Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I imagine he'd appreciate it on its own merits and realize it's different from his films.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    That's an interesting quote, considering the first movie sort of had a "true american" moment too with the warden.
    And I mean that in a genuine fashion, not in a "Reeve is an hypocrite" or whatever.
    It is interesting, but not that shocking. It was several years later, and the first movie, trying to cover all the bases and capture a traditional feeling, would be most likely to make the shout-out to his 'Americana' aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    I'm sure there would be parts that he'd genuinely enjoy, and he'd be professional and respectful, about the rest of the film.

I'd imagine that he might have issue with the level of violence and the amount of destruction, but that's understandable -- he was the Superman of a different era. Adam West has had similar issues with the newer Batman.
    This is probably most likely.
    Buh-bye

I think he would have liked it too and Henry Cavill's portrayal of Clark Kent/Superman and the performances by the other actors in the film in their respective roles.
    It's also interesting to note that Margot Kidder liked the movie, but, she felt there wasn't enough Lois in it.
    Also remember seeing Reeve appear in Smallville.
    Last edited by Lois; 06-18-2014 at 01:07 PM.

BANNED

I think Chris would have loved Henry Cavill but would have been disappointed with the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Only people who genuinely knew Reeve would be able to answer this question, therefore it feels like this is going to be a thread that devolves into a "Man of Steel is great/Man of Steel sucks" debate.
    Yeah unfortunately. Likely just, "This is what I think and, amazingly, I just know Christopher Reeve would have said exactly this too."
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    I'm sure there would be parts that he'd genuinely enjoy, and he'd be professional and respectful, about the rest of the film.

I'd imagine that he might have issue with the level of violence and the amount of destruction, but that's understandable -- he was the Superman of a different era. Adam West has had similar issues with the newer Batman.
    Interestingly enough, in his autobiography, Adam West mildly criticized the first Michael Keaton movie for being too obsessed with Batman being a total badass even to the point of never checking the victims of crimes he stops to make sure they are okay. BUT he stated that, in his opinion, Miller's DKR is the best thing ever done with Batman and, if he had a choice of playing any version of Batman, that is the one he would have chosen but he knew he would never get the chance, even in a low budget production because, type-casting being what it is, the assumption would be that because he once played Batman as campy comedy because it was written to be that, he obviously could not play it a different way.
    Power with Girl is better.

I think he would be shocked that Pa Kent told Clark to let the kids on the bus die. He probably wouldn't have liked the ending either. But maybe he'd enjoy how good Krypton and the special effects looked.

He would be disappointed, but would say something be cordial and nice about it because that's the type of man he was.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

I don't really see why Reeve's opinion would be any more important than anybody else.

All-New Member InsanityIsTrueSanity's Avatar

Doubt it, it would still have a crap script. If anything, his credibility when it comes to these stuff would decrease.

I wonder what Richard Donner thinks of it, though. Wish I was in a position where I could ask him.
    Actors and those in the business have a respect for the craft of acting and each other. Christopher Reeve would've said that he liked the movie and Cavill's portrayal as Superman because it's respect. Even Michael Keaton praises Christian Bale before diving into a story of how Nolan's Batman is how he wanted Burton to take the character. They have a respect for one another that no comic book community would understand. So, yes. I think Reeve would've said he liked it. Richard Donner on the other hand is different because he's worked in both comics and movies. Who knows? Maybe someone will ask him eventually.

BANNED

I think this quote of Reeve speaks volumes on what he might have thought of Hobo of Steel. We obviously can't really know what he would have thought of it, but this might give us an idea:

“What makes Superman a hero is not that he has power, but that he has the wisdom and the maturity to use the power wisely. From an acting point of view, that`s how I approached the part.” – undated.

Astonishing Member

I tend to avoid outright hypothetical questions, but this one provoked a response because Reeve is kind of my hero. I don't think he'd have anything bad to say about Cavill's portrayal of Superman. He'd probably dig the rest of the casting, too. If there was going to be hangups it would be the fact that some of the sci-fi was overwritten, the demolition gratuitous, and he'd find the brutal dispatch of Zod to be the worst of all, in that technically, Superman doesn't find another way to victory. Now the movie does a fine job of painting Superman into that corner where he has no other alternative ... but that means it's a movie-machine designed to keep Superman from finding another way, or an engineered narrative meant to keep Superman from being as Superman as he can be.

It's mostly a feeling or ambient thing, the vibe toward the end - all that destruction, not a ton of catharsis. And maybe a bit of a loss of the ensemble cast and the wit and humor that comes with it. That's what I think he'd take issue with. But less, generally, than die-hard fans of the Reeve films take offense to. The more I rewatch MOS, the more I like it. It's not as infectiously cool as Superman 1, but that movie had loads of faults, too. Like, the entire first half.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I tend to avoid outright hypothetical questions, but this one provoked a response because Reeve is kind of my hero. I don't think he'd have anything bad to say about Cavill's portrayal of Superman. He'd probably dig the rest of the casting, too. If there was going to be hangups it would be the fact that some of the sci-fi was overwritten, the demolition gratuitous, and he'd find the brutal dispatch of Zod to be the worst of all, in that technically, Superman doesn't find another way to victory. Now the movie does a fine job of painting Superman into that corner where he has no other alternative ... but that means it's a movie-machine designed to keep Superman from finding another way, or an engineered narrative meant to keep Superman from being as Superman as he can be.
    It should be noted that Terrence Stamp-Zod didn't make it to the end of the film either, neither the theatrical cut nor the director's version.

Of course Jerry Siegel, George Reeves and Christopher Reeve can't directly comment on the Zack Snyder/Henry Cavill Man of Steel, but we do know how they felt about Superman.

Christopher Reeve explained in his book Nothing is Impossible: Reflections (2002), "It seemed to me that the values embodied by Superman on the screen should be values that prevail in the real world." Christopher Reeve explained in Comics Scene magazine #1 (1987), "He's not a one-man vigilante force who goes around knocking people's heads together. He's more reserved. Superman's attitude is that people have to solve some of their own problems, they can't always look to superheroes. Superman's more like a student council president than Rambo."

And Superman creator Jerry Siegel explained on Superman: The Comic Strip Hero documentary (1981), "Superman stands for exactly the motto that they used on the television show - Truth, Justice and the American Way. A very clean cut guy who could have ruled the world and is powerful, but instead he uses his powers to aid the helpless and deserving, rather than to exploit them. The concept was that there would be a mild mannered reporter Clark Kent, Lois Lane who scorned him, but loved Superman, not knowing that Superman and Clark Kent were one and the same person."

And George Reeves explained in the Baytown Sun newspaper (July 13th, 1951), "Our idea is to give the children good entertainment without all the guts and blood and gore. We think the series should teach them something, too. That's why I decided to do this."

Last edited by Steven Ely; 06-22-2014 at 07:50 PM.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    I don't really see why Reeve's opinion would be any more important than anybody else.
    Really.

There is no one more that his opinion would matter when it comes to a character. The closest person you would get now a days to what Reeve meant to Superman and who's opinion would matter as much would be Hugh Jackman to Wolverine.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 06-23-2014 at 07:07 AM.