Amazing Member

Default Absolute Batman (Synder run) Questions

Hi all!

You seem to be the batman experts in these parts so I thought I'd ask.

I'm contemplating getting the Absolute Court of Owls book. I assume DC will solicit the remainder of the series over the next couple of years and complete the Synder/Capullo run.

I know there was news/rumor that Synder was leaving the Batman book and going to Detective Comics, will they be completing the Synder run and starting over at issue #1 again after this or will someone pick up where Scott left off and the series continue?

I realize this is probably not something that is "known" but based on previous experience with this type of thing maybe someone can offer up some idea of what will be happening based on what happened in the past.

I'm just trying to figure out whether buying the Absolute is a waste of time and money or whether it's a good investment for my personal library.

We're still waiting for details on the "Rebirth" event that's coming, but we do know for a fact that both Snyder and Capullo are done on Batman after #51. The word on the street is that after that, many of the smaller titles are ending and the big ones (which for sure includes Batman) are going back to #1 and starting over. However, this just seems like a publishing reboot rather than a continuity reboot. Things should still (hopefully) be picking up after Snyder's run but ideally in a way that's easily accessible for any new readers. I imagine they will collect the entire Snyder run before 2016's over which I'll definitely be picking up when they do. If you're willing to drop the likely hefty amount of money they'll ask for that book then I'd say hold off on buying any other trades of his run already out. That's assuming that you're interested in owning the whole thing.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by taylortexas View Post
    We're still waiting for details on the "Rebirth" event that's coming, but we do know for a fact that both Snyder and Capullo are done on Batman after #51. The word on the street is that after that, many of the smaller titles are ending and the big ones (which for sure includes Batman) are going back to #1 and starting over. However, this just seems like a publishing reboot rather than a continuity reboot. Things should still (hopefully) be picking up after Snyder's run but ideally in a way that's easily accessible for any new readers. I imagine they will collect the entire Snyder run before 2016's over which I'll definitely be picking up when they do. If you're willing to drop the likely hefty amount of money they'll ask for that book then I'd say hold off on buying any other trades of his run already out. That's assuming that you're interested in owning the whole thing.
    You thinking like an omnibus or a box set that includes all of the trades?

Quote Originally Posted by Selykg View Post
    Hi all!

You seem to be the batman experts in these parts so I thought I'd ask.

I'm contemplating getting the Absolute Court of Owls book. I assume DC will solicit the remainder of the series over the next couple of years and complete the Synder/Capullo run.

I know there was news/rumor that Synder was leaving the Batman book and going to Detective Comics, will they be completing the Synder run and starting over at issue #1 again after this or will someone pick up where Scott left off and the series continue?

I realize this is probably not something that is "known" but based on previous experience with this type of thing maybe someone can offer up some idea of what will be happening based on what happened in the past.

I'm just trying to figure out whether buying the Absolute is a waste of time and money or whether it's a good investment for my personal library.
    The remainder of the Snyder series as Absolute editions? Is that what you're assuming? Because that isn't going to happen, Absolute editions are relatively rare. Court of Owls got one, and one more arc like Endgame might down the road, but I'm can't see DC doing more than that. Morrison only got two Absolutes out of seven years working on Batman, and beyond Snyder and Morrison I think there are only five more Batman Absolutes in total. Superman only has something like four or five in total.
    That said, I still think they are great buys, I own actually quite a few of them and have always been happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Selykg View Post
    You thinking like an omnibus or a box set that includes all of the trades?
    An omnibus or two, likely.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Yea, Snyder's whole run is unlikely to all be in Absolutes. It either won't happen for a very very long time, or (more likely) just never happen.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-16-2016 at 12:02 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    An omnibus or two, likely.
    Yes, Omnibuses eventually. And even then, non-Capullo Snyder stories may possibly be excluded in those (which some like me would find annoying, because they're still important Snyder stories).

(Ultimately, I realized custom binding was the only way to get all the Snyder stuff I want in and in proper order)
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtzberg View Post
    The remainder of the Snyder series as Absolute editions? Is that what you're assuming? Because that isn't going to happen, Absolute editions are relatively rare. Court of Owls got one, and one more arc like Endgame might down the road, but I'm can't see DC doing more than that. Morrison only got two Absolutes out of seven years working on Batman, and beyond Snyder and Morrison I think there are only five more Batman Absolutes in total. Superman only has something like four or five in total.
    That said, I still think they are great buys, I own actually quite a few of them and have always been happy with them.
    Well, glad I didn't pull the trigger on the Absolute edition of Court of Owls then. Guess I wait for the run to complete and see what other options there are eventually.

Thanks!

BANNED

I would prefer 4 Absolutes.

1 = Court of Owls, already done.

2 = Joker, Death of the Family + End Game (it really is just 1 story)

3 = Year Zero

4 = Gordon Bats.
    Last edited by Drz; 02-16-2016 at 02:00 PM.

I think that 'zero year' is the mostly likely candidate for the next Snyder absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    I think that 'zero year' is the mostly likely candidate for the next Snyder absolute.
    If DC decides on another Absolute edition from the Snyder run, yeah, Zero Year is probably one of the top two candidates. The other one would probably be Endgame because it's essentially Snyder's ultimate Joker story, with all the one-shot tie-ins and backup stories it probably works out to enough pages to justify an Absolute.