Page 63 of 156 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think itÂ’s adaptational nature was a bit of a double-edged sword as well that played into the arguments about its quality, especially given the tone and taste of the franchise. I mean, I do think that the DCAMU is best evaluated as a parallel to the New 52 with some similar marketing and abridgment-based philosophies... but conducted in a more focused way and at a slower production pace, but with less material and at a faster storytelling pace.

That means that even pre-Flashpoint stories being adapted had a similar creative ethos to the New 52, but with different strengths and disadvantages. For instance, keeping the Robins limited to just Dick and Damian follows the idea of abridging and simplifying thing for new viewers... but also denies some of the legacy and lore that comic fans love and some of the storytelling advantages that lore and legacy brings in. Similarly, the Trigon and Darkseid elements have been “Hollywood-ed” up, but don’t have the slow burn of either the comics or the earlier cartoons to help them, and have to rely on mostly spectacle (not neccessarily a bad thing, but not neccessarily the bets thing either.)

And I think the Batman films always kind of landed a bit on the “meh” side for the comic fans in their adaptation as choice even at the best of times. Telling Damian’s story, but without Batman RIP, Batman Inc, no Grant Morrison-penned scripts, and no Tim nor Steph nor Jason to act as contrasts/companions to him, all of that can leave the character in that area where fans who were put off by his first appearance see those issues return anew, and more exaggerated (pretty hard to deny some Mary Sue qualities when Damian is ripping his impaled hands free to beat Deathstroke). Adapting Court of Owls but without Lincoln March removes some of the zany craziness that helped sell the concept even more, and again, the lack of development time arguably doesn’t fit a Court of Owl adaptation that well. And Hush... well, the Riddler and Hush combo has clear basis in trying to abridge and summarize the ideas of the story, but can feel like wasting two villains for the payoff of one.
    To me Batman v Robin was more Born to Kill than Court of Owls. Talon was Nobody. The story beats and conflicts are Born to kill.

I think the movies mixed and matched and fans missed or ignored that. fans labelled the universe new 52 due to War and the JL uniforms without stopping to actually look at the source material.

Fans saw the COO and called the movie an adaptation of COO when the main story being told was clearly from another comic.

As someone who got into DC and Comics thanks to Son of Batman I have to say that reading Batman and Son I found that Damian difficult to like.

I had no frame of reference going into these movies so my POV is very different.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think it’s adaptational nature was a bit of a double-edged sword as well that played into the arguments about its quality, especially given the tone and taste of the franchise. I mean, I do think that the DCAMU is best evaluated as a parallel to the New 52 with some similar marketing and abridgment-based philosophies... but conducted in a more focused way and at a slower production pace, but with less material and at a faster storytelling pace.

That means that even pre-Flashpoint stories being adapted had a similar creative ethos to the New 52, but with different strengths and disadvantages. For instance, keeping the Robins limited to just Dick and Damian follows the idea of abridging and simplifying thing for new viewers... but also denies some of the legacy and lore that comic fans love and some of the storytelling advantages that lore and legacy brings in. Similarly, the Trigon and Darkseid elements have been “Hollywood-ed” up, but don’t have the slow burn of either the comics or the earlier cartoons to help them, and have to rely on mostly spectacle (not neccessarily a bad thing, but not neccessarily the bets thing either.)

And I think the Batman films always kind of landed a bit on the “meh” side for the comic fans in their adaptation as choice even at the best of times. Telling Damian’s story, but without Batman RIP, Batman Inc, no Grant Morrison-penned scripts, and no Tim nor Steph nor Jason to act as contrasts/companions to him, all of that can leave the character in that area where fans who were put off by his first appearance see those issues return anew, and more exaggerated (pretty hard to deny some Mary Sue qualities when Damian is ripping his impaled hands free to beat Deathstroke). Adapting Court of Owls but without Lincoln March removes some of the zany craziness that helped sell the concept even more, and again, the lack of development time arguably doesn’t fit a Court of Owl adaptation that well. And Hush... well, the Riddler and Hush combo has clear basis in trying to abridge and summarize the ideas of the story, but can feel like wasting two villains for the payoff of one.
    There's always a tendency in adaptions of longterm storylines into single films to condense and take out characters, so I can't really fault them on that front. If Bad Blood is any indication then it's really difficult introducing a bunch of characters and making them significant to the plot, which is usually why that happens.

I think Dick and the Titans effectively provided that contrast to Damian that you refer to.

