Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    You were asserting that the government had a distrust of mutants and that somehow mutants wouldn't work for the GOVT. I was saying magneto was once distrusted and killed fellow mutants and they trust him.

So it isnt out of the question that Morlocks would fall in line for GOVT jobs as Mutant protectors.

Mutants arent born--being a Mutant isnt a race..its a genetic difference like having blue eyes, green, or Brown.

Its current nonsense that is trying to make them a race. In fact to further push the agenda humans giving birth to humans have all but stopped for the same nonsensical reason--to legitimize Cyclop's stance.
    Yes, they do; i think you confusing a mutated human, like hulk or spider-man with mutants, like wolverine or cyclops.
    And well, given that the government tries to kill them more often than magneto; i doubt that.

Lucky for Leech and Artie, Franklin saved them and brought them to the Baxter Building.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Lucky for Leech and Artie, Franklin saved them and brought them to the Baxter Building.
    SHIELD confiscated them.

You were asserting that the government had a distrust of mutants and that somehow mutants wouldn't work for the GOVT. I was saying magneto was once distrusted and killed fellow mutants and they trust him.

So it isnt out of the question that Morlocks would fall in line for GOVT jobs as Mutant protectors.
    Mutants need protection FROM the govement, more than by it. Would you take a job where you boss might decide that you should be murdered at a whim?

Mutants arent born--being a Mutant isnt a race..its a genetic difference like having blue eyes, green, or Brown.

Its current nonsense that is trying to make them a race. In fact to further push the agenda humans giving birth to humans have all but stopped for the same nonsensical reason--to legitimize Cyclop's stance.
    RRace is a cultural term scientifically meaningless, Scientifically race is a label misapplied to simple and minor genetic difference. Did you think race was w something else than insignificant genetic difference? Ot that the genic difences betwen baseline hiumans and mutants would somehow be smaller than the tiny differences between let say Blacks,Whites and Asians?

There are actually no genetic markers for race. None. Or sexuality, or ethnicity, or talent or personality for that matter. None. Humans are essentially clones with a whole lot of junk DNA. Genetics were once thought to be heavily deterministic, and may determine maximum age limit, but they are not as fatalistic as they were believed they would be. X-Men were created based on a grave misunderstanding of genetics people have. That they think genetics produces genes for specific things like mutant powers. Doesn't really work that way. Those squares people used to fill out in High School are just sort of a illustration. The reality is far, far, far more complicated.

There's a swing back towards environment and habit being primary shapers of who and what we are.
    Last edited by ScottSummers; 06-19-2014 at 05:45 AM.

The Morlocks have had it bad. Although I can't say I'd place odds on a hodge podge team of deformed, practically useless mutants who decided their best bet was to rough it out in the sewers lasting very long.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

I would love for Sinister or the Purifiers attack but have the Morlocks ready with defenses and their version of justice.

BANNED

Morlocks don't want to join the X-Men.

skids joined SHIELD and what happen to her? exactly. she was probably murdered years ago and stuffed into a janitor closet.

Spectacular Member ThiefHookUps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScottSummers View Post
    There are actually no genetic markers for race. None. Or sexuality, or ethnicity, or talent or personality for that matter. None. Humans are essentially clones with a whole lot of junk DNA.
    There isn't a genetic marker that states BLACK, WHITE, INUIT, ASIAN, etc. but each racial cluster has thousands of genetic markers that are unique to them.

Genetics were once thought to be heavily deterministic, and may determine maximum age limit, but they are not as fatalistic as they were believed they would be. X-Men were created based on a grave misunderstanding of genetics people have. That they think genetics produces genes for specific things like mutant powers. Doesn't really work that way. Those squares people used to fill out in High School are just sort of a illustration. The reality is far, far, far more complicated.
    That the mutations are so different from each other is the only part that doesn't jive with our understanding of genetics and that's what makes mutants so fantastic in their (and our) world.

Quote Originally Posted by ThiefHookUps View Post
    There isn't a genetic marker that states BLACK, WHITE, INUIT, ASIAN, etc. but each racial cluster has thousands of genetic markers that are unique to them.
    Not really. More to do with region than race. That's how they've tracked our migration. Everyone's genetic markers can be found in this series of tribes in a very specific part of Africa. I forget where.

Not really. More to do with region than race. That's how they've tracked our migration. Everyone's genetic markers can be found in this series of tribes in a very specific part of Africa. I forget where.
    But that's race. I have traits from Norwegic groupings even though I've never been to Norway. I'd argue race is region. It's just not necessarily your current region. Nothing else defines race except how our ancestors bodies evolved to deal with their regions of habitat.

Quote Originally Posted by ThiefHookUps View Post
    But that's race. I have traits from Norwegic groupings even though I've never been to Norway. I'd argue race is region. It's just not necessarily your current region. Nothing else defines race except how our ancestors bodies evolved to deal with their regions of habitat.
    Well you're labeling it race. But that's a cultural label you've developed from your perspective. There are all kinds of "races" (i.e. physical differences) that propagate these regions. Doesn't make them a race. There's only one race, so far as science is concerned.

Racism, by definition is using phenotype to infer genotype, which science has proved is basically just an illusion we convince ourselves. You know how you probably think animals of the same breed all look alike, well if an alien or higher order mammal ever saw every "race" lined up next to each other, he'd see a bunch of basically identical twins. We convince ourselves our appearance is much more fundamentally different than it really is.
    Last edited by ScottSummers; 06-19-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Well you're labeling it race. But that's a cultural label you've developed from your perspective. There are all kinds of "races" (i.e. physical differences) that propagate these regions. Doesn't make them a race. There's only one race, so far as science is concerned.
    Here's where we go in circles as I'll just refer to my inital post.

Racism, by definition is using phenotype to infer genotype, which science has proved is basically just an illusion we convince ourselves. You know how you probably think animals of the same breed all look alike, well if an alien or higher order mammal ever saw every "race" lined up next to each other, he'd see a bunch of basically identical twins. We convince ourselves our appearance is much more fundamentally different than it really is.
    1) That's physical appearances rather than physical traits and the both definitely have differences, whether perceptible to aliens or not, and would be what makes most of the Marvel mutants different than humans. And 2) you have a philosophy that there are no racial differences, but there are differences. Racism is claiming that those different genotypes are inferior, not in stating that there are genetic differences (which science has actually time and time again shown to be the case, but we're going in circles again with that thread). Maybe we can't tell certain animals apart but that doesn't mean they're not different. It's not whether WE can see a difference than it is about there being an actual difference. Similarly most of the Marvel mutants look human but they ARE different.

Personally I don't think mutations makes mutants a different race thought anymore than a person with fibromyalgia, but it's not my philosophy/universe/comicbook. I think of race more as from its roots and I think you think of it more as a contemporary thing so we'll probably never agree because they're completely different perspectives.

What did you mean by "That they think genetics produces genes for specific things like mutant powers. Doesn't really work that way."? How would a human obtaining mutant powers work do you think? There are latent mutants who via genetic spectrum or lack of environmental stressors never mutate. Are those types of factors what you're referring to? Thanks!
    Last edited by ThiefHookUps; 06-19-2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: I removed the word OK bc it might seem dickish in typed format.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    skids joined SHIELD and what happen to her? exactly. she was probably murdered years ago and stuffed into a janitor closet.
    Poor Skids. I bet they stole her cool beret too!

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Morlocks don't want to join the X-Men.
    Feral was a morlock who joined.