Page 133 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 2318
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Do we really need an animated Watchmen? I don't see what they can do that the live-action didn't other than match the designs of the comic exactly.

At the very least they can do more with it than TV Crisis. Even in the early days there was no way they could match Perez' art.
    I swear there were rumors they would do Watchmen years ago

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I have little faith they'll be able to properly adapt those two stories. I'll be shocked if they prove to me there's any reason to remake Watchmen. Any chance it'll be an original story?

It'll also be interesting to see how they make Batman the hero of "Crisis"
    I guess it's possible it's a Before Watchmen type deal rather than a straight adaption but the only purpose I can see is being closer to the comics in terms of design.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    YES!

Been predicting/hoping for an animated COIE for years now, so glad to see it come to fruition.

I haven't watched the latest Tomorrowverse films set, but in general, the universe has already been shaping up pretty rapidly and isn't quiet the 'early years' DCU that it started out like anymore.

Of course the big question is, what legacy DC characters/universes are we going to get in this COIE adaptation? Will the DCAU Superman and Lois be the 'Earth 2' versions in this adaptation?

Will we get the death of the Tomorrowverse Barry Allen, or a Barry Allen at any rate? What about the newly-introduced Tomorrowverse Supergirl?

And is this going to end in some kind of reboot? Or is this the end of the road for the DCAOM line after 18 years? Has James Gunn mandated that even this needs to be purged in favor of his singular take on the DCU?
    Tomorrowverse already introduced an Earth 2 with the JSA movie and there's the Legion thing....I know there were once plans for a COIE movie that would bring all the various animated universes together but that was going to be a trilogy. I have my doubts that we're going to be getting this big crossover of animated universes of old. I feel like we'll see the stuff established in the Tomorrowverse already and maybe stuff like Earth 3 with the syndicate or whatever, but they'll probably be unique to the modern stuff.

And maybe that's for the best. Does anyone actually want to see the Timmverse characters and the Teen Titans and Young Justice characters get wiped out? I really don't.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Tomorrowverse already introduced an Earth 2 with the JSA movie and there's the Legion thing....I know there were once plans for a COIE movie that would bring all the various animated universes together but that was going to be a trilogy. I have my doubts that we're going to be getting this big crossover of animated universes of old. I feel like we'll see the stuff established in the Tomorrowverse already and maybe stuff like Earth 3 with the syndicate or whatever, but they'll probably be unique to the modern stuff.

And maybe that's for the best. Does anyone actually want to see the Timmverse characters and the Teen Titans and Young Justice characters get wiped out? I really don't.
    The original COIE had impact because it wiped out fifty previous years of continuity. To match that scope, DC would have to dig all the way back to the 1940s Fleischer SUPERMAN cartoons, and even revive the old Filmation and Hanna Barbera animated universes. Can you imagine the Superfriends being among the first to fall to the antimatter wave?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

And it was first time something like that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Can you imagine the Superfriends being among the first to fall to the antimatter wave?
    First to fall, or the last ones standing?

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The original COIE had impact because it wiped out fifty previous years of continuity. To match that scope, DC would have to dig all the way back to the 1940s Fleischer SUPERMAN cartoons, and even revive the old Filmation and Hanna Barbera animated universes. Can you imagine the Superfriends being among the first to fall to the antimatter wave?
    Maybe they'll get wiped out in chronological order.

Based on "House of Mystery" I thought they were setting up Constantine to be the Pariah of this iteration of "Crisis." I still think it could happen...

Considering how high the Spider-Verse films set the bar for multiversal, meta-easter egg shenanigans, they'd better make this film special, or else what's the point? (obviously they can't make it feature film quality, but they can be smart with the use of all the properties and characters at their disposal)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-24-2023 at 07:28 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post

I know about the Tomorrowverse's Earth 2. But I think a COIE adaptation does call for an established 'legacy' character, especially if they really wish to celebrate the history of DC animation the way the original story celebrated 50 years of DC Comics and the Arrowverse adaptation celebrated decades of DC in live-action.

As for getting 'wiped out'...well the Arrowverse took a pretty good approach to this by having the earths with the legacy properties be reborn in the new Multiverse, albeit unknown to the core characters on Earth Prime. Also, whoever plays the Earth 2 Superman role would survive and get a 'happy ending' of sorts in the paradise dimension/pocket universe, so there's that.

Maybe they'll get wiped out in chronological order.

Based on "House of Mystery" I thought they were setting up Constantine to be the Pariah of this iteration of "Crisis." I still think it could happen...

Considering how high the Spider-Verse films set the bar for multiversal, meta-easter egg shenanigans, they'd better make this film special, or else what's the point? (obviously they can't make it feature film quality, but they can be smart with the use of all the properties and characters at their disposal)
    True enough.

It's funny how there's some subtle (or not so subtle) teasing of Crisis in the last set of Showcase shorts and not even just in House of Mystery.