I was under the impression that most people weren't really hoping to see Lincoln March adapted. Talon was effective enough in that role without having to tack on the "is he Bruce's brother? Or isn't he?" mystery at the end that most people cite as the weakest point of the original Court of Owls storyline and had the added "Batman opposite number" cred through being voiced by Jeremy Sisto.

No more animated Batman movies for a while please!

I have no problem seeing Batman with the Justice League or in a team up movie, they could do a Batman / Wonder Woman Hiketeia or Batman / Green Lantern The Lords of the Luck!
    I hope it is at least a year of 4 movies so that they can surprise us with something!

During quarantine, do I have to receive this terrible news? DC take pity on us and surprise us with New Gods, JSA, a new Green Lantern, Hawkman, Shazam, a Green Lantern / Green Arrow! Give us a joy!

I remember years ago Marvel released an animated movie of Doctor Strange when Strange was nobody. I think they didn't expect to make a lot of money, that's selling franchises with the future in mind
    I can't understand that Warner doesn't want to have a variety of different animated movies in his library to put in HBO MAX. I understand that Hawkman Atom Mr. Miracle or Shazam are not as popular as Batman but I find it much more interesting than offering a catalog of 30 Batman movies!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Huh. I'm an old fart and as a general rule, I've enjoyed damn near every animated movie DC has released.
    There have been a couple of clunkers, and an unhealthy reliance on Batman appearances, but on a whole they have been excellent.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

The only Batman movies I really loved about this line were Under the Red Hood, Year One, and DKR!
    I don't like Gotham Knight and it made us lose Judas Contract starring the classic New Teen Titans! The only and maybe the last chance we would have for these Titans to get their movie!

Quote Originally Posted by EmaHalJordan View Post
    The only Batman movies I really loved about this line were Under the Red Hood, Year One, and DKR!
    I don't like Gotham Knight and it made us lose Judas Contract starring the classic New Teen Titans! The only and maybe the last chance we would have for these Titans to get their movie!
    The animated film has a superior team lineup to the comics. The less sidekicks on the team, the better, more unique the Teen Titans are.

Only want a Hawk movie if it stars Hawkgirl, since she is more interesting and more popular. If only the comics started realizing that.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Finally got around to watching Wonder Woman: Bloodlines. It was not good. Not good at all. I mean this thing was just so overpacted with villians it made the story nonsensical. I mean 7 villians in one 80 minute movie?!? Who on Earth thought that was going to mske a good story? The whole plot was just stupid. This is probably the worst of the nu52 era movies by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    The animated film has a superior team lineup to the comics. The less sidekicks on the team, the better, more unique the Teen Titans are.

Only want a Hawk movie if it stars Hawkgirl, since she is more interesting and more popular. If only the comics started realizing that.
    I love that version of the Titans! Equally it would have been nice to see the classic Titans, at least once.

Man of Tomorrow trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Man of Tomorrow trailer.

Looks great.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Looks great.
    Yes. Now, please do a JSA movie! And maybe a Giffen/Dematteis League movie.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Yes. Now, please do a JSA movie! And maybe a Giffen/Dematteis League movie.
    Eh, I know a lot of people here are JSA fans, but I'm just not as interested in them personally. The Justice League or any of the Leaguers getting a solo or team up movie though I'm sold on. Flash or Aquaman could use more love. I also would be excited for Shazam or maybe the Birds of Prey or Gotham City Sirens. Wonder Woman of course. If you have to go outside of the League or Gotham heroes I think something like Green Arrow, Black Lightning, Vixen, or Blue Beetle would be great.

JSA ain't getting an animated movie unless they have a live-action movie in the works as well. These DVD flicks don't do cuts that deep usually.

Looks good. American Alien is one of my favorite recent Superman stories (despite the Landis factor).

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    JSA ain't getting an animated movie unless they have a live-action movie in the works as well. These DVD flicks don't do cuts that deep usually.
    Well the JSA are featured pretty heavily in the Stargirl tv show. Plus they’re supposed to have a role in the Black Adam movie.

We haven't even gotten a Flash movie (other than that Lego one?) since Flashpoint (which was still named and marketed as a Justice League film), and he's had a hit TV show for how many seasons now? They just don't make movies outside a very specific set of characters: The Trinity (and even Wonder Woman gets the short end of that stick), the Justice League and the Teen Titans.

Only way I see that happening is if they do some sort of Batman vs. JSA or Justice League vs. JSA type of deal.