Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    I'd generally agree. But I stand on the side of, if the filmmakers really wanted to make certain that it was understood that the Phantom Zone criminals survived, there was one, and only one thing they could have done. And they did, and they filmed it. And somewhere along the lines, someone made the decision to take it out of the film. So our last image is the bad guys depowered, falling down a pit that seemed longer than any normal man could survive, and then they are never seen again or references (in any of the next 3 films).
    I agree with all of this. And it will always be open to argument.

Oh I did find one funny thing. Somebody did a youtube video where he talks about the "alleged" arrest scene and insists it doesn't and never did exist because it shows up in neither the theatrical or Donner cut. So far, no comments. I'm sure he will get lots of comments eventually from people who saw the network debut and know the scene existed.

I was glad for the scene personally. Although I really didn't think he killed them, there was a lingering doubt so I was glad for that television showing although admittedly it is not canon for the theatrical or Donner cut.

I really have more ethical problems with the Superman II character than with the MoS character. Yeah, okay, he threw a truck onto a tree or whatever it was and killed a guy to save lives. To me, breaking the hand of a helpless opponent for revenge, going back into a place and spinning the snot out of a guy that hurt him when he was powerless for revenge was worse. And let's be honest. If we invoke reality, that spin he gave him would have killed him.
    Power with Girl is better.

Okay, back on track. There's an entire thread dedicated to this discussion (Superman killing), so take the talk of the end of the Superman movie there, please.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Well this thread devolved exactly as I thought it would...

"Superman killed in Man of Steel and I don't think Superman should kill. Therefore I don't believe Reeve would want Superman to kill, thus he would have hated it".

I will say this much...based on what I've read about Reeve and his quotes regarding Superman, I will say he came across as having a strong appreciation and respect for the character. While he may not have agreed with the interpretation of the character in MoS, I think at the very least he would have appreciated the respectful approach Cavill, Snyder, and Goyer took.

In other words, I believe at the very least he would have liked them NOT treating Superman as a joke or farce.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

And on that note, I believe this quote by Reeve pretty much sums up my opinion on this entire thread...

I feel that every generation should have a Superman for its own time. I was the right Superman for the 1970s and early 1980s. If they want to do it again, there ought to be a Superman for this time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Well this thread devolved exactly as I thought it would...

"Superman killed in Man of Steel and I don't think Superman should kill. Therefore I don't believe Reeve would want Superman to kill, thus he would have hated it".

I will say this much...based on what I've read about Reeve and his quotes regarding Superman, I will say he came across as having a strong appreciation and respect for the character. While he may not have agreed with the interpretation of the character in MoS, I think at the very least he would have appreciated the respectful approach Cavill, Snyder, and Goyer took.

In other words, I believe at the very least he would have liked them NOT treating Superman as a joke or farce.
    As I have said Reeve would have loved Cavill without a doubt. I think Chris would have had a problem with the ending of the film but would have liked it as a whole.

I imagine that Reeve may have taken issues with the greater amount of destruction in this film than in his own. He also may have disliked it's depiction of Jonathan Kent. However, at the end of the day I think he would he have still viewed it as an incarnation of Superman with it's own unique identity that was better off not aping his version.
    Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 07-19-2017 at 04:39 AM.

Incredible Member

From what I know of him, I'd say he'd be very gracious and complimentary towards the performances but take issue with the level and quantity of violence. I doubt he'd address killing Zod specifically but he would speak up in favor of non-violent solutions to conflict and likely plug UNICEF, Doctors Without Borders, and Amnesty. He'd praise the level of visual spectacle but affirm that punching is a last resort for Superman in his eyes and take aim at the War in Iraq and War on Terror, albeit gently, urging people to move beyond post-9/11 anxieties towards an embrace of their fellow humans from other cultures and in developing nations. In a really in-depth interview, I suspect he might link terrorism with income inequality and lack of economic opportunity and, in particular, champion the cause of giving young women a quality education and equal access to social opportunities.

He'd probably take some social media flak for that.

I don't know, I can't speak for a dead man's opinion on a movie he never watched. And at a risk of coming off as sanctimonious, I don't think any of you can either. This seems like an inappropriate discussion.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 06-05-2017 at 05:00 PM.

I feel this quote from Mr. Reeve's interview with Jimmy Carter says it all: his vision of the character of Superman is completely different than what Snyder and Goiter saw in the character. (the relevant quote begins at the 5 minute mark)

These other quotes from Mr. Reeve also illustrate how seriously he took embodying Superman and what he felt the character's true strengths were; note that, unlike CavIll, he doesn't see playing Superman like having repeat sex.

“What makes Superman a hero is not that he has power, but that he has the wisdom and the maturity to use the power wisely. From an acting point of view, that`s how I approached the part.” – undated.

“[Jerry Siegel] and [Joe Shuster] created a piece of American mythology. It was my privilege to be the onscreen custodian of the character in the `70s and `80s.

