Page 1 of 152 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Default DC Animated Original Movies Discussion

Let's talk about the ever steady DC direct to video animated movies. When these first started coming out, I really liked them. I bought everything from Superman: Doomsday through Crisis on Two Earths. But then Superman/Batman: Apocalypse and All-Star Superman came out and I was severely disappointed, and I haven't bought a movie since. I was able to watch a few online afterwards, JL Doom I liked but Superman Unbound, Justice League War and Throne of Atlantis I found meh. Only titles I've seen snipets of have been really hit and miss. I feel like I'm not missing much, but what are other's feeling about them.

Superman: Doomsday
    Justice League: The New Frontier
    Batman: Gotham Knight
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern: First Flight
    Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
    Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
    Batman: Under the Red Hood
    Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
    Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam
    All-Star Superman
    Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
    Batman: Year One
    Justice League: Doom
    Superman vs. The Elite
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 1
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 2
    Superman: Unbound
    Batman: Assault on Arkham
    Justice League: Gods and Monsters
    Killing Joke - In Production

Movies based on the New 52 verse and are all in continuity with one another.

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
    Justice League: War
    Son of Batman
    Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
    Batman vs. Robin
    Batman: Bad Blood
    Justice League vs Teen Titans - Release date in April
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 02-07-2016 at 01:55 PM.

BANNED

Do the showcases count? The Catwoman and Green Arrow shorts were freaking good!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    Do the showcases count? The Catwoman and Green Arrow shorts were freaking good!
    Yeah the showcase extras they add to the DVDs are count. I haven't seen the Catwoman one, but I did see the one with Malcolm McDowell voicing Malcom Merlyn for the Green Arrow one. I liked that one.

Under the Red Hood is still my all time favorite DC animated movie. All Star Superman was pretty good but I wish it would've been two parts like The Dark Knight Returns. The Wonder Woman movie was good as well.

Really haven't liked the recent movies. I think Batman and Son is one of the worst DC animated films. Would love to see someone replace James Tucker or whoever is pushing the current direction. They've been needlessly violent and overall kinda weak.
    But I'm still looking forward to Justice League vs Titans just because I love seeing one of my favorite characters, Blue Beetle on the roster.

Yeah, I would have like All-Star Superman to be 2 parts as well. My disappointment stemmed from them cropping the story. It's not a long tale, but it is expansive.

Most of the ones I've seen I'd say are a solid "good."

Standouts to me are:
    "New Frontier"
    "Under the Red Hood"
    "Return of the Dark Knight" (seeing one and two together makes it feel like a real movie)
    "Green Lantern: First Flight"

Overall, I just wish that they could pump up the animation. It bothers me that Japan can crank out SO MUCH animation that actually looks amazing, but the stories are mostly crap or repetitive and some of these DC movies would benefit so much from better animation, which looks mostly about as good as the JLU tv show.

Incredible Member

I find the newer movies to be pretty entertaining, even if there is a ton of cringey moments and subpar writing. Maybe it's the animation style or the action, but I find these new movies just 'pop' a lot more.

Wasn't a big fan of the older movies, or the JL animated series. They always felt sort of lifeless to me.

Astonishing Member

Some of them are all-time classics to me. "Under the Hood", "Year One", "The Dark Knight Returns", "New Frontier", "The Flashpoint Paradox", "Justice League Doom" are just GOLD.

As far as the New 52 line goes, "Justice League War" was great, and "Throne of Atlantis" was pretty good as well...the Batman ones were a bit meh. Until "Bad Blood", which was pretty entertaining but no where near the level of the earlier Batman stuff.

From the old stuff, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse and Under The Red Hood are my favorites (though I still take issue to this day with the title of the former).

As far as the new ones, Throne of Atlantis is my favorite thus far.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I eagerly wait for the postman to bring me Throne and Gods and Monsters.

How did they get away with that level of violence in Flashpoint (overall it was really good)? Under the Red Hood is overrated but its ending got to me.
    Build up was well done.

Never thought of DC being able to make an adaption of The Dark Knight Returns that'll please me but here we are. The score was incredible.

Is Beware the Batman a good/solid show with some peaks? Or is it horrible? How was its reception?

BANNED

I feel like I'm the only one who liked Superman: Unbound.

The quality of stuff didn't really get bad in my opinion until Flashpoint and then it got really bad afterwards with the exception of the "Gods and Monsters" stuff by Bruce Timm.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Is Beware the Batman a good/solid show with some peaks? Or is it horrible? How was its reception?
    I think Beware The Batman was a solid Batman show that at least tried to be a little different or standout from its predecessors while still being true to the character. Not always to success, but it certainly had its own style and identity (with the CG animation helping in that regard).

It was another show cut down early because Cartoon Network didn't want "serious" Superhero cartoons, and they barely even aired it, which is a shame because it really started picking up in its second half .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Beware The Batman was a solid Batman show that at least tried to be a little different or standout from its predecessors while still being true to the character. Not always to success, but it certainly had its own style and identity (with the CG animation helping in that regard).

It was another show cut down early because Cartoon Network didn't want "serious" Superhero cartoons, and they barely even aired it, which is a shame because it really started picking up in its second half .
    Thanks. There are some clips on youtube and Batman, Croc and Deathstroke are surprisingly well done from what I've seen but the wallet already hurts...

To correct the OP, Gods and Monsters isn't apart of the New 52 movies as it is a separate universe from the other movies. Right now its my favorite of the new batch and I eagerly hope its get a sequel or gets an ongoing comic or become a proper show.

I'm not against the new 52 inspired movies or the idea of a connected movie universe but that seems like a better idea for a show. The old format of self contained movies is a better idea rather than making them connected because it gives more time to flesh everything out.

Outside of Bad Blood or the JL vs Teen Titans none of it looks interesting to me. Hopefully they widened their scope beyond Batman and come up with a take that's truly unique/different.