, but he certainly doesn't have an "essential" role, or even a "significant" role. his "role" could be done with a number of other characters who could arguably do a better job than him.

if you need a celebrity for public trust, that's why we have johnny storm. if you need a super hero who is both a mutant x-man and long-time avenger, that is what beast is for. or firestar. or justice. see how this works?

if you need a verteran avenger, that's what quicksilver is for. steve brings nothing whatsoever unique to the table that couldn't be supplied or leveraged by another hero or avenger or x-men.

absolutely not essential in any way, shape, or fashion.
    I'm not sure it's necessariy true that Steve's role could be done better by others.

Steve probably has more public and government support than almost any other super hero on the planet. For a super hero team dealing with PR issues, that's potentially valuable. There are other heroes that COULD work certainly... but few if any work better than Steve.

Steve's presence also means we've got a team dealing with mutant issues which will not only won't be harashed by the US government but in fact will likely get supported by it from time to time. In the past at least it hasn't been that uncommon for SHIELD to back them up... even now, we're seeing that in Squadron Supreme.

And in story terms, I if the Red Skull is involved in a larger story arc I imagine Steve will play a pretty big role in that. Skull made it pretty clear it's still VERY personal. Essentially the books big bad is Steve Rogers arch enemy... so Steve adds another layer to that conflict that another random Avenger wouldn't.

red skull is just carrying around xavier's brain. yes, it's personal. it's personal for the x-men too.

but that takes a back seat to the fact that psycho mutilated our beloved professor's corpse and is using it to troll steve rogers.

if anyone is going to take out the red skull from this point forward, it will be an x-man.