Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Have you ever bought a Second Printing?

I see updates all the time that popular issues are going back for a second, even third printing sometime. I always wonder who actually buys them, assuming they're aware its a second printing??

If you're a collector, I can't imagine you want a second print in your run. If you just want to read that issue because you missed it, its so far after the initial pub date that you could have bought a digital copy.

If I miss an issue, and I can't find it at any of my LCS's, I'll go online for a copy before I'd consider getting a 2nd print copy.

Although one exception, I did buy the Obama (fourth printing!) issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

BANNED

Sadly there is a market for multiple printings because its a smaller printing with a variant cover. Then the books get entombed and thrown on ebay and fetch good money....I see it all the time..insanity.

Well digital copies are new, in comparison to second printings. I will assume you mean in the past few years when digital comics are more prevalent. I'm not sure if every comic is available on-line.

A collector might buy a second printing to be able to read the comic and wait until a first printing becomes more readily available. Right now a comic might be he hottest thing around, but 6 months from now, much easier to find one.

I don't buy digital copies, so I will let someone who buys digital copies versus second printing. But I will say, given a choice between Issue 1 as digital and the rest of my issues in paper form, and that is the only digital comic I own, why would I do that? Buy a second printing and have it to read along with the rest of my issues.

Going on-line to buy a first printing versus buying a second printing. Typically I have seen $5.00 for shipping unless you order so much. If there is only one comic I want, that adds more money. Again, why not buy the second printing now, and sometime in the future when I have a few things to order and can get free shipping.

Now I will say, the stupidest thing I ever saw was offered second printing of Vengeance of Bane signed by the author. It was a Dynamic forces exclusive. It was the same price as the first printing which was in high demand. The most worthless thing I ever saw.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    But I will say, given a choice between Issue 1 as digital and the rest of my issues in paper form, and that is the only digital comic I own, why would I do that? Buy a second printing and have it to read along with the rest of my issues.
    This is me. I would rather have a paper 2nd printing to go in my collection than digital. And I would not necessarily want to pay more than cover to get that first printing.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    This is me. I would rather have a paper 2nd printing to go in my collection than digital. And I would not necessarily want to pay more than cover to get that first printing.
    I'm gradually converting to digital now, for reasons of space. But I definitely prefer to have everything for a particular title in the same format.

When it was still possible, I used to wait six weeks then go and buy the newstand edition of a comic, if an issue of something suddenly became so hot that I couldn't get it at cover price when it came out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    I'm gradually converting to digital now, for reasons of space. But I definitely prefer to have everything for a particular title in the same format.

When it was still possible, I used to wait six weeks then go and buy the newstand edition of a comic, if an issue of something suddenly became so hot that I couldn't get it at cover price when it came out.
    I'm still all print for now, but if/when it becomes cheaper for me to get digital, I'll probably convert.

But then I'll have to make the decision on whether I want to continue to buy all print to fill the holes in my back issue collection, or buy digital when I can...

Is the question more "Have you ever bought a second printing?" or more specifically "Have you ever bought a second printing IN ADDITION TO a first printing?"
    I've bought some second printings if that was what was available or if I preferred the second printing cover to a first printing and I hadn't already bought the first printing. But I can't think of a time where I bought both the 2nd printing of a book I already had a 1rst printing copy.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Is the question more "Have you ever bought a second printing?" or more specifically "Have you ever bought a second printing IN ADDITION TO a first printing?"
    I've bought some second printings if that was what was available or if I preferred the second printing cover to a first printing and I hadn't already bought the first printing. But I can't think of a time where I bought both the 2nd printing of a book I already had a 1rst printing copy.
    To clarify, I was just asking if you ever bought a second printing, period.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Probably. I used to often mean to pick up an issue, delay, and see that the 2nd printing is out. Can't think of a specific instance though, the ones I can think of have worse covers the 2nd time around.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

short answer: yes

long answer: yes, sir.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

no but seriously, I do semi-frequently. Though it's pretty much just indies I don't really care to pay 4x more to get it online. Just recently I got Arcadia #1 2nd print at an LCS after all 5~7 of my LCS's didn't have the 1st print, and i was waiting for 4~5 months or so?

you presume everyone or every collector reads the same way. They don't.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Just an addendum, this sort of thing would happen if I just accidentally forgot to order a particular issue of an ongoing series that I normally buy, and by the time I realized it, 2nd printings are all that are pretty much available.

BANNED

I stopped caring about printing when I stopped caring about the collectible aspect of the hobby (not so much the collecting, I enjoy completing a run for the satisfaction of owning the run but care little to nothing about how much they're "worth"). That was about 15 years ago. So 2nd, 3rd, in a trade, printed again in the back of another comic (see the Vision in I believe Spider-Man/Deadpool). Whatever gets me my story. That's all I care about.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I stopped caring about printing when I stopped caring about the collectible aspect of the hobby (not so much the collecting, I enjoy completing a run for the satisfaction of owning the run but care little to nothing about how much they're "worth"). That was about 15 years ago. So 2nd, 3rd, in a trade, printed again in the back of another comic (see the Vision in I believe Spider-Man/Deadpool). Whatever gets me my story. That's all I care about.
    I will agree that I have absolutely no problem buying a trade for a run of issues that I might otherwise buy back issues for. I've got several Thor trades that "count" for their corresponding issues in my collection.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Exactly this, and that's the only sane way to be. Unless the market drastically changes the chances of our comics, no matter the printing, being worth much in the long haul are slim to nil so collecting with an eye on future value is a fools errand. There's a quick buck to be made in the short term for some issues but those key books aren't holding their value over time, so unless you're looking to flip your copy right here and now then it doesn't really matter if it's a first or eighth printing.