Page 48 of 156 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    A true shame. It's cool that Tim has YJ and Dick had the 2000s TT series to increase their exposure. Damian has the DCAU movies to boost his star power.

Where can we put Jason?
    Is Tim in YJ it doesn’t feel like it
    Jason had a better showing

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if YJ has really done much for Tim. It's been two seasons but aside from maybe the first half of season 2 the show has barely done anything with him.

Under the Red Hood
    is one of the most popular animated Batman films, and Jason is also on Titans, so he's not completely devoid of strong media representation.
    Well it included him, and Jason, and Steph, and Cass, and Harper and has a better Dick, while still having Damian coming down the pipeline, so already that’s a step up from whatever the Animated movies were doing. And let’s face it, if/when that next season arrives, we’re almost guaranteed to see Kate, David, Jean Paul, and Michael in some form.

And seriously, I actually do like Tim’s role on the Season 2 and Season 3 episodes.

Better to “barely” do anything than to do *nothing* at all.

Though I’ll confess, Young Justice is a lot more of a complementary production to geeks who what to explore, discuss, and read up more on stuff. To borrow a phrase I’ve seen in Star Wars discussion, Young Justice isn’t a consumer product, it’s a prosumer product.

I’d just argue it also has enough mainstream appeal to be a superior product to the DCAU films in that respect as well; the fact that the DCAU skews towards the same older demographic as Young Justice removes some of its arguments for more widespread appeal. I mean, we *know* that Young Justice successfully built a new audience that helped resurrect it (just not in the demographic that Cartoon Network wanted), while the DCAU is going to get closed down for just being a bit too spotty.

Characters in YJ benefit more than characters in the DCAU.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 04-27-2020 at 08:23 AM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Well it included him, and Jason, and Steph, and Cass, and Harper and has a better Dick, while still having Damian coming down the pipeline, so already that’s a step up from whatever the Animated movies were doing. And let’s face it, if/when that next season arrives, we’re almost guaranteed to see Kate, David, Jean Paul, and Michael in some form.
    I'm not sure if that's a glowing recommendation. I mean, it's great that they managed to include those characters but Harper Row got more screentime and character focus then half of the characters you mentioned.

Kate was in Outsiders with Batman Inc. Even though she was just kind of there. I don't expect major character focus unless Bette shows up as Flamebird but probably not like what she got in Bad Blood.
    And seriously, I actually do like Tim’s role on the Season 2 and Season 3 episodes.
    Again, I like what they did with him in the first half of season 2 and the (literally) one episode of season 3 he got...but otherwise he was either just standing around or looking guilty. If I didn't already care about Tim I'm not sure if I would even be invested in the character on the show.
    Better to “barely” do anything than to do *nothing* at all.
    I'm not sure if one is necesarilly better then the other. You're still left complaining about a lack of love or attention for a character you care about.
    Though I’ll confess, Young Justice is a lot more of a complementary production to geeks who what to explore, discuss, and read up more on stuff. To borrow a phrase I’ve seen in Star Wars discussion, Young Justice isn’t a consumer product, it’s a prosumer product.
    In the sense that they introduce a lot of characters, may not necessarilly do a lot with them, and expect you to read the source material or other such sources to get a better feeling for them? I don't necessarily disagree.
    I’d just argue it also has enough mainstream appeal to be a superior product to the DCAU films in that respect as well; the fact that the DCAU skews towards the same older demographic as Young Justice removes some of its arguments for more widespread appeal. I mean, we *know* that Young Justice successfully built a new audience that helped resurrect it (just not in the demographic that Cartoon Network wanted), while the DCAU is going to get closed down for just being a bit too spotty.
    I don't think they're ending it for quality reasons. It's not like that was why they instituted a continuity because the standalones weren't doing well, and the movies were still selling. It's probably that they just want to go in a different direction.
    Characters in YJ benefit more than characters in the DCAU.
    And certain characters that appear in YJ are more benefited in the DCAU. Like the adult heroes, or even characters like Superboy who are more comic-accurate then they were in YJ. Or characters who haven't even appeared like the Titans, Trinity supporting casts, or Suicide Squad members.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Destination Adaptation - Reimagination

How do the animated movies compare to their comic adaptations?

Superman Doomsday (2007) + Death of Superman + Reign of the Supermen vs The comic arcs of the same name.

Wonder Woman (2009) vs Wonder Woman Gods and Mortals (George Perez's first arc)

Superman Batman Public Enemies vs Comic

Superman Batman Apocalypse vs Kara Zor-El Saga

Batman Under the Red Hood vs Batman Under the Hood

All Star Superman vs Comic

Superman vs The Elite vs What's So Funny About Truth Justice And the American Way

Batman Year One vs Comic

Batman The Dark Knight Returns vs Comic

Superman: Unbound vs Superman Brainiac

Son of Batman vs Batman and Son

Batman vs Robin vs Court of Owls

Batman The Killing Joke vs Comic

Batman Gotham by Gaslight vs Comic

Batman Hush vs Comic

Justice League the New Frontier vs Comic

Justice League Crisis on Two Earths vs JLA Earth-2

Justice League Doom vs JLA Tower of Babel

Justice League Flashpoint Paradox vs Flashpoint

Justice League War vs New 52 JL Origins

Justice League Throne of Atlantis - New 52 comic

Justice League Gods and Monsters vs Comic

Teen Titans Judas Contract vs Comic

Constantine City of Demons vs Comic

Suicide Squad Hell To Pay vs Comic

Apokolips War vs Darkseid War
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 05-03-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Superman Batman Apocalypse vs Kara Zor-El Saga - Didn't like either. The movie was so corny with that Supergirl shopping scene in the middle. But the comic did have Superman pushing Darkseid into the Source Wall and the freaking movie left it out. WHY? The only reason I watched the movie was to see that part animated. WTF DC?

