Page 114 of 153 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118124 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 2281
    Spectacular Member

It actually came out yesterday on Blu Ray too!

So, I thought this movie was awesome. Like, maybe my 3rd favorite Batman movie after Begins and Dark Knight.

First off, I feel like this learned from Year One and (to a far lesser extent) Dark Knight Returns in that it wasn't just a direct, scene for scene, line for line adaptation of the comic. It took the story and the framework but it added to it. Plenty of new scenes with Bruce, Harvey, and Gordon were added that made their personal lives come to life a little more than they did in the book, and there were two really notable scenes with Falcone that added a lot to him and his relationships with his organization and his family. Similarly, the Joker's escape was handled differently here. In the comic, he just sort of escapes off screen, but here it's a really intense scene that had me on the edge of my seat.

Interestingly, the movie also looks at Batman Earth One somewhat in that it portrays the younger Batman as not initially a great detective (he even states that he didn't expect he'd have to be) but we see him sharpen those skills a bit as the movie goes on. This was a really cool angle that I loved. There is also an added angle to Harvey's character that I don't remember the comic having.

More to the point, this just felt more cinematic than lots of these do. Music is absent except for big moments, the scenes sometimes go on long enough to add subtext. The choice of shots and where scenes started and ended was so thoughtful. Between this and Man of Tomorrow, I think we need to have Tim Sheridan and Chris Palmer write and direct all of these, because these two are far and away the best these movies have ever been in my opinion.

So, what does everyone think? Am I crazy, or did this rock?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Parker View Post
    It actually came out yesterday on Blu Ray too!

So, I thought this movie was awesome. Like, maybe my 3rd favorite Batman movie after Begins and Dark Knight.

First off, I feel like this learned from Year One and (to a far lesser extent) Dark Knight Returns in that it wasn't just a direct, scene for scene, line for line adaptation of the comic. It took the story and the framework but it added to it. Plenty of new scenes with Bruce, Harvey, and Gordon were added that made their personal lives come to life a little more than they did in the book, and there were two really notable scenes with Falcone that added a lot to him and his relationships with his organization and his family. Similarly, the Joker's escape was handled differently here. In the comic, he just sort of escapes off screen, but here it's a really intense scene that had me on the edge of my seat.

Interestingly, the movie also looks at Batman Earth One somewhat in that it portrays the younger Batman as not initially a great detective (he even states that he didn't expect he'd have to be) but we see him sharpen those skills a bit as the movie goes on. This was a really cool angle that I loved. There is also an added angle to Harvey's character that I don't remember the comic having.

More to the point, this just felt more cinematic than lots of these do. Music is absent except for big moments, the scenes sometimes go on long enough to add subtext. The choice of shots and where scenes started and ended was so thoughtful. Between this and Man of Tomorrow, I think we need to have Tim Sheridan and Chris Palmer write and direct all of these, because these two are far and away the best these movies have ever been in my opinion.

So, what does everyone think? Am I crazy, or did this rock?
    Glad to hear that. I'm now interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    So basically this confirms that Batman: The Long Halloween Part 1 & 2 are standalone movies. I'm fine with this because I always wanted The Long Halloween to be adapted as a standalone movie.
    The intended start of a shared universe doesn't make it a stand alone - it might not feature crossovers, but it's still shared universe and continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    The intended start of a shared universe doesn't make it a stand alone - it might not feature crossovers, but it's still shared universe and continuity.
    Eh, if the story can stand on its own feet I think it's a standalone.

Like, Dr. Strange was set in the MCU but as a solo film it's fairly standalone.

I guess it depends how you define it.

Astonishing Member

This movie was totally fine, and enjoyable as a whodunnit murder mystery. The animation style looks nice but I wish they could’ve done something to emulate Sale’s art but this style was fine for the retro feel they were going for. Liked everyone here voice acting-wise except for Troy Baker’s Joker who was basically doing a Hamil impression. Animation quality I can take or leave since some parts looked rather cheap but it looked mostly decent. Most of the changes from the comic worked for me fine. Nothing too out there, or majorly different as the same basic story from the comic remained intact. Overall, this was a fairly good adaption. 6.8/10 for me. Part two looks much more exciting. I’ll definitely check it out whenever it gets released.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 06-24-2021 at 11:01 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    This movie was totally fine, and enjoyable as a whodunnit murder mystery. The animation style looks nice but I wish they could’ve done something to emulate Sale’s art but this style was fine for the retro feel they were going for. Liked everyone here voice acting-wise except for Troy Baker’s Joker who was basically doing a Hamil impression. Animation quality I can take or leave since some parts looked rather cheap but it looked mostly decent. Most of the changes from the comic worked for me fine. Nothing too out there, or majorly different as the same basic story from the comic remained intact. Overall, this was a fairly good adaption. 6.8/10 for me. Part two looks much more exciting. I’ll definitely check it out whenever it gets released.
    Well, that's basically been Baker's Joker since Arkham Origins (where he was supposed to be a younger Hamill).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, that's basically been Baker's Joker since Arkham Origins (where he was supposed to be a younger Hamill).
    That’s fine there, since as you said he’s playing a younger version of the same Arkham Joker that Mark Hamil played but here he’s playing a totally different version, and I don’t feel he needed to be cast in this part if all he could do is a Hamil impersonation.

