Page 66 of 153 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think in some regards quality is universal but I'd never compare something like Under the Red Hood to a Lego movie or the Batman Unlimited films aside from maybe in a more abstract sense.
    I don't know, I mean The Dark Knight and The Incredibles are different from each other in the same ways as those examples, and yet most of us agree that they're amazing movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't know, I mean The Dark Knight and The Incredibles are different from each other in the same ways as those examples, and yet most of us agree that they're amazing movies.
    Yeah, but I wouldn't really go for a one-to-one comparison between the two because there are so many differences between them as Superhero movies.

Yeah, but I wouldn't really go for a one-to-one comparison between the two because there are so many differences between them as Superhero movies.
    There's differences between tacos and burgers, but they're still all food and I know when I'm tasting a good one and a bad one either way. It's clear when the script works, the animation is well drawn, and how much it entertains.

There's differences between tacos and burgers, but they're still all food and I know when I'm tasting a good one and a bad one either way. It's clear when the script works, the animation is well drawn, and how much it entertains.
    But I'd probably compare two different tacos than I would a taco and a burger because they are two different kinds of foods with two different tastes.

But I'd probably compare two different tacos than I would a taco and a burger because they are two different kinds of foods with two different tastes.
    Hell, can you really say that this isn't closer to comparing two tacos together rather than a taco to a burger? The age of the audience is different, but the films are both animated, feature the same characters, falls under the same genre. Outside of rating what's the real difference? It's like getting mild sauce to make a kid's taco and using ghost peppers for an adult's.

Hell, can you really say that this isn't closer to comparing two tacos together rather than a taco to a burger? The age of the audience is different, but the films are both animated, feature the same characters, falls under the same genre. Outside of rating what's the real difference? It's like getting mild sauce to make a kid's taco and using ghost peppers for an adult's.
    Yeah, but I think the age group and intended audience make enough of a differential to where it's not worth comparing them. Again, I don't see what's the point of comparing Under the Red Hood to, say, Batman Unlimited aside from elements that would come down to personal preference like designs, VA work, etc.

Yeah, but I think the age group and intended audience make enough of a differential to where it's not worth comparing them. Again, I don't see what's the point of comparing Under the Red Hood to, say, Batman Unlimited aside from elements that would come down to personal preference like designs, VA work, etc.
    I really don't think that that it does make enough difference. There's far more similarities than differences, and those differences are solely what is and isn't appropriate for the intended age group. Just because one can curse and show blood and the other can't they're too different? No, in my opinion that's just not enough to separate them. Some of the older aimed stuff is better, some of the younger aimed stuff is better, and they're similar enough that you can definitely compare them. If JLA Adventures had swearing and blood it'd suddenly be fine to compare it to Justice League War? No, I can compare them as is, and JLA Adventures is clearly better in my opinion.

I really don't think that that it does make enough difference. There's far more similarities than differences, and those differences are solely what is and isn't appropriate for the intended age group. Just because one can curse and show blood and the other can't they're too different? No, in my opinion that's just not enough to separate them. Some of the older aimed stuff is better, some of the younger aimed stuff is better, and they're similar enough that you can definitely compare them. If JLA Adventures had swearing and blood it'd suddenly be fine to compare it to Justice League War? No, I can compare them as is, and JLA Adventures is clearly better in my opinion.
    But I think the tone and age group dictate the approach to the content enough to where I feel like it's fairer to compare something that goes for a similar approach than to try and compare two different iterations of a brand with two very different styles and goals in terms of movies. I would not compare JLA Adventures to War but I would compare other Justice League movies in the same line since I feel that's a fairer critique.

I think for comparisons sake there's more to be said for the contrast or similarities between two different iterations aimed at different age groups than to wholesale compare them from a critical standpoint.

But I think the tone and age group dictate the approach to the content enough to where I feel like it's fairer to compare something that goes for a similar approach than to try and compare two different iterations of a brand with two very different styles and goals in terms of movies. I would not compare JLA Adventures to War but I would compare other Justice League movies in the same line since I feel that's a fairer critique.

I think for comparisons sake there's more to be said for the contrast or similarities between two different iterations aimed at different age groups than to wholesale compare them from a critical standpoint.
    Eh, I still disagree. Sure, tone and approach matters, but that doesn't stop people from comparing the MCU movies to Snyder's DCEU movies.

Eh, I still disagree. Sure, tone and approach matters, but that doesn't stop people from comparing the MCU movies to Snyder's DCEU movies.
    Now, I feel those are comparable they are both big-budget live-action adaptions of tentpole properties even though the style is so wildly different, but in the grand scheme of things they're meant to be aimed at the same kind of audiences even if Snyder's films don't adhere to the same kind of "all ages" style the MCU films do, but it's not comparing a kids animated film to an animated film aimed at more older fans.