Batman Under the Red Hood vs Batman Under the Hood - I couldn't finish the movie. I guess I'm one of the few who just don't get it. I didn't like how Black Mask acted in the movie, he was like a man-child or something. And some of the dialogue felt really off. Again, WTF? So the comic for me.

Batman The Dark Knight Returns vs Comic - Really enjoyed both, I would say this is one of the best DC animated films. It was able to capture the tone and bleakness perfectly.

Batman vs Robin vs Court of Owls - I liked both, maybe the movie a bit more. I liked the nightmare scene where Bruce's parents died, that was a nice touch. And there are some awesome action scenes, and Batman getting beat up pretty bad for once.

Batman The Killing Joke vs Comic - The comic by far, the voice acting was way off, especially for Kevin Conroy. And the sex scene. Again WTF DC??

Justice League Doom vs JLA Tower of Babel - Obviously Tower of Babel, because it plays into Batman's guilt and you can see how he sort of regrets having plans for the League. But in the movie he was just a brick wall with no emotions. And all the JLA members were idiots in the movie.

Justice League Flashpoint Paradox vs Flashpoint - Both were good. I say this is the best DC animated movie by far. Better than quite a lot of the DCEU movies.

Justice League Throne of Atlantis - New 52 comic - The animated movie was a joke. All the good parts were removed.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Destination Adaptation - Reimagination

How do the animated movies compare to their comic adaptations?

Superman Doomsday (2007) + Death of Superman + Reign of the Supermen vs The comic arcs of the same name.
    I have only seen Death of Superman+Reign of the Supermen and I prefer the Comic.
    Its because the Animated Versions are more based on the NEW52 characters, so I prefer the Comic Pre-Flashpoint characters.

Reign of Supermen is different from Reign of Supermen Comic...Conner got more screentime, he met his first girlfriend Tana Moon, there was Mongul in the Comics etc. etc.

All I will say about the new film is that it was bold and dark.....very dark.

It won't be for everyone that's for sure. Some fans will probably really enjoy it for others it will be a turn off. I don't recommend it for smaller kids.
    The J-man

Wasn't really that good but we can finally close the book on these movies and go back to good original content and adaptions

Wasn't my cup of tea but people seem split about it on social media
    The J-man

Well this movie finally showed what the people who made this animated universe thought of Hal Jordan, as if that wasn't obvious enough since Justice League: War. He was just their meme material. Why did they feel the need to bring in Nathan Fillion to voice him in the previous movies I have no idea(yes, Hal gets no lines here, shocker). Oh well, I'm not particularly looking forward to what they appear to be planning on doing from now on, but FWIW if I hear some positive feedback I may consider checking out Superman: Man of Tomorrow when it's out.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Oh well, I'm not particularly looking forward to what they appear to be planning on doing from now on, but FWIW if I hear some positive feedback I may consider checking out Superman: Man of Tomorrow when it's out.
    What do they appear to be planning on doing from now on?

Whelp. Just finished the movie. Overall...I liked it. Though it wasn't what I was expecting...which was both a good and a bad thing. It wasn't my favorite of these animated movies (that's still Judas Contract and the first JL: Dark). Not by a long shot. But I liked it. And I'm gonna miss this universe, if this really is the last one.

Though if I just had a few gripes...

spoilers:

If all those Titans were gonna be in the movie just to stand around for a few seconds and then get killed off, I'd have preferred that this just stay a JL movie with no Titans. That was SUCH a fucking tease, seeing all those characters there just for them to basically do nothing. Like...I get most of the heroes had to die for this story to be the way that it was but holy shit, the Titans had "fodder" written all over them. Meanwhile most of the Justice League actually survived Darkseid's initial attack.

As much as I dislike the Raven and Damian ship. It was actually handled pretty nice....Until Raven'ts magical "I love you" tears brought him back to life. Which is a trope I always LOATHE. Don't get me wrong, I 'm happy Damian's alive but...if they were gonna bring him back like that, he should have just stayed dead. Because, honestly, that was pretty good death scene. I was fine with him going out like that and triggering Trigon's return (which, in turn, saved everyone).

Also what was all that shit about Raven being alone when one of her teammates (aside from Damian) was still alive? Maybe explain why Conner didn't stick around with her. All it would have taken was one line.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Blue22; 05-05-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    What do they appear to be planning on doing from now on?
    Watch the movie and find out.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

So uhh...that was a really intense movie. Wasn't expecting such gruesome deaths. I do think it was a fitting end to the universe. If anything, I feel like aquaman and mera should have had more moments since they had a whole movie. Besides that, I think it did a good job of paying tribute to all of the films in the universe and tying it with a neat knot.

Very curious if the upcoming superman film and the long halloween will start a new continuity of films. Both could technically be good origin/entry level films for the charaters so..