Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Mighty Member RealWonderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,980

    Default Gal Gadot Wonder Woman Barbie controversy

    OK. So this is just ridiculous. I fully support Gal as Wonder Woman, and I think she's near perfect for the role. I think she exudes the unexpected strength that you would(not) expect Wonder Woman to show.

    HOWEVER...

    People complaining that the new Barbie doesn't "look like Gal"..because the doll is "too skinny"...this is killing me!!!
    The Batman and Superman Barbie's are big and buff, because Ben and Henry are big and buff. The Wonder Woman Barbie looks like "a runway model dressed up as Wonder Woman" because that is pretty much what Gal looks like, as Wonder Woman, and what Wonder Woman looks like (granted, Gal definitely has dome tone, and looks terrific, but it's not like her biceps are bulging.)



    My favorite one is in bold:
    'I didn’t know this was a thing…' one person wrote on Twitter of the doll's recent release, before adding: 'But why does she have arms like a stick insect?'
    Another person added: 'Honestly... Not digging how skinny she is. Wonder Woman is ripped... What's with thigh gap and Barbie arms?'
    Entertainment writer Hanna Flint followed suit with an opinion piece published on Metro in which she described the doll as a 'runway model dressed up as Wonder Woman for Halloween'.
    She continued: 'Just look at how tiny her legs and arms are compared to Gal Gadot's, who looks exactly like you would expect a powerful Amazonian goddess to look like: strong, toned and with some meat on her.'


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz3zJq5Ylup
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook


    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...nge-dolls.html
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

  2. #2
    Mighty Member RealWonderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,980

    Default

    "While Gal proudly displays her muscular figure in thigh-high boots and a strapless armored corset - a modern-day take on Wonder Woman's traditional star-spangled uniform - the Wonder Woman doll looks somewhat emaciated, drawing more attention to her perfectly-coiffed hair than her powerful frame."

    (I do LOVE LOVE LOVE that this seems to have caused a complete 180 on the "Gal's too skinny" conversation, so now it's "Gal's Barbie is too skinny.")
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

  3. #3
    Just crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    OK. So this is just ridiculous. I fully support Gal as Wonder Woman, and I think she's near perfect for the role. I think she exudes the unexpected strength that you would(not) expect Wonder Woman to show.

    HOWEVER...

    People complaining that the new Barbie doesn't "look like Gal"..because the doll is "too skinny"...this is killing me!!!
    The Batman and Superman Barbie's are big and buff, because Ben and Henry are big and buff. The Wonder Woman Barbie looks like "a runway model dressed up as Wonder Woman" because that is pretty much what Gal looks like, as Wonder Woman, and what Wonder Woman looks like (granted, Gal definitely has dome tone, and looks terrific, but it's not like her biceps are bulging.)



    My favorite one is in bold:
    'I didn’t know this was a thing…' one person wrote on Twitter of the doll's recent release, before adding: 'But why does she have arms like a stick insect?'
    Another person added: 'Honestly... Not digging how skinny she is. Wonder Woman is ripped... What's with thigh gap and Barbie arms?'
    Entertainment writer Hanna Flint followed suit with an opinion piece published on Metro in which she described the doll as a 'runway model dressed up as Wonder Woman for Halloween'.
    She continued: 'Just look at how tiny her legs and arms are compared to Gal Gadot's, who looks exactly like you would expect a powerful Amazonian goddess to look like: strong, toned and with some meat on her.'


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz3zJq5Ylup
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook


    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...nge-dolls.html
    I think the part in bold loses credibility with me. Since when does Gal exude these characteristics? She's gone from the ultra skinny Barbie type that they are denouncing to just a toned skinny model. Not exactly what a powerful Amazonian goddess should look like to me.

  4. #4
    Just crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    "While Gal proudly displays her muscular figure in thigh-high boots and a strapless armored corset - a modern-day take on Wonder Woman's traditional star-spangled uniform - the Wonder Woman doll looks somewhat emaciated, drawing more attention to her perfectly-coiffed hair than her powerful frame."

    (I do LOVE LOVE LOVE that this seems to have caused a complete 180 on the "Gal's too skinny" conversation, so now it's "Gal's Barbie is too skinny.")

    By the way, you are taking one comment from someone and using this as an argument to say that Gal isn't skinny anymore?

    Do you really think that Gal proudly displays a muscular figure in thigh high boots? Toned, at best, but hardly muscular.

  5. #5
    Mighty Member RealWonderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I think the part in bold loses credibility with me. Since when does Gal exude these characteristics? She's gone from the ultra skinny Barbie type that they are denouncing to just a toned skinny model. Not exactly what a powerful Amazonian goddess should look like to me.

    By the way, you are taking one comment from someone and using this as an argument to say that Gal isn't skinny anymore?

    Do you really think that Gal proudly displays a muscular figure in thigh high boots? Toned, at best, but hardly muscular.
    You may be misreading what I said, or missing the point I'm making....both times...I said I love that the CONVERSATION seems to have changed. Not Gal. It's comical...the whole thing is comical. I bolded that part because it's so silly...my favorite of the silly quotes.
    These are probably the same types who were saying Gal was too skinny...right up until they saw the Barbie. Now suddenly Gal is muscular and meaty, and exactly what you'd expect an Amazon to look like, and the Barbie is too skinny.

    No Body can win, it seems...comical!
    Last edited by RealWonderman; 02-05-2016 at 12:27 PM.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

  6. #6
    Just crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    You may be misreading what I said, or missing the point I'm making....both times...I said I love that the CONVERSATION seems to have changed. Not Gal. It's comical...the whole thing is comical. I bolded that part because it's so silly...my favorite of the silly quotes.
    These are probably the same types who were saying Gal was too skinny...right up until they saw the Barbie. Now suddenly Gal is muscular and meaty, and exactly what you'd expect an Amazon to look like, and the Barbie is too skinny.

    No Body can win, it seems...comical!
    The Barbie dolls have always had that skinny look. Not sure why there is a controversy because part of the controversy was that we were skinny shaming Gal Gadot's casting at one point in time. So now we shouldn't be able to skinny shame a Barbie doll. Turnabout is fair play, I say

  7. #7
    Mighty Member RealWonderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    The Barbie dolls have always had that skinny look. Not sure why there is a controversy because part of the controversy was that we were skinny shaming Gal Gadot's casting at one point in time. So now we shouldn't be able to skinny shame a Barbie doll. Turnabout is fair play, I say
    Especially since the Barbie DOES look like Gal. As much as Ben and
    Henry's look like them. (I preordered 2.)
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

  8. #8
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,839

    Default

    Wonder Woman isn't ripped to begin with, so I don't understand the complaints. She isn't Big Barda or Power Girl.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member RealWonderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    Wonder Woman isn't ripped to begin with, so I don't understand the complaints. She isn't Big Barda or Power Girl.
    Yes, exactly. Strange.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    66

    Default

    I am always amused by the "she doesn't look like what a powerful amazonian warrior goddess should look like!" cries; how many of us have met an amazonian warrior goddess?

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DCMARVELgeek View Post
    I am always amused by the "she doesn't look like what a powerful amazonian warrior goddess should look like!" cries; how many of us have met an amazonian warrior goddess?
    Hell, the Amazonz weren't described as particularly muscular in the myths. That's a modern invention.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •