Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    So as I talk about in my latest review, I think it's evident that with ASM #7 that Slott is showing how, rather than using his new position as a CEO to get his priorities in order, Peter has put being Spider-Man almost over everyone and everything else (was I the only who went WTF!? over how "helping Spider-Man" takes a higher priority than doing cancer research?) and that, just like in ASM #5, he's so focused on stopping the bad guys that he has no clue that the real threats are right within his own company. But as I also explain, "instead of us rooting for Peter to succeed and figure out what’s really going on before it’s too late, we’re rooting for him to fail, if only for him to regain some much-needed humility."
    Peter isn't deliberately putting cancer research on the back burner. There's nothing indicated to say that he knows what he's asking Wu to set aside. Also, all we have so far is the word of one disgruntled employee in this regard. Wu could be using Peter as a convenient scapegoat in his conversation with Lian. It's too soon to know the full details.

As for Peter not knowing the real threats are in his company, this is typical Peter Parker - focused on one thing while setting himself up to be blindsided by something else.

And in regards to his supposed lack of humility - I think only a very warped reading of recent ASM would lead anyone to perceive Peter as being arrogant and in need of a comeuppance. Busy, stretched too thin, missing important details that will come back to bite him - yes. But everything he's doing is in the interest of pushing himself to do better, to be better. It's not as though he's smugly sitting back, perpetually pleased with himself. Instead, he's busting his ass night and day both as Peter and Spidey and all in the name of helping as many people as he can and solving as many problems as he can. He might have to learn the hard way that, even with everything that he has at his disposal, he still has limitations but I don't think he's on any particular ego trip in need of humility.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Peter isn't deliberately putting cancer research on the back burner. There's nothing indicated to say that he knows what he's asking Wu to set aside. Also, all we have so far is the word of one disgruntled employee in this regard. Wu could be using Peter as a convenient scapegoat in his conversation with Lian. It's too soon to know the full details.
    If he didn't know what research Dr. Wu was working on, doesn't that prove the point about Peter having Parker Industries put greater priority into "helping Spider-Man" over everything else? Because by not knowing what Wu was working on, it shows just how little Peter knows what really going on inside his own company. And all because, for Peter, its being Spider-Man is where he's putting all of his energies into. Even in the last issue, he tells Wu that Parker Industries "greatest discoveries came from helping out Spider-Man" and that whatever research Wu is working on can wait.

As for Peter not knowing the real threats are in his company, this is typical Peter Parker - focused on one thing while setting himself up to be blindsided by something else.
    Of course, and it's very clear that what Dan Slott is establishing with Peter being a CEO. Spider-Man, after all, isn't just about "with great power comes great responsibility." It's also about how difficult it is for someone to balance what one needs to do and what one feels they have to do.

And in regards to his supposed lack of humility - I think only a very warped reading of recent ASM would lead anyone to perceive Peter as being arrogant and in need of a comeuppance. Busy, stretched too thin, missing important details that will come back to bite him - yes. But everything he's doing is in the interest of pushing himself to do better, to be better. It's not as though he's smugly sitting back, perpetually pleased with himself. Instead, he's busting his ass night and day both as Peter and Spidey and all in the name of helping as many people as he can and solving as many problems as he can. He might have to learn the hard way that, even with everything that he has at his disposal, he still has limitations but I don't think he's on any particular ego trip in need of humility.
    I'm not saying Peter needs to be humbled because he's become selfish. Even now, everything he does is borne out of genuine desire to help other people. And I do agree his stretched himself too thin and is so busy trying to stop the bad guys and "save the world" that he's unwittingly made himself blind to what really going on under his nose. But I do think (and maybe this is just coming across in the writing) that Peter is operating on a certain level of arrogance, or at least pride in his own accomplishments in spite of the fact that he's "inherited" the company from Doc Ock, and that he now believe that, because he no longer has to worry about money, and because Spider-Man is now respected all over the world, that he has everything under control when he really doesn't. Besides, it's not the first time Peter gets a little full of himself, if also a little too complacent, when he thinks everything starts going his way. Hence why he has history of something which comes out of left field to bring back down to Earth.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Mighty Member

I wonder how this Spider-Man vs Lian battle is going to end.

Mighty Member

If he didn't know what research Dr. Wu was working on, doesn't that prove the point about Peter having Parker Industries put greater priority into "helping Spider-Man" over everything else? Because by not knowing what Wu was working on, it shows just how little Peter knows what really going on inside his own company. And all because, for Peter, its being Spider-Man is where he's putting all of his energies into. Even in the last issue, he tells Wu that Parker Industries "greatest discoveries came from helping out Spider-Man" and that whatever research Wu is working on can wait.

Of course, and it's very clear that what Dan Slott is establishing with Peter being a CEO. Spider-Man, after all, isn't just about "with great power comes great responsibility." It's also about how difficult it is for someone to balance what one needs to do and what one feels they have to do.

