Page 64 of 156 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    We haven't even gotten a Flash movie (other than that Lego one?) since Flashpoint (which was still named and marketed as a Justice League film), and he's had a hit TV show for how many seasons now? They just don't make movies outside a very specific set of characters: The Trinity (and even Wonder Woman gets the short end of that stick), the Justice League and the Teen Titans.

Only way I see that happening is if they do some sort of Batman vs. JSA or Justice League vs. JSA type of deal.
    Yeah a Justice League vs JSA is far more likely than an animated flick starring the JSA by themselves.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I know a lot of people here are JSA fans, but I'm just not as interested in them personally. The Justice League or any of the Leaguers getting a solo or team up movie though I'm sold on. Flash or Aquaman could use more love. I also would be excited for Shazam or maybe the Birds of Prey or Gotham City Sirens. Wonder Woman of course. If you have to go outside of the League or Gotham heroes I think something like Green Arrow, Black Lightning, Vixen, or Blue Beetle would be great.
    Would having them make a JSA movie break your arm? Or DC's? Obviously not, so why not?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    We haven't even gotten a Flash movie (other than that Lego one?) since Flashpoint (which was still named and marketed as a Justice League film), and he's had a hit TV show for how many seasons now? They just don't make movies outside a very specific set of characters: The Trinity (and even Wonder Woman gets the short end of that stick), the Justice League and the Teen Titans.

Only way I see that happening is if they do some sort of Batman vs. JSA or Justice League vs. JSA type of deal.
    Very likely. That just means DC and WB are shortsighted.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Would having them make a JSA movie break your arm? Or DC's? Obviously not, so why not?
    It wouldn't, but as for why not - they aren't a well enough known property to risk it. That's why they are being introduced in a Black Adam movie instead of their own JSA movie. They need to be built up where people don't ask "What the hell is a JSA?"

Extraordinary Member

It wouldn't, but as for why not - they aren't a well enough known property to risk it. That's why they are being introduced in a Black Adam movie instead of their own JSA movie. They need to be built up where people don't ask "What the hell is a JSA?"
    Wait...you mean like Stargirl isn't well enough known to say warrant a TV show? Hmmm...

Besides, the JSA have appeared in other media since Smallville and then Legends of Tomorrow, and now Stargirl. And the people who buy these DVDs....and this is key....are the ones who already know about the JSA; comic book fans, and likely DC comic book fans.

I don't really know why people still insist on that bit about not being well known enough when it is not even relevant. In 1976 no one had ever heard of Luke Skywalker. Iron Man wasn't well enough known to warrant a big budget movie, yet it managed to eke out some small success. Even more with Thor or Ant-Man or GoTG. No one cried out, "Who are those guys" in any of those cases. Success depends on a number of factors, but that isn't one of them. If ATT/WB/DC have a problem with giving that property a try...a LOW risk try because their animated DVDs are a LOT cheaper than a live action movie, comparable to an expensive episode of some TV shows...it's because they are short sighted.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Wait...you mean like Stargirl isn't well enough known to say warrant a TV show? Hmmm...

Besides, the JSA have appeared in other media since Smallville and then Legends of Tomorrow, and now Stargirl. And the people who buy these DVDs....and this is key....are the ones who already know about the JSA; comic book fans, and likely DC comic book fans.

I don't really know why people still insist on that bit about not being well known enough when it is not even relevant. In 1976 no one had ever heard of Luke Skywalker. Iron Man wasn't well enough known to warrant a big budget movie, yet it managed to eke out some small success. Even more with Thor or Ant-Man or GoTG. No one cried out, "Who are those guys" in any of those cases. Success depends on a number of factors, but that isn't one of them. If ATT/WB/DC have a problem with giving that property a try...a LOW risk try because their animated DVDs are a LOT cheaper than a live action movie, comparable to an expensive episode of some TV shows...it's because they are short sighted.
    Stargirl is a cheap streaming show to build up content on the DCU streaming service. Doesn't follow the same math and requirements.

Listing CW shows the JSA has had small cameos in doesn't help. Also, and this is key, the people who buy these films aren't just us comic nerds. It may be made by fans and for fans, but it is supported by a larger audience. We aren't enough to support these videos. We comic book fans are maybe a quarter of the people who buy these. Never mind that vocal support on this site not withstanding, JSA fans don't reach JL, Batman, Superman numbers.

Being well known is important here - this isn't the MCU, you can't expect DC Animation to pull off a Guardians of the Galaxy, the studio and line doesn't have that kind of clout.

Also try to keep in mind no one is dissing the JSA. Just saying that there is reason to believe that they won't get a cartoon movie until after they get built up and take off more in live action supporting roles. You are free to disagree, but it isn't a knock against the characters or property, and it isn't a "you'll never get a JSA movie muahahaha evil chuckle."

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Looks like WB is re-releasing Under the Hood as an interactive movie. Now titled Death in the Family and including new short animations. It seems like viewers will be able to make choices to effect the outcome of Jason's fate. A lot like the call-in telethon that got him killed back in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Looks like WB is re-releasing Under the Hood as an interactive movie. Now titled Death in the Family and including new short animations. It seems like viewers will be able to make choices to effect the outcome of Jason's fate. A lot like the call-in telethon that got him killed back in the 80s.

It's not just a re-release of Under the Red Hood as an interactive movie - there's a few scenes from before Jason dies that indicates that this also helps serve as a prequel and serves as a version of the Death in the Family story.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post

First DC Animation Choose Your Own Adventure .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    First DC Animation Choose Your Own Adventure .
    But hopefully not the last. I mean it would get annoying fast if everything they did was like this. But the occasional interactive movie or short could be a very interesting addition to the usual lineup.

But hopefully not the last. I mean it would get annoying fast if everything they did was like this. But the occasional interactive movie or short could be a very interesting addition to the usual lineup.
    I'd definitely be down for more .

Mighty Member

I'm new to the DCAU. I originally had written it off because I thought that the movies were standalone, not that that is a problem, I just wished it was more connected. Lo and behold they did connect later on that it stoked my interest and I intend on collecting the whole shebang. Looking forward to Man of Tomorrow and Death in the Family.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I'm new to the DCAU. I originally had written it off because I thought that the movies were standalone, not that that is a problem, I just wished it was more connected. Lo and behold they did connect later on that it stoked my interest and I intend on collecting the whole shebang. Looking forward to Man of Tomorrow and Death in the Family.
    Don't - the bulk of the stuff that connects and shares a universe is... not great. I only recommend The Death of Superman (but not Reign of the Supermen). By far the best of their movies are the ones that are unconnected. Luckily that shared universe is dead, and I'm hoping they give it a few years before they try it again.

But agreed, both of those upcoming movies look very good and promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd definitely be down for more .
    Question is, which stories make sense for this sort of thing? Here it makes sense, kind of riffing off the vote for him to live/die nature of the original comic. But most stories don't have a gimmick like that to utilize, and there's a big desire to tell the stories mostly faithfully. So finding something to fit this style is hard. I'm mostly imagining original stories, or maybe movies based on the various videogame continuities.