Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Default DC Animated Original Movies Discussion

Let's talk about the ever steady DC direct to video animated movies. When these first started coming out, I really liked them. I bought everything from Superman: Doomsday through Crisis on Two Earths. But then Superman/Batman: Apocalypse and All-Star Superman came out and I was severely disappointed, and I haven't bought a movie since. I was able to watch a few online afterwards, JL Doom I liked but Superman Unbound, Justice League War and Throne of Atlantis I found meh. Only titles I've seen snipets of have been really hit and miss. I feel like I'm not missing much, but what are other's feeling about them.

Superman: Doomsday
    Justice League: The New Frontier
    Batman: Gotham Knight
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern: First Flight
    Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
    Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
    Batman: Under the Red Hood
    Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
    Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam
    All-Star Superman
    Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
    Batman: Year One
    Justice League: Doom
    Superman vs. The Elite
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 1
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 2
    Superman: Unbound
    Batman: Assault on Arkham
    Justice League: Gods and Monsters
    Killing Joke - In Production

Movies based on the New 52 verse and are all in continuity with one another.

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
    Justice League: War
    Son of Batman
    Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
    Batman vs. Robin
    Batman: Bad Blood
    Justice League vs Teen Titans - Release date in April
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 02-07-2016 at 01:55 PM.

BANNED

Do the showcases count? The Catwoman and Green Arrow shorts were freaking good!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    Do the showcases count? The Catwoman and Green Arrow shorts were freaking good!
    Yeah the showcase extras they add to the DVDs are count. I haven't seen the Catwoman one, but I did see the one with Malcolm McDowell voicing Malcom Merlyn for the Green Arrow one. I liked that one.

Under the Red Hood is still my all time favorite DC animated movie. All Star Superman was pretty good but I wish it would've been two parts like The Dark Knight Returns. The Wonder Woman movie was good as well.

Really haven't liked the recent movies. I think Batman and Son is one of the worst DC animated films. Would love to see someone replace James Tucker or whoever is pushing the current direction. They've been needlessly violent and overall kinda weak.
    But I'm still looking forward to Justice League vs Titans just because I love seeing one of my favorite characters, Blue Beetle on the roster.

Yeah, I would have like All-Star Superman to be 2 parts as well. My disappointment stemmed from them cropping the story. It's not a long tale, but it is expansive.

Most of the ones I've seen I'd say are a solid "good."

Standouts to me are:
    "New Frontier"
    "Under the Red Hood"
    "Return of the Dark Knight" (seeing one and two together makes it feel like a real movie)
    "Green Lantern: First Flight"

Overall, I just wish that they could pump up the animation. It bothers me that Japan can crank out SO MUCH animation that actually looks amazing, but the stories are mostly crap or repetitive and some of these DC movies would benefit so much from better animation, which looks mostly about as good as the JLU tv show.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Let's talk about the ever steady DC direct to video animated movies. When these first started coming out, I really liked them. I bought everything from Superman: Doomsday through Crisis on Two Earths. But then Superman/Batman: Apocalypse and All-Star Superman came out and I was severely disappointed, and I haven't bought a movie since. I was able to watch a few online afterwards, JL Doom I liked but Superman Unbound, Justice League War and Throne of Atlantis I found meh. Only titles I've seen snipets of have been really hit and miss. I feel like I'm not missing much, but what are other's feeling about them.

Wonder Woman
    All-Star Superman
    Superman vs. The Elite

Son of Batman
    Batman vs. Robin
    I like everything pre-Nu52 verse. Wonder Woman and The Dark Knight Returns 1 & 2 are my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post

Wonder Woman
    All-Star Superman
    Superman vs. The Elite

Son of Batman
    Batman vs. Robin
    I've very slowly been making my way through this list. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far ...

Total opposite of you, I didn't connect with All Star comic book, really disliked it and all the hype around it made it worse.

The animated film though totally won me over, very much enjoyed it!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post

Wonder Woman
    All-Star Superman
    Superman vs. The Elite

Son of Batman
    Batman vs. Robin
    I'm not really a Batman fangirl, so I don't just buy any movie or show that has Batman's name on it. I usually watch reviews of the movies first if I can't just preview them through a streaming service. I kind of feel like DC dropped the ball with Damian Wayne, for example, because a lot of fans liked seeing him as a kid soldier. It made him unique from the other Robins because he needed to mellow out while the other kids needed to become stronger and more disciplined. Causing Damian to actually mellow out in the movies, though, kind of messed up his character, at least in my opinion, and I can give other examples where DC animated movies made weird creative decisions, like the Killing Joke, where the events of the actual comic and the Joker as the main villain aren't even showcased until the middle of the movie or changing Hush's story so that Hush is the Riddler and not Thomas Elliot, although, Riddler as Hush didn't bother me much. Some of them, though, like the Killing Joke, I think they need to re-cut. What they could do with that one is remake it and include the original Killing Joke half film with a Three Jokers movie that includes the events of Under the Red Hood and Killing Joke; that would be better than thirty minutes' worth of unrelated story.

I think sometimes DC forgets that its animation isn't just for kids and adults enjoy it too, and we can handle the darker grittier stories; in fact, we prefer them if they're done correctly.

Extraordinary Member

I'm honestly more optimistic about this new animated universe they have going than the last one. Everything just seems to be brighter and more hopeful and less edgy for edgy's sake than the last one.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I'm honestly more optimistic about this new animated universe they have going than the last one. Everything just seems to be brighter and more hopeful and less edgy for edgy's sake than the last one.
    Then again...Beware My Power...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Then again...Beware My Power...
    True, but after going through the list of animated films set in the previous universe, I'll happily accept this single exception since it doesn't seem to be this world's status quo. Plus, I've never had any interest in Green Lantern, so I really haven't bothered with it.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    True, but after going through the list of animated films set in the previous universe, I'll happily accept this single exception since it doesn't seem to be this world's status quo. Plus, I've never had any interest in Green Lantern, so I really haven't bothered with it.
    Long Halloween was also pretty dark, although that was based on an existing story so there really wasn't much they could do about it. Arguably the way they changed the ending had it more dark because you had Batman letting a violent murderer get away.