Now, I feel those are comparable they are both big-budget live-action adaptions of tentpole properties even though the style is so wildly different, but in the grand scheme of things they're meant to be aimed at the same kind of audiences even if Snyder's films don't adhere to the same kind of "all ages" style the MCU films do, but it's not comparing a kids animated film to an animated film aimed at more older fans.
    Still I just don't see how it's that different. The ways in which they're similar largely outstrips the ways they are different. There's a bit of a tonal difference, though not always that big of one (I mean the Batman Unlimited movies or The Batman vs Dracula movie are mostly serious movies and not comedies, similar enough to Under the Red Hood), and the stuff you can't show to a younger audience like cursing and blood, which is not indicative of quality. Largely the arguments you're making just doesn't feel like it is enough of a difference to matter. If it's good or bad is disassociated from the rating, and what makes them bad it good is largely the same sorts of things. It's very easy and natural to compare the two I think. It's not like one line is especially coming into a bad light against the other, both the kids stuff and more mature stuff have their gems and duds. When I list the animated movies I like and dislike, there's a mix of the two.

Still I just don't see how it's that different. The ways in which they're similar largely outstrips the ways they are different. There's a bit of a tonal difference, though not always that big of one (I mean the Batman Unlimited movies or The Batman vs Dracula movie are mostly serious movies and not comedies, similar enough to Under the Red Hood), and the stuff you can't show to a younger audience like cursing and blood, which is not indicative of quality. Largely the arguments you're making just doesn't feel like it is enough of a difference to matter. If it's good or bad is disassociated from the rating, and what makes them bad it good is largely the same sorts of things. It's very easy and natural to compare the two I think. It's not like one line is especially coming into a bad light against the other, both the kids stuff and more mature stuff have their gems and duds. When I list the animated movies I like and dislike, there's a mix of the two.
    I don't view the Unlimited movies as mostly serious. The vibrant and colorful art style, the jokes, the personalities, all seemed more in-line with JLA Trapped in Time than Under the Red Hood.

Vs. Dracula I would put in-line with Mask of the Phantasm (not in terms of quality but in terms of a feature film of a DC cartoon).

Myself, personally, while I expect a quality product I don't hold the same expectations for every piece of DC Media because they're trying to tell different stories for each other and not even necessarily for the same audience. I don't critique a more adult oriented DC film the same way I do a Lego DC film because there are differences in how they approach the material that I feel need to be kept in mind.

A kid-oriented DC film doesn't need blood or swearing, of course but for those that do have that aspect, how they handle it is relevant in critiquing it for my money.

As a general list of films I like/dislike, I would also probably have a mix of the two as well, but I wouldn't intend for it to say they can be one-to-one compared to each other as films.

I don't view the Unlimited movies as mostly serious. The vibrant and colorful art style, the jokes, the personalities, all seemed more in-line with JLA Trapped in Time than Under the Red Hood.

Vs. Dracula I would put in-line with Mask of the Phantasm (not in terms of quality but in terms of a feature film of a DC cartoon).

Myself, personally, while I expect a quality product I don't hold the same expectations for every piece of DC Media because they're trying to tell different stories for each other and not even necessarily for the same audience. I don't critique a more adult oriented DC film the same way I do a Lego DC film because there are differences in how they approach the material that I feel need to be kept in mind.

A kid-oriented DC film doesn't need blood or swearing, of course but for those that do have that aspect, how they handle it is relevant in critiquing it for my money.

As a general list of films I like/dislike, I would also probably have a mix of the two as well, but I wouldn't intend for it to say they can be one-to-one compared to each other as films.
    I said mostly serious, not somber. More like the early live action Marvel movies before they went full hog on the comedy. Mostly serious doesn't mean it can't be vibrant, bright, with some humor. The first Iron Man was a mostly serious movie. And JLA Adventures wasn't that silly - certainly the personalities are not that different from the more mature versions or basic comic versions. Nightwing throws jokes like Spider-Man, many incarnations of Flash is funny. Doesn't put it on the same page as the LEGO or Superhero Girls stuff. Anyways, I put Unlimited in the same boat as many kids action cartoons I used to watch like Gargoyles, The Last Airbender, the DCAU, etc. Whether you consider those mostly serious is up to you. But I do.

Mask of the Phantasm is definitely mostly serious, so vs Dracula being on that level doesn't prevent it from comparison to Under the Red Hood. I mean Phantasm is basically the PG version of Under the Red Hood.

It depends. I obviously don't use the same criteria for every movie. Not just between the kid stuff vs the mature stuff. Each film is unique. You have to tailor your critique to each product. Doesn't mean that you can't find ground to then say which is of a superior quality despite the differences. I mean, I don't think we even disagree on how we judge movies or the criteria we use or how we change it to suit the aim and goals of the movies. We only disagree on the last part, where I take the end results and compare them to each other.

I get what you're saying and the points you are making - I just don't agree with them, and I don't think either of us is going to sway the other. Although it is interesting to see the similarities and differences in the ways people can evaluate the same thing, especially on such a fun topic like animated movies. Curious to see how we both actually rank out favorites of these.

Mighty Member

One thing I've wondered, considering Death in the Family's coming out and I'm sure DC has a slate for upcoming movies for 2021-22, how the production team is able to navigate through COVID-19. I'm guessing remotely? If that's so, then that's pretty good considering the circumstances. I'm guessing both DIIF and Man of Tomorrow were completed before the pandemic hit.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    One thing I've wondered, considering Death in the Family's coming out and I'm sure DC has a slate for upcoming movies for 2021-22, how the production team is able to navigate through COVID-19. I'm guessing remotely? If that's so, then that's pretty good considering the circumstances. I'm guessing both DIIF and Man of Tomorrow were completed before the pandemic hit.
    I don't think it would be too difficult to work remotely since a lot of productions are doing that these days, right down to voice acting.