I'm not saying Peter needs to be humbled because he's become selfish. Even now, everything he does is borne out of genuine desire to help other people. And I do agree his stretched himself too thin and is so busy trying to stop the bad guys and "save the world" that he's unwittingly made himself blind to what really going on under his nose. But I do think (and maybe this is just coming across in the writing) that Peter is operating on a certain level of arrogance, or at least pride in his own accomplishments in spite of the fact that he's "inherited" the company from Doc Ock, and that he now believe that, because he no longer has to worry about money, and because Spider-Man is now respected all over the world, that he has everything under control when he really doesn't. Besides, it's not the first time Peter gets a little full of himself, if also a little too complacent, when he thinks everything starts going his way. Hence why he has history of something which comes out of left field to bring back down to Earth.
    Preventing a drug problem caused by Mr Negative Is just as important as cancer research. Or do you think Peter should let criminals and supervillians have their way? Last time Peter did that cost him Uncle Ben.

Fantastic Member

No one said trying to figure out a cure to the drug was a bad thing its just not the right thing he should be having his guy on the brink of a cancer cure should be handling. PI is a massive company with office in multiple countries how hard would it be to ship the sample to a different scientist that maybe isnt working on a cure that could save countless lives.

Mighty Member

Peter Felt that Wu was most qualified to handle the drug cure than any other PI researcher.

BANNED

Even if Peter knew, it's not as though he was diverting Wu to something frivolous. Stopping Mr. Negative is arguably a more immediate and, more likely, solvable problem. Just because Wu's cancer research was promising, it doesn't mean a cure was going to happen within the next day whereas as Mr. Negative's plans posed an immediate threat to many innocent lives.

I don't think Peter has been shown to be overly patting himself on the back for his accomplishments. He may have inherited the company from Ock but he's certainly made it his own, weathered attacks, and built the company far beyond where it started from. So a certain amount of pride wouldn't be misplaced. That's he's going to be sideswiped by developments ahead is certain but that's always been true of Spidey. Whenever Peter feels like he's got his act together, life kicks him in the nuts. This is just going to be the large-scale version of that scenario.

BANNED

Peter has been inept for too long, being a major player in world affairs makes him own up to his incapabilites and flaws as a hero who actually has the power and responsibilty of his words without being a hyporcrite Peter was borderline tragic and dark for a guy of his colorful concept so it's nice Pete can seriously grow from his mistakes and doubts as Spider-Man and be ambitious enough to start to make something out of his life as far as his neighborhood friendly purse snatcher on his webbing days. He doesn't look like a joke anymore, he's a real man now who sees his life as much more than guilt and sacrafice, more importantly he gets to help people see how much he has changed from a self doubting immature wisecracker to someone who can build success for himself and not hold himself back.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

So as I talk about in my latest review, I think it's evident that with ASM #7 that Slott is showing how, rather than using his new position as a CEO to get his priorities in order, Peter has put being Spider-Man almost over everyone and everything else (was I the only who went WTF!? over how "helping Spider-Man" takes a higher priority than doing cancer research?) and that, just like in ASM #5, he's so focused on stopping the bad guys that he has no clue that the real threats are right within his own company. But as I also explain, "instead of us rooting for Peter to succeed and figure out what’s really going on before it’s too late, we’re rooting for him to fail, if only for him to regain some much-needed humility."

Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man (2015) #7
    You're not the only one who went WTF over that. That was one of my cons.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    I wonder how this Spider-Man vs Lian battle is going to end.
    Complete guess. Lian is going to kick his ass for a bit and then Peter will find some way to disable the machine she's using, defeating and then finding out why she attacked him OR she will defeat him, knocking him unconscious and then bringing him to Zodiac.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    You're not the only one who went WTF over that. That was one of my cons.

Complete guess. Lian is going to kick his ass for a bit and then Peter will find some way to disable the machine she's using, defeating and then finding out why she attacked him OR she will defeat him, knocking him unconscious and then bringing him to Zodiac.
    Did Lian even care for Peter or was it just an act to obtain PI secrets? Is there anyone in PI who is actually on Peter's side?

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Pretty good middle chapter. Did not see the end coming. Looks like sajani may need an apology. Seeing Happy and normie was great miss them
    X-Men Forever

Peter seemed a lot happier as a scientist at Horizon Labs than as a CEO at PI. He only sees PI as more power and responsibility.
    I for one am waiting for the next epic incarnation when this current one falls to the Parker Luck: 'Prepper Parker'

"After the seizure of Parker Industries by the Skrull Empire, and as the Earth succumbs to their crushing New World Disorder, our hero forlornly chucks his 'MegaTecho Spider Armor'
    into the trashbin in the alleys behind PI Shanghai .. only to cry out "Spider-Stark NO MORE" in despair.

"Take the ride with us out to the middle of nowhere, as Peter drags Aunt May, Anna Maria (and the Living Brain! *ominous music*) along to help him chop down enough trees to
    build the new Spider-Cabin(TM).

"Will there even be a cell signal? Will he even CARE!?. Find out Summer 2017!"

How does Tony Stark deal with that?
    Just like James Bond does. Or .. did, yeah.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Did Lian even care for Peter or was it just an act to obtain PI secrets? Is there anyone in PI who is actually on Peter's side?
    LOL It doesn't look like anyone on P.I is really on his side does it? I get the impression that while she thinks Peter is a good guy, she's clearly desperate enough to work with the Zodiac in regards to finding that cure.