Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ok this is just my thoughts on it. We have plenty of opportunities to explore race in more appropriate places. Bendis loves Luke Cage, why not write a more mature reader mini specifically to explore whatever issues he wants? How many long running high profile superhero titles do we have to give an 8 or 10 year old? I don't know what he plans on writing, but I would really hope the message isn't going to be - even if you do something great like saving lives people wont like you as much because your black. We loved you more when we thought you were a white guy is a terrible message for kids.

I don't know however, what the message will be.

I'm not saying I'm not gonna give the benefit of doubt to Bendis, I really enjoyed the first issue. I know what path would turn me off completely though.

I hate to say crabby old Alan Moore is right since it probably makes me old and crabby. Sometimes Spider-Man comic books should just be a really great Spider-Man comic books. Bendis has the clout to explore race in all kinds of better avenues. Hell he could do a Mini-series with Miles if he wanted too.

Maybe I am just showing my age. I'm gonna reserve judgement until the issue hits the stands. Really just commented again now because I was quoted a couple of times.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think a book starring a teen Spider-Man in NY dealing with race, among many other things, is absolutely what 8 and 10 year olds should be seeing. When I was a kid that stuff wasn't even touched by the comics. Maybe at least not outside of Cage, a comic no one I knew was reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Superhero books have been soap boxes in one way or the other since the 60's, with Spider-Man being one of the most prominent examples. One of the most longstanding and popular supporting characters is an agenda pushing rabble rouser. Why should these stories suddenly change tone and handle issues with kiddie gloves just because the protagonist facing those issues is a different person?
    I think there is a difference between Spider-Man shedding light on racism, and Spider-Man being the victim of racism. I hope Bendis gets it right.

Comic books are a medium that relies heavily on visual shorthand, and can be experienced briefly (it'll take under twn minutes to read a single issue of a Bendis comic.) This does make exploring controversial topics difficult, which is one reason I get a bit nervous about attempts to deal with contemporary topics. It's been done well, but it can also be done clumsily.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets