Page 89 of 152 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 2280

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Please not another animated movie universe. Just do an animated series if you want a connected universe.

Just do great standalone movies. Damn.
    This, this is what I'm praying for, and that all this universe theorizing is wrong. I'm sick of everything needing to be connected. Just make good stand alone movies and don't carry on some continuity between films.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Please not another animated movie universe. Just do an animated series if you want a connected universe.

Just do great standalone movies. Damn.
    I mean, I know opinions on the Tucker era are divided, but a connected universe doesn't really negate great standalone movies in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    This, this is what I'm praying for, and that all this universe theorizing is wrong. I'm sick of everything needing to be connected. Just make good stand alone movies and don't carry on some continuity between films.
    1. As Frontier mentioned, having a connected universe doesn't negate having great standalone movies

2. What the connected universe really gave us was a chance to see characters featured that we never would have seen had they been focused on standalones only. Do you really think we'd have seen an animated John Constantine had they not been able to connect him through Batman? The Judas Contract was literally one of the first three movies announced for the animated originals lineup but they didn't actually make it until they were able to introduce the Titans in Justice League vs Teen Titans, and Jaime Reyes really had no other chance to get into one of these without it. I know that the world was completely destroyed before we could see it, but it was pretty much Connor Kent's (and Steel's) only shot at getting featured in a movie that wasn't just the Death and Return of Superman, and when they did a standalone version both of them were removed to simplify it. If you ever want to see a movie greenlit again that isn't Batman or Superman, a connected universe is pretty much your only option

3. If they wanted to make that transition, literally the least they could do would have been to give the universe they've been building an ending that isn't "Everybody and everything is dead and there is no future and no hope."

Astonishing Member

The thing I disliked about their last attempt at a connected universe was I really didn't care for the designs of any of the characters. Or the characterizations. Or the plots. All these things just spilled from one movie to the next regardless who headlined it and it just kinda ruined the whole thing for me. It was like if every DC book was written and penciled by your least favorite creative team. I know a lot of this was based on the Nu 52, but at least with the Nu 52 there was a distinctive creative team and approach with each book.

I really do miss the old stand alone movies of the pre connected universe era, especially the adaptations like DKR, Red Hood, New Frontier, The Elite, etc. Although some of the newer one's aren't bad either, like Harley Quinn, Ninja, and Soul of the Dragon.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    The thing I disliked about their last attempt at a connected universe was I really didn't care for the designs of any of the characters. Or the characterizations. Or the plots. All these things just spilled from one movie to the next regardless who headlined it and it just kinda ruined the whole thing for me. It was like if every DC book was written and penciled by your least favorite creative team. I know a lot of this was based on the Nu 52, but at least with the Nu 52 there was a distinctive creative team and approach with each book.

I really do miss the old stand alone movies of the pre connected universe era, especially the adaptations like DKR, Red Hood, New Frontier, The Elite, etc. Although some of the newer one's aren't bad either, like Harley Quinn, Ninja, and Soul of the Dragon.
    I don't think the designs were bad. I mean, if you didn't care for the art style in general, I get it, but the characters and costumes still looked recognizable and detailed.

And they moved on from the New 52 pretty fairly early into the run of films, and I think the plots of the movies started picking up as a result.

(I'd take five Tucker movies over Batman and Harley Quinn, but that's just me).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think the designs were bad. I mean, if you didn't care for the art style in general, I get it, but the characters and costumes still looked recognizable and detailed.

And they moved on from the New 52 pretty fairly early into the run of films, and I think the plots of the movies started picking up as a result.

(I'd take five Tucker movies over Batman and Harley Quinn, but that's just me).
    See, I specifically like Harley Quinn as much as I did because it had nothing to do with the Tucker movies. It had a sense of humor about it that I felt the Tucker movies just lacked to their detriment.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

See, I specifically like Harley Quinn as much as I did because it had nothing to do with the Tucker movies. It had a sense of humor about it that I felt the Tucker movies just lacked to their detriment.
    I feel like it was as unnecessarily crass and explicit as some of the Tucker movies could get, which is why I didn't care for it.

That Harley Quinn movie was probably the worst DC animated thing made since B:TAS started.

Embarrassing for everyone involved.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-27-2021 at 12:23 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    That Harley Quinn movie was probably the worst DC animated thing made since B:TAS started.

Embarrassing for everyone involved.
    I'd still take that over any of the interconnected movies any day. At the end of the day, I just found them rather forgettable.

I feel like it was as unnecessarily crass and explicit as some of the Tucker movies could get, which is why I didn't care for it.
    That's exactly the reason I did care for it. It was just a very nice change of pace for me compared to how bland I felt the interconnected movies were.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-27-2021 at 12:46 PM.

I'd still take that over any of the interconnected movies any day. At the end of the day, I just found them rather forgettable.

That's exactly the reason I did care for it. It was just a very nice change of pace for me compared to how bland I felt the interconnected movies were.
    I mean, I just cited an element that was present as much in the Tucker movies, but I guess they weren't going for full-on comedies so it stood out more? I dunno .

Astonishing Member

I mean, I just cited an element that was present as much in the Tucker movies, but I guess they weren't going for full-on comedies so it stood out more? I dunno .
    I don't necessarily see why that's a bad thing. These are very versatile characters. For example, I enjoy Dick Sprang's Batman every bit as much as I do Lee Bermejo's.

Like I said, it was just a nice change of pace from the interconnected movies, which I've already stated that I didn't care for.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-27-2021 at 01:31 PM.

I don't necessarily see why that's a bad thing. These are very versatile characters. For example, I enjoy Dick Sprang's Batman every bit as much as I do Lee Bermejo's.

Like I said, it was just a nice change of pace from the interconnected movies, which I've already stated that I didn't care for.
    I mean, I get it, it's why I enjoy the Elseworlds films, I just don't think B&HQ was that good of one .

Justice League vs Fatal Five was a much better return to the DCAU in my opinion.

Astonishing Member

I mean, I get it, it's why I enjoy the Elseworlds films, I just don't think B&HQ was that good of one .

Justice League vs Fatal Five was a much better return to the DCAU in my opinion.
    I liked that one, too. Not as much, though, because I just felt they played it way too safe. I would kinda describe it as one the lesser episodes of Justice League (but then again, I kinda felt that show played it on the safe side, too, until they expanded their ranks with Unlimited).
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-27-2021 at 02:09 PM.

I liked that one, too. Not as much, though, because I just felt they played it way too safe. I would kinda describe it as one the lesser episodes of Justice League (but then again, I kinda felt that show played it on the safe side, too, until they expanded their ranks with Unlimited).
    Well, it was "safe" up until Emerald Empress started vaporizing dudes.

But if safe means better storytelling, than safe it is for me .

Astonishing Member

Well, it was "safe" up until Emerald Empress started vaporizing dudes.

But if safe means better storytelling, than safe it is for me .
    That's not exactly what I was referring to when I called it "safe." Of course they get more leeway in the violence and language dept being a standalone movie. More like a bit too straightforward with very few surprises.