Page 72 of 157 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 2342

Both Batman and Superman have gotten the most movies because they're the most reliable sellers. Just this year we basically got three Superman movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    What a surprise three of the four animated films next year are featuring Batman. DC really doesn’t have a lot of faith in the trinity do especially Wonder Woman for animated features.
    They've tried to give Wonder Woman her own features, they just don't sell as well. I suspect they'll be using the JSA to give Diana her own movie without actually labeling it a Wonder Woman movie.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    What a surprise three of the four animated films next year are featuring Batman. DC really doesn’t have a lot of faith in the trinity do especially Wonder Woman for animated features.
    I'm sure they'll make Bruce and Diana into Robin and Batwoman eventually. Then they'll match up to Batdaddy, right? Superman just got 3 animated movies and Diana one. It's sad that they can't make those sell as well, but they do seem very unwilling to grow other fanbases than Batman and sometimes Superman.

Arthur broke a billion at the box office and we got a DTV Lego movie to show for it, though I've heard that's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm sure they'll make Bruce and Diana into Robin and Batwoman eventually. Then they'll match up to Batdaddy, right? Superman just got 3 animated movies and Diana one. It's sad that they can't make those sell as well, but they do seem very unwilling to grow other fanbases than Batman and sometimes Superman.

Arthur broke a billion at the box office and we got a DTV Lego movie to show for it, though I've heard that's pretty good.
    Can we really fault them for a film not selling? I can't see what they could have done to make Bloodlines sell better. Even Diana's film from 2007 didn't do great and that's why it took them so long to do another one (which WB corporate helped push the team into doing because they wanted a Wonder Woman animated film out after the movie's success).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Can we really fault them for a film not selling? I can't see what they could have done to make Bloodlines sell better. Even Diana's film from 2007 didn't do great and that's why it took them so long to do another one (which WB corporate helped push the team into doing because they wanted a Wonder Woman animated film out after the movie's success).
    When she gets one film a decade with little marketing, we kind of can. Her star isn't as bright as Bruce's, so anyone with some sense will tell you it needs more help getting out there. They didn't buy any endcaps at Targets or the like, having the movie get put closer to the registers where more would see it, just shunted off to the back where you'd only see it if you were looking for movies.

That's fine if you don't want to actually grow an audience, but if you want to build an IP, you have to invest in more than just product.

I liked Bloodlines fine, but if they want Diana to rise, they need to do more to elevate her.

When she gets one film a decade with little marketing, we kind of can. Her star isn't as bright as Bruce's, so anyone with some sense will tell you it needs more help getting out there. They didn't buy any endcaps at Targets or the like, having the movie get put closer to the registers where more would see it, just shunted off to the back where you'd only see it if you were looking for movies.

That's fine if you don't want to actually grow an audience, but if you want to build an IP, you have to invest in more than just product.

I liked Bloodlines fine, but if they want Diana to rise, they need to do more to elevate her.
    I don’t think they made major marketing pushes for the Titans or Suicide Squad movies either so I’m not sure if we can expect them to make one major marketing push for a single film that they haven’t done for any of the others.

Extraordinary Member

Both Batman and Superman have gotten the most movies because they're the most reliable sellers. Just this year we basically got three Superman movies.

They've tried to give Wonder Woman her own features, they just don't sell as well. I suspect they'll be using the JSA to give Diana her own movie without actually labeling it a Wonder Woman movie.
    The JSA deserves better than that IMO, so I hope that doesn't happen in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    The JSA deserves better than that IMO, so I hope that doesn't happen in that way.
    I expect Diana might be the lead character but I don't expect the rest of the team to play second fiddle to her.

I don’t think they made major marketing pushes for the Titans or Suicide Squad movies either so I’m not sure if we can expect them to make one major marketing push for a single film that they haven’t done for any of the others.
    Sure, but I'd argue Wonder Woman is a bigger IP than both and deserved the effort, but that's a fair assertion to make. In Suicide Squad's defense, they also get media adaptions in larger medias like film and video games and highlight Harley, so they probably should market that better when it gets animated films too. Overall, their marketing animated features is really weak.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    You know me. I'm your brother in Power Girl fandom, but even I gotta say that the JSA's star isn't particularly strong in larger media. To many, they're just some poor man's Justice League who show up now and then on other shows and Hawkman dies to make the protagonist feel sad. I love them to pieces, they're my favorite superhero team, but they were always going to be guest stars until they spin off of someone else's show/movie/game. It hasn't happened yet.

If it takes Black Adam or Wonder Woman headlining a movie where they show up, that's fine. Unlike with Birds of Prey: And the Vanity Project of One Harley Quinn, Diana makes sense as a member of the team because she was one. She also fits their core ethos. I'll allow it. My only hope is that she's not completely running the damn thing because, well, it'd be like putting Harley on the BoP with Barabara and Dinah and telling them what to do. Get out of here with that nonsense. I'll live if she's leading alongside Jay, Alan and Carter/Ted. Hell, as much as I love Carter/Ted, if we must do a Trinity for the JSA in the '40s, she can take their spot as long as they're still prominent in the movie.

I love the JSA. I would love nothing more than for this to be THEIR movie, but if it took Wonder Woman to convince AT&T to pony up the money to give them an animated movie, I'm all aboard.

Now if it was modern day and she replaced Power Girl, I wouldn't just join you with pitchforks and torches, I'd be recruiting people to our cause.
    Last edited by Robanker; 08-24-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Sure, but I'd argue Wonder Woman is a bigger IP than both and deserved the effort, but that's a fair assertion to make. In Suicide Squad's defense, they also get media adaptions in larger medias like film and video games and highlight Harley, so they probably should market that better when it gets animated films too. Overall, their marketing animated features is really weak.
    To be fair these animated features are basically aimed at hardcore fans like us, hence why their budget is pretty meager. If they were to invest more into advertising these movies would need to sell more to recoup the cost, and I’m not sure they would be able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    To be fair these animated features are basically aimed at hardcore fans like us, hence why their budget is pretty meager. If they were to invest more into advertising these movies would need to sell more to recoup the cost, and I’m not sure they would be able to do that.
    You may be right. We don't have access to their internal data to make more educated guesses, but there have to be better ways of getting those movies out to more people. Charging the same for a digital download or streaming file as a physical disc is goddamn stupid, frankly.

I thought it was great that they released the films for free eventually on DC Universe, but with that service going out I'm not sure what's next.

is there a list of everything produced since, say, 2008?

I thought it was great that they released the films for free eventually on DC Universe, but with that service going out I'm not sure what's next.
    They're watching Disney with Mulan very closely to see how many idiots buy a $30 stream ticket on top of their subscription fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    is there a list of everything produced since, say, 2008?
    You mean like this or?

Mighty Member

I think it's pretty neat that with a meager budget as someone mentioned that the animation and voice acting is still pretty good. The only one where the VA wasn't so great was, surprisingly, The Killing Joke. You have Kevin Conroy and Mark Hammil back in their roles, and they sound...tired? Or disinterested. Maybe it's something that needs repeat viewings.