Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Midnighter, #9

What starts as a simple mission to steal an alien gun quickly spins wildly out of control in Steve Orlando, ACO, and Hugo Petrus' "Midnighter" #9, which introduces a foe who might just be able to stop Midnighter.

Full review here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    What starts as a simple mission to steal an alien gun quickly spins wildly out of control in Steve Orlando, ACO, and Hugo Petrus' "Midnighter" #9, which introduces a foe who might just be able to stop Midnighter.

Full review here.

Great issue. Loved the entire break-in sequence, especially the speedster bucket list mauling. I am hoping the Suicide Squad crossover ends quickly next month. Unlike the reviewer I was not that excited to see them reappear at the end of the issue, even though it was a logical thing to happen. Can't wait for Bendix!

Isnt Midnighter getting cancelled with rebirth? or was that just BC rumour?
    Its a good title, but why bother picking it up now if sales boost wont change the outcome?

Spectacular Member

No cancellations have been confirmed. I'm going to bother to pick it up because it's a great title with great art and I enjoy reading it.

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by urmyth View Post
    Its a good title, but why bother picking it up now if sales boost wont change the outcome?
    Because it's a good title? Unless you're a trade waiter.

The immediate benefit would be that you'd be reading and enjoying the title for however long it lasts.

And even if it gets cancelled with Rebirth, buying it sends the message to DC that you'd be interested in seeing more from Steve Orlando or ACO or Midnighter or all of the above, which would affect their decisions down the line when DC ponders about what other titles to bring back months down the line.

BANNED

My only gripe with this issue is that I was expecting the Suicide Squad, not Deadshot and Harley. Other than that, great issue. The mention of an Wildstorm character is exciting. They shouldn't use this book to push Grayson's world, they should be pushing the Wildstorm stuff. Voodoo, Jackson King, Grifter & Swift are characters that I want to see.

I like the link between Grayson and Midnighter. I knew nothing about Midnighter before seeing him in Grayson. It's the only reason I bought his book. I keep buying it because it's fantastic The link makes him more accessible to new fans, which I think was the point of DCYOU.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    My only gripe with this issue is that I was expecting the Suicide Squad, not Deadshot and Harley. Other than that, great issue. The mention of an Wildstorm character is exciting. They shouldn't use this book to push Grayson's world, they should be pushing the Wildstorm stuff. Voodoo, Jackson King, Grifter & Swift are characters that I want to see.
    Grayson's world is the Wildstorm world (Midnighter, Ladytron, Grifter. In Grayson.). Or as long as Seeley is writing it, it will be (praying he does come back and isn't off it for good). Especially with him introducing two other Wildstorm characters in Suicide Squad.

They feed into each other, and that's not a bad thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HellHere View Post
    Grayson's world is the Wildstorm world (Midnighter, Ladytron, Grifter. In Grayson.). Or as long as Seeley is writing it, it will be (praying he does come back and isn't off it for good). Especially with him introducing two other Wildstorm characters in Suicide Squad.

They feed into each other, and that's not a bad thing.

For me it's a bad thing, because I hate the Grayson book. I'm still trying to get over it though. I just wish Midnighter would've gotten popular on it's own instead piggybacking off of a successful. It just means that Midnighter will forever be dependent on Grayson and Suicide Squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    For me it's a bad thing, because I hate the Grayson book. I'm still trying to get over it though. I just wish Midnighter would've gotten popular on it's own instead piggybacking off of a successful. It just means that Midnighter will forever be dependent on Grayson and Suicide Squad.
    I doubt there would have been the chance at a Midnighter book without Grayson. Seeley and King really rescued and recast the character from the mess that was New52 Stormwatch. I'm grateful.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Because it's a damn good book and I don't need any other reason then that to continue with it until it ends.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Spectacular Member

I haven't read each issue of Midnighter yet, strictly due to budget issues, but the issues I did read, I loved. I'm a big fan of the Authority characters. Though the stories weren't always my favorites and (as it was the style) the plots went into over the top action and violence (which I'm ok with) I always liked the characters themselves. I feel from what I've read Orlando gets into the essence of Midnighter, makes him fascinating and interesting and not just a flat killing machine. I would love to see this same treatment with the other Authority characters. If it is true this series is ending, let's hope it gets continued as a team book. In my ideal world, I want the same treatment for Jack Hawksmoor, The Doctor, Jenny Quantum, and Apollo. And though the New 52 Stormwatch didn't succeed I still found the new characters such as Adam One and Projectionist welcome additions that have some great possibilities.

Oh No, Not That Guy Greg McElhatton's Avatar

I generally avoid posting in review discussion threads but this is something I'll make an exception for.

In answer to why read a book if it might have been cancelled... because it's a good story. So what if it's not going for 200 issues? By that standard, you shouldn't read Watchmen because it ends with #12. And like others up-thread already said, every single sale is one more vote for additional work from these creators, as well as to see more of the characters in this title.

Check it out. It's worth it!

All-New Member

Interesting...this is actually the issue that made me drop the book. I think Midnighter is an interesting character, and this book is very well done, but they assume that you're already familiar with his world and backstory. I never read any of the old Wildstorm stuff, so most of the time I could barely follow what was going on in this book, and I kept waiting for them to explain things that they apparently felt that their readers were already familiar with. I still have no idea who Midnighter is working for, or what he's trying to accomplish. And when they reveal an old character, the reaction should be surprised anticipation, not bewildered ignorance.

Personally, I think it was a big mistake for DC to fold the Wildstorm characters into the DC Universe. It seems like that was a world that worked great on its own, and we really didn't need to throw more characters into DC's heaping universe full of thrown-together characters.