“I think he is an essential part of our culture and our mythology. He is a friend, and he is an unassuming hero, and I also think the fact that he is both awkward and a shy newspaper reporter makes him like everybody else. And yet he has another identity, this larger-than-life superhero. Sometimes we feel like Clark Kent, and sometimes, if we are lucky, we feel like Superman.” – undated.

“(He’s) such an accurate psychological model…. You’re combining basic fantasy with everyday reality, and it’s an unbeatable combination. What person has not dreamed of flying and freedom and power and all those things and yet had to face the 9 to 5 work world that we all really live in? …In the 1930’s–1933 particularly in the Depression–Siegel and Shuster said it first and best, I think. And all the other characters I think basically are some version of Superman. He was the first and the truest.” – interview with Brian McKernan (March 15, 1983)

“I don’t want Superman to be accused of being a piece of American propaganda. We’re living in a global village now, and there has to be a new heightened awareness of our interactions as people on this planet.” – The Associated Press (December 25, 1986)

“He’s not a one-man vigilante force who goes around knocking people’s heads together. He’s more reserved. Superman’s attitude is that people have to solve their own problems, they can’t always look to superheroes. That’s what makes Superman more like student council president than Rambo.” – Comics Scene (1987)

“It’s very hard for me to be silly about Superman, because I’ve seen firsthand how he actually transforms people’s lives. I have seen children dying of brain tumors who wanted as their last request to talk to me, and have gone to their graves with a peace brought on by knowing that their belief in this kind of character really matters. It’s not Superman the tongue-in-cheek cartoon character they’re connecting with; they’re connecting with something very basic: the ability to overcome obstacles, the ability to persevere, the ability to understand difficulty and to turn your back on it.” – Time, (March 14, 1988)

“The premiere was in Washington at the Kennedy Center and President Carter was there, and important world leaders. A huge audience. And that was the first time I saw the film… It got a standing ovation at the end. And I’ll never forget that moment when Superman flies for the first time at the Fortress of Solitude. That got tremendous applause, that Superman had finally taken off.” – AOL Online Chat (May 1, 2001)

“Superman, since the 1930’s, as been a very important figure in our culture…. I feel that the character is more important than the actor who plays him. But I feel that it was my privilege to be the custodian of the character in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s. I think he will always endure.” – AOL Online Chat (May 1, 2001)

“He`s a friend. Everybody needs a friend. That`s why he`s still here.” – referring to Superman`s enduring popularity – undated.

“I find that the movie is just really timeless, and after all of these years, it still holds up. And I’m really, really glad about that, and that new people are – you know, kids are finding the movie and discovering it for the first time, that the movie lives on.” – referring to Superman-The Movie – AOL Online Chat (May 1, 2001)

“To say that I believed in Superman is quite an understatement. Of course I knew it was only a movie, but it seemed to me that the values embodied by Superman on the screen should be the values that prevail in the real world.” – excerpt from “Nothing is Impossible” (2002)

Last edited by Atomic Man; 06-05-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Why did he ever have to take up horse riding?

Spectacular Member

Oh Chris.

You always will be the one and only Superman.

Forever

“It’s very hard for me to be silly about Superman, because I’ve seen firsthand how he actually transforms people’s lives. I have seen children dying of brain tumors who wanted as their last request to talk to me, and have gone to their graves with a peace brought on by knowing that their belief in this kind of character really matters. It’s not Superman the tongue-in-cheek cartoon character they’re connecting with; they’re connecting with something very basic: the ability to overcome obstacles, the ability to persevere, the ability to understand difficulty and to turn your back on it.” – Time, (March 14, 1988)

I'm not crying, you're crying.

Spectacular Member

He wanted to do more. Superman 5... 6...

Oh my Gosh, life is just a bitch.

Damn horse riding!!!

Spectacular Member

Just imagine what he could have done with a Kingdom Come adaptation for the big screen...

My God.
    Nobody should have worn that suit after Chris. Nobody.

Sorry, but everyone looks silly and pathetic in that costume COMPARED TO HIM!

And that's just because he was born to be the character. He was born to be Superman.

Simple as that.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AntoKent17 View Post
    Just imagine what he could have done with a Kingdom Come adaptation for the big screen...

My God.
    Nobody should have worn that suit after Chris. Nobody.

Sorry, but everyone looks silly and pathetic in that costume COMPARED TO HIM!

And that's just because he was born to be the character. He was born to be Superman.

Simple as that.
    So... Because one actor passed away, they should retire the character from ever being used in live action again? I loved Chris's Supes as much as anyone and always will admire him for what he did after his accident...But I'm sorry, Superman is bigger than one version, one actor and one incarnation. Chris Reeve would be the first to say that. He wouldn't have wanted Superman to " die" with him. I'm sorry but that's just plain silly.

Just because you don't happen to like the current version doesn't mean there will never be another version you won't like.

I mean with your reasoning, after George Reeves shot himself they should have retired the character then and there out of respect and never used him again. By that reasoning Chris Reeve should have never wore the cape.

Every generation deserves it's own live action Superman.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.