Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default Bringing Back Ben Reilly

With the sudden increase in Spider-themed characters emerging recently does anyone else think that now is the time to bring back Ben Reilly? I know that the Clone Saga got a lot of flack back in the day but at the same time Ben has always seemed to have been fairly well received even in the light of everything that happened during that time. Even with his body disintegrated it's not like it would be that hard to bring him back considering the events of One More Day, Jackal's cauldron of clones, the Spider-Verse, and any other number of superhero tropes that could be used to circumvent his present status. I feel like there are so many opportunities for him to explore that Marvel could be exploiting.

Well while 616 Ben's body disintegrated, leaving him dead at the end of the Clone Saga, we never saw a body with the one from Scarlet Spiders leaving the door open for them to be bring him back if they ever wanted to.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

And we do have Mister Sinister's small army of Ben Reilly clones from Wolverines #5-6, who really should make a comeback appearance at some point as adversaries or uneasy allies-slash-acquaintances of Peter and Kaine.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Posted this elsewhere, but Contest of Champions seems to be a way to bring him back.

It's a book with time travel, so it's plausible that they can pluck him from before he dies (and find some way to replace him to keep him alive if they want to go in that direction.) It gives that title someone with Spider-Man's power set, as well as a loyal fan following, which might result in a small bump in sales without hurting the brand of a title that has the 1990s British Punisher as one of the major characters.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member

As long as Tom Brevoort is at Marvel Ben Reilly is not coming back PERIOD The man has made his position on Ben crystal clear for many years so hoping against hope for a return so long as he's there is just an exercise in futility imho.

I'm all revved up for the future of the original Scarlet Spider! I sent Axel Alonso of Marvel Entertainment a hot idea: Have the Ben Reilly-Scarlet Spider become a member of a new Excalibur team! That's right... "Scarlet Spider: The UK Adventures!!!" This'll be a masterpiece with the right writer and artists on board!... Plus, a new black partner for the Scarlet Spider!
    Last edited by Carloshll726; 02-06-2016 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Posted this elsewhere, but Contest of Champions seems to be a way to bring him back.

It's a book with time travel, so it's plausible that they can pluck him from before he dies (and find some way to replace him to keep him alive if they want to go in that direction.) It gives that title someone with Spider-Man's power set, as well as a loyal fan following, which might result in a small bump in sales without hurting the brand of a title that has the 1990s British Punisher as one of the major characters.
    Yep! This book could be a great way to bring anyone back. They just just did it with Nighthrasher so who knows.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I doubt it but you never know I guess.

My core problem with clones (Reilly, Kane, etc.) is that up until the time of their "birth"/activation, They haven't truly "earned" any of their relationships, compared to the original. Absolutely none. They might feel similar emotions, have the "same" memories, but they didn't earn any of it. It's not the same thing as a twin, not by a long shot. Twins don't have note-for-note POV recollection of every single thing they've experienced, even if in the same room.

It would be creepy to me for Kaine to try and date any of Peter's exes because he "knew" them previously.

Miles Morales is a better concept to run with since this is an entirely different character, and it isn't dependent on redundant angst generated from "I'm Peter Parker but not really"....

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    My core problem with clones (Reilly, Kane, etc.) is that up until the time of their "birth"/activation, They haven't truly "earned" any of their relationships, compared to the original. Absolutely none. They might feel similar emotions, have the "same" memories, but they didn't earn any of it. It's not the same thing as a twin, not by a long shot. Twins don't have note-for-note POV recollection of every single thing they've experienced, even if in the same room.

It would be creepy to me for Kaine to try and date any of Peter's exes because he "knew" them previously.
    I follow your line of thought, but I'm wondering why it's an issue for you when what you describe has never really been a part of any Spider book. Any relationship Ben or Kaine "haven't truly earned" was actively ran away from by both men. In his solo series, Kaine moved to Houston to completely remove himself from Peter Parker's life. And back in the days of the Clone Saga, even when he was back in NYC, Ben actively tried to stay away from anyone who knew Peter so that people wouldn't ask questions.

In fact, that's one of the major arguments in FAVOR of having these guys back: having them in a book requires us to ponder what it would mean to let go of a life that every part of your being says is your own.

-Pav, who only wants Ben back in the hands of the right writer *cough*I'lldoit*cough*...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I follow your line of thought, but I'm wondering why it's an issue for you when what you describe has never really been a part of any Spider book. Any relationship Ben or Kaine "haven't truly earned" was actively ran away from by both men. In his solo series, Kaine moved to Houston to completely remove himself from Peter Parker's life. And back in the days of the Clone Saga, even when he was back in NYC, Ben actively tried to stay away from anyone who knew Peter so that people wouldn't ask questions.

In fact, that's one of the major arguments in FAVOR of having these guys back: having them in a book requires us to ponder what it would mean to let go of a life that every part of your being says is your own.

-Pav, who only wants Ben back in the hands of the right writer *cough*I'lldoit*cough*...

great point. i'd add that (last i heard) kaine didn't have any of peter's memories, other than a fuzzy fondness for the things he loved.

and i'd further add that scientifically speaking, there is no difference between exact copies, as all experience and personality is simply data. if the data can be replicated exactly then the "copy" is no less deserving than the "original". also see star trek transporter theory. the only thing that complicates that is if you believe in souls.
    troo fan or death

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    great point. i'd add that (last i heard) kaine didn't have any of peter's memories, other than a fuzzy fondness for the things he loved.

and i'd further add that scientifically speaking, there is no difference between exact copies, as all experience and personality is simply data. if the data can be replicated exactly then the "copy" is no less deserving than the "original". also see star trek transporter theory. the only thing that complicates that is if you believe in souls.
    Which, from what I've heard, contradicts the scene in Spider-Man: Redemption (starring Ben Reilly as Spider-Man at the time) where Kaine admits to Ben that he remembers living Peter's life up until he woke up in the Jackal's cloning chamber. Other than that, Chris Yost did a very bang-up job (re)defining Kaine's character in his Scarlet Spider and New Warriors series --- a worthy successor to J.M. DeMatteis, in my view.
    The spider is always on the hunt.