- Charles Schultz.

That’s fine there, since as you said he’s playing a younger version of the same Arkham Joker that Mark Hamil played but here he’s playing a totally different version, and I don’t feel he needed to be cast in this part if all he could do is a Hamil impersonation.
    To a lot of people Joker is Hamill's voice, so a performance that's very evocative of it would probably be seen as acceptable.

Kind of like how every Two-Face voice is basically trying to capture Richard Moll's Two-Face.

Didn’t people hate Richardson’s Joker in The Batman? And Young Justice Joker was godawful. Only other Joker who is anywhere near Hamill is DiMaggio Joker, real pity we haven’t gotten more of his Joker.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

To a lot of people Joker is Hamill's voice, so a performance that's very evocative of it would probably be seen as acceptable.

Kind of like how every Two-Face voice is basically trying to capture Richard Moll's Two-Face.
    And to a lot of people Batman’s isConroy
    ‘s voice but you don’t see Ackles doing a Conroy impersonation the same way Baker is clearly doing with his imitation of Hamil’s Joker. Ackles Batman voice sounds appropriate for the character all while sounding distinct from Conroy, I would expect the same with Joker. I just don’t think it was the right call to have this version of the Joker sound so much like Hamill’s here.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 06-24-2021 at 02:57 PM.

- Charles Schultz.

Richardson was a fantastic Joker in The Batman. One of maybe five Jokers across all mediums who could be called entertaining.

‘s voice but you don’t see Ackles doing a Conroy impersonation the same way Baker is clearly doing with his imitation of Hamil’s Joker. Ackles Batman voice sounds appropriate for the character all while sounding distinct from Conroy, I would expect the same with Joker. I just don’t think it was the right call to have this version of the Joker sound so much like Hamill’s here.
    Yeah, this happens in other franchises too and just leads to the characters sounding like knock-offs of themselves.

I'd be like if in B:TAS Hamil or whatever VA they got was just told to a Nicolson or Romero impression.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Batman in his year one, it fits with everything else we have seen so far. I dont think the trinity has come together yet

Well, with Ackles playing Batman it's not so much that I think it's an impersonation but he's doing the kind of voice that would be expected of Batman.

Similarly how Baker is doing a voice that he thinks would be expected of Joker, and that's very much emulating Hamil's Joker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Richardson was a fantastic Joker in The Batman. One of maybe five Jokers across all mediums who could be called entertaining.
    He actually was nominated for an emmy for his Joker.

Although I think I remember people critiquing his Joker for trying to sound too much like Hamill back when the show was first airing.
    Yeah, this happens in other franchises too and just leads to the characters sounding like knock-offs of themselves.

I'd be like if in B:TAS Hamil or whatever VA they got was just told to a Nicolson or Romero impression.
    I'm reminded of Jake Foushee as Optimus Prime or the people who have tired to imitate Arlene Sorkin as Harley.

Of course there's always taking direct inspiration, like I think Jeff Bennett intentionally channeled Romero and Nicholson for Brave and the Bold Joker without being an exact retread. Anthony Ingruber took inspiration from almost every major Joker for Telltale Joker.

Astonishing Member

Well, with Ackles playing Batman it's not so much that I think it's an impersonation but he's doing the kind of voice that would be expected of Batman.

Similarly how Baker is doing a voice that he thinks would be expected of Joker, and that's very much emulating Hamil's Joker.

Well, I think there’s a way to do a voice that fits the character without doing a cheap imitation of a previous actor. John DiMaggio managed to do this quite well with his Joker, imo. I would think an actor of Baker’s talent would be more inclined to do a Joker voice that stands on its own without immediately being reminiscent of Hamill. I think that would be a more interesting challenge for him as an actor.

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Didn’t people hate Richardson’s Joker in The Batman? And Young Justice Joker was godawful. Only other Joker who is anywhere near Hamill is DiMaggio Joker, real pity we haven’t gotten more of his Joker.
    They did at first because the shadow of B:TAS loomed heavily over the show when it was coming out but I think with time and with fans having grown up with the show, people have a more positive reception towards his take now