Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Default Sheriff of Babylon #3 Discussion

Can't believe there is no thread for what might be the best book at DC/Vertigo right now. Tom King and Mitch Gerads is a match made in heaven and hope the continue to collaborate after this.

This issue was crazy. So much s**t hit the fan. Some questions answered while 1,000 more get asked. Little bits of dialogue (especially when characters paint the US as the bad guy) hit really hard and makes you think about how we are viewed to the rest of the world. Seriously, 3 issues in and this book has had my heart in my throat more times than I can remember. Just great, great stuff.

Discuss?

Please?!

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I haven't yet read issue #3 but I agree that is the best Vertigo book DC is putting out right now and probably one of the better books being put out by any company at the moment. It's just intense and it really does make the reader think about a lot of things. I'm loving every panel of it and King and Gerads are just knocking this one out of the park.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I haven't yet read issue #3 but I agree that is the best Vertigo book DC is putting out right now and probably one of the better books being put out by any company at the moment. It's just intense and it really does make the reader think about a lot of things. I'm loving every panel of it and King and Gerads are just knocking this one out of the park.

You'll enjoy this one for sure, man. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Its hard to discuss anything about this book honestly, it just hits on all fronts.

Slight spoiler:

I imagine her car was armoured so she probably survived... yet I feel like she might be dead. Same for policeman, they sorta agreed with each other but I can see him ending up dead next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Its hard to discuss anything about this book honestly, it just hits on all fronts.

Slight spoiler:

I imagine her car was armoured so she probably survived... yet I feel like she might be dead. Same for policeman, they sorta agreed with each other but I can see him ending up dead next issue.

I agree with both of these. Damn both those scenes were powerful though. I did a double take on the page where the car pulls up next to Sonia, and was like "HOLY S************t"!

Love how King makes you feel for Nassir in the first issue, then the more you learn about him....well, let's just leave it at that.

Gotta wonder if Chris will ever get the answers he's looking for (which it seems we get who the killer is at the end of the issue here. Maybe.).
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 02-04-2016 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    You'll enjoy this one for sure, man. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.
    I'll get back to you on it as soon as I can on that. I have a ton of stuff to read ATM.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Love how King makes you feel for Nassir in the first issue, then the more you learn about him....well, let's just leave it at that.
    Looks like its gonna be same for other characters too. Sofia (or is it Sonia?) doesn't look very "good" either with her blatant manipulations. Chris looks better, but I think he is going to also do some ugly things when his idealism will hit harsh reality.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Looks like its gonna be same for other characters too. Sofia (or is it Sonia?) doesn't look very "good" either with her blatant manipulations. Chris looks better, but I think he is going to also do some ugly things when his idealism will hit harsh reality.
    Yeah, Sofia has been pretty scummy since the first issue to me. Nassir had me feeling for him for a bit. I agree that while Chris doesn't seem to have any, he probably has a skeleton or two in his closet.

Yeah, Sofia has been pretty scummy since the first issue to me. Nassir had me feeling for him for a bit. I agree that while Chris doesn't seem to have any, he probably has a skeleton or two in his closet.
    It's kind of implied from the first issue, isn't it? He tells the suicide bomber that 9/11 was his fault. He might be suffering from some PTSD, or guilt over a failed mission.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    It's kind of implied from the first issue, isn't it? He tells the suicide bomber that 9/11 was his fault. He might be suffering from some PTSD, or guilt over a failed mission.
    True. That moment slipped my mind until you mentioned it. Also, the kinda job he's doing in Iraq I can see being given to someone who may have f'd up. So, it's not a question of if, but when do we learn about what skeletons are in his closet.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 02-05-2016 at 06:06 AM.

This was an intense issue! Two major characters in danger in the last pages and either or both of them could go. The scene at Nassir's house was pretty tense too. You know what's going to happen but not how bad it may actually get. Chris did mention early on feeling responsible for 9/11. So I'm sure we'll see what dark things haunt his past.

I also just wanted to mention how Gerads is just killing it on art here. It's very difficult to make a static drawing feel natural and show movement. The postures and gestures every character makes really makes me feel like I'm looking at people in motion. You can see their attitudes and emotions coming through. It's just amazing artwork and he really should be praised for it. Plus the variety in the faces and characters, even in pages that are just loaded with portrait shots. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    This was an intense issue! Two major characters in danger in the last pages and either or both of them could go. The scene at Nassir's house was pretty tense too. You know what's going to happen but not how bad it may actually get. Chris did mention early on feeling responsible for 9/11. So I'm sure we'll see what dark things haunt his past.

I also just wanted to mention how Gerads is just killing it on art here. It's very difficult to make a static drawing feel natural and show movement. The postures and gestures every character makes really makes me feel like I'm looking at people in motion. You can see their attitudes and emotions coming through. It's just amazing artwork and he really should be praised for it. Plus the variety in the faces and characters, even in pages that are just loaded with portrait shots. Great stuff.
    Have you read The Authority or his run on The Punisher? If not; you should check it out. Great stuff.

Have you read The Authority or his run on The Punisher? If not; you should check it out. Great stuff.
    I have read both and they're amazing. Well worth reading.

Okay now this was intense. We've got Sofia and Nassir in danger although I do have to wonder if Sofia somehow manages to get out of that since she seemingly was expecting it. More and more I get the sense that she not who she appears to be. That was an interesting bit at Nassir's home wasn't it? Some kind of code maybe? And Chris...just what skeletons does he have lurking in the closet? And that art. Gerads is just killing it there. These feel like flesh and blood people to me not some two dimensional characters on paper. I'm really loving the art here. King is also just killing it. There's just not a thing out of place here

Amazing Member

Did I miss an overall thread for discussion of this series now that it's over (for the moment), or is this as good a place as any?