Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Here's an interesting question. Let's say Bruce is getting married, whether it's Selina or Julie w.e. Who would be his best man?

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Here's an interesting question. Let's say Bruce is getting married, whether it's Selina or Julie w.e. Who would be his best man?
    Can't really see Bruce getting married traditionally. Well, come to think of it, I can't really see of Bruce getting married altogether. He's far too broken and obsessed with being Batman than to be Bruce Wayne and carry out living any sort of normal life.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unfinishedsentenc View Post
    Can't really see Bruce getting married traditionally. Well, come to think of it, I can't really see of Bruce getting married altogether. He's far too broken and obsessed with being Batman than to be Bruce Wayne and carry out living any sort of normal life.

That's not the point of the question though. The point is who do you see giving him the pep talk, making sure he gets through the stag without anything terrible or permanent happening to his person, and making sure he doesn't make a break for it? For me, it's Dick.

Extraordinary Member

In all the animated cartoon superman is called his best friend

I don't see Clark as Bruce's best friend
    For one thing if you asked a Superman fan who Clark's best friend was no one would say Bruce
    I think Bruce lacks some friends around his own age.
    A lot of the time I see his villains as his friends when you look at the dynamic interplay between the Joker and Batman or the strong friendship that Bruce had with Two Face and Hush.

I don't really think of the modern Bruce Wayne as having friends in the traditional sense, it's part of his emotional damage. That's not to say he doesn't have close relationships, but the simplicity of true friendship is something he struggles to grasp. He has allies, colleagues, partners, lovers, family but not friends. He just doesn't make himself vulnerable enough to have a best friend, the intimacy or openness is not something he's capable of.
    Dick was a surrogate son and partner, but there are power dynamics that prevent them from ever really standing on equal footing that being friends requires, they are family but I wouldn't say friends. It's somewhat the same for Alfred, he is an employee and father figure, they have a deep bond but it's not truly a friendship. When Alfred displeases Bruce, he's quick to abuse the power dynamic and remind him he's an employee. Leslie, she's a maternal figure of a sort for him, not a friend.
    Jim and Clark probably come the closest, they are compatriots that stand on equal footing with Bruce, but Bruce still keeps too many secrets and is too emotionally closed off for them to be anything approaching a best friend. They are trusted allies, and valued partners, but he'll lie to them, use and manipulate them in ways you wouldn't a real friend. They are good men he can rely on, he admires them but they don't really know Bruce, they know the Batman.
    Tommy Elliot was a friend, but that was when they were children, before Bruce (and Tommy) became so damaged.
    Harvey Dent: Bruce may have liked him in finding him smart, funny or likable but ultimately he was a means to an end, a tool Bruce used for his war on crime.
    Last edited by Kurtzberg; 02-06-2016 at 10:55 PM.

Astonishing Member

Pre 52 I would say Clark.
    New 52 I would say Alfred.
    Dick is more like family.

After the reboot I wonder who his best friend be?

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Well, currently Bruce is getting married, and he has no friends, other than "Mr. Sparrow".

Incredible Member

I can imagine we get the Extra Special Wedding Issue... and it's Titus stood at the side of the aisle with a buttonhole pinned to his collar.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Dick, but he's more of a son/brother to Bruce.

Jim Gordon, I guess.

Fantastic Member

superman batman bff always

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

To me it's Jim. Dick and Alfred are family being son and father-figure respectively.

Incredible Member

What about Zatanna ? She is supposed to be a childhood friend of his.

Not counting family, in this continuity its clearly Clark. I understand the arguments against the idea for having it be that, but in actual practice of the written materials thus far, Clark is his best friend. Post-Crisis I would say Jim would be the closest, as they went with a frenemy concept with Clark and Bruce a lot of the time there. But the New 52 is back to a pre-Crisis style BFF set-up.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Alfred is more like family too, huge father figure, so I'm not sure how helpful this family vs friends distinction (whereby a spouse or blood or de facto family can't definitionally be your closest friend) is. Friend or family, whatever you think of him as, I think Bruce is second closest to Dick. Clark if you're really excluding people Bruce lives/has lived with (whether considered friend or family).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-17-2016 at 09:51 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”