On the one hand I don't think it would be a true animated Crisis without involving all the other popular DC animated continuities yet at the same time that's a lot to live up to and it might be cheaper if they just go with original Elseworlds or Earths they come up with.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's funny how there's some subtle (or not so subtle) teasing of Crisis in the last set of Showcase shorts and not even just in House of Mystery.

On the one hand I don't think it would be a true animated Crisis without involving all the other popular DC animated continuities yet at the same time that's a lot to live up to and it might be cheaper if they just go with original Elseworlds or Earths they come up with.
    Little point in doing COIE if you're not going to go big (you might as well go home).

Anyway, hypothetically, assuming they are bringing back legacy character, what would your wishlist for character returns be? Either cameos or extended parts.

Here are a few off the top of my head:

Batman Beyond/Terry McGuiness: It really should have been DCAU Batman, but since the great Kevin Conroy is sadly no longer among us, I think the best alternative would be to showcase his successor. I'd love to see Terry interact with the Tomorrowverse Batman.

DCAU Superman: I think he might be a great fit for the 'Earth 2 Superman' role. A bit torn on whether it should be him from the Beyond timeline, or a 'present-day' version. (Even if its the Beyond version, would love him to don some take on the classic red and blue suit...maybe the Kingdom Come or Earth 2 versions?)

Fleischer Superman: Another option for the 'Earth 2 Superman' role. A bit skeptical about this one since obviously he'd need to be recast. A variation here could be retroactively making the Tomorrowverse Earth 2 Superman into a take on the 'Fleischer Superman', but that could be divisive.

DCAU Flash/Wally West: I kinda want him back, but I'm worried they might turn him into the Flash who dies in the Crisis. So...mixed feelings here.

Crime Syndicate of America: The version from Crisis on Two Earths specifically. It would also provide us with an Alex Luthor - the son of that movie's Luthor. Sadly, Owlman would be dead...but anyway, the point is that all of them are going to die.

Little point in doing COIE if you're not going to go big (you might as well go home).

Anyway, hypothetically, assuming they are bringing back legacy character, what would your wishlist for character returns be? Either cameos or extended parts.

Batman Beyond/Terry McGuiness: It really should have been DCAU Batman, but since the great Kevin Conroy is sadly no longer among us, I think the best alternative would be to showcase his successor. I'd love to see Terry interact with the Tomorrowverse Batman.

DCAU Superman: I think he might be a great fit for the 'Earth 2 Superman' role. A bit torn on whether it should be him from the Beyond timeline, or a 'present-day' version. (Even if its the Beyond version, would love him to don some take on the classic red and blue suit...maybe the Kingdom Come or Earth 2 versions?)

Fleischer Superman: Another option for the 'Earth 2 Superman' role. A bit skeptical about this one since obviously he'd need to be recast. A variation here could be retroactively making the Tomorrowverse Earth 2 Superman into a take on the 'Fleischer Superman', but that could be divisive.

DCAU Flash/Wally West: I kinda want him back, but I'm worried they might turn him into the Flash who dies in the Crisis. So...mixed feelings here.

Crime Syndicate of America: The version from Crisis on Two Earths specifically. It would also provide us with an Alex Luthor - the son of that movie's Luthor. Sadly, Owlman would be dead...but anyway, the point is that all of them are going to die.
    I think the question is whether they have the budget or resources to go big.

If they bring in past animated DC characters, I'd love to see:
    -- The Superfriends (all of them)
    -- Jessica Cruz (JL v Fatal 5)
    -- Bat-Mite
    -- The Question and Huntress (JLI)
    -- Legion of Superheroes (from the LSH show - full roster)
    -- Doom Patrol (DC Nation)

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

If they bring in past animated DC characters, I'd love to see:
    -- The Superfriends (all of them)
    -- Jessica Cruz (JL v Fatal 5)
    -- Bat-Mite
    -- The Question and Huntress (JLI)
    -- Legion of Superheroes (from the LSH show - full roster)
    -- Doom Patrol (DC Nation)
    I'll add Fleischer Superman. Fleischer Superman should deliver the killing blow that finishes off the Anti-Monitor.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

This isn't aimed at your post, but I'm starting to get really tired of the multiverse being used as a vehicle for nostalgia-baiting cameos and cross-media references.

The multiverse is about encountering different versions of the same character, not different actors playing roughly the same mainstream version of a character. Takes me right out of the experience and squanders golden opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    This isn't aimed at your post, but I'm starting to get really tired of the multiverse being used as a vehicle for nostalgia-baiting cameos and cross-media references.

The multiverse is about encountering different versions of the same character, not different actors playing roughly the same mainstream version of a character. Takes me right out of the experience and squanders golden opportunities.
    I think in certain respects it's because Elseworlds or alternates are standalone Multiverse stuff in and of itself but the idea with something like Crisis or NWH is bringing together different versions as a way of celebrating them.