Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dazzler, Longshot and Shatterstar...should the truth be told?

Should Shatterstar (if still alive) tell his parents that he's their son?

I mean, I would wanna know if I had a full grown child running around. HELL, Scott and Jean could write a book on this subject. Lol

Sorry, just reread some old X-Factor issues and I really wanna see the look on Dazzler and Longshot's faces when Shatterstars explain his origin...lol
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Longshot knows about it already. It's implicit in the way he broke into when Shatterstar was about (maybe) to tell Rictor the truth, and mainly in the way he looked at him when Shatterstar denied him as a regular Judas.

Plus, there is a scene (I can't find the pic --anyone help?) in which Shatterstar used Longshot as a living "anchor" in order to open an interdimensional portal --he explained openly that he needed someone with whom he must have a "special connection", and Rictor (his lover) was not good enough for this role. So he needed someone with family tie. Longshot may seem a fool for some people, but he can put two and two together.

Anyway, my theory:

1. Longshot is a psychometric.
    2. Longshot and Shatterstar have (unavoidably) come into contact now and then.
    3. Longshot have been then perfectly able to "read" Shatterstar's past and origin --Longshot's own past and origin.

IMO, the turning point was the issue in which Shatterstar "miraculously" resurrected Longshot from his apparent death with, presumably, a "touch of life".

Oh, and regarding Dazzler... I guess she has no clue. But, honestly, I tremble with the thought of she finding out (please, wipe Longshot's mind before this could happen!).
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 02-07-2016 at 09:14 AM.

There is always the possibility that Shot might mention it to Dazzler, just by the by, while sexting.

lol!!!!

Regarding this subject, some issues are going round my head lately. I've just read for second time Mike Allred's 'Red Rocket 7' (BTW, if you don't yet, you should totally DO!) and I was wondering...

1. Is Longshot fertile?

2. Does he grow old?

My bet to this first question was 'no' (in fact, Longshot's file in the old Official Handbook of the MU literally said: "Known relatives: Inapplicable"), but I'm afraid that Jim Lee (hell with him) threw it overboard in that fateful X-Men #11.

The fact is, Arize built the slaves for the Spineless with genetic engineering as adult creatures. What's the point in making them fertile beings? Actually, I think it won't be a sensible choice to let them breed out of control --that's the way revolution starts. Ergo, IMHO, this is one of the many Lee's mistakes that, sadly, are canon now.

As for the second question... I haven't considered before, but keeping in mind that strange "healing factor" that Longshot showed in the third issue of his former miniseries, you could think that Arize wanted his creatures to be extremely durable --just like robots. After all, they were built to work as servants, and nobody (I mean, nobody sensible) wants to change the fridge every year.

Shatterstar is different because he was born from an earthling woman --half his genes are human. He was a baby, then a child, then a young man, and presumably he will be an old man and finally he will die. In the same manner, he could maybe procreate.

Given that Longshot was made from Shatterstar's DNA, we could maybe deduce that he get from him his reproducing ability (and maybe his aging ability?), in the craziest loop ever. Longshot would be then an exceptional one among Arize's creatures (as the old good developer said himself, actually). But I stick to my guns: spineless' slaves are logically designed sterile.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 02-08-2016 at 06:28 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Regarding this subject, some issues are going round my head lately. I've just read for second time Mike Allred's 'Red Rocket 7' (BTW, if you don't yet, you should totally DO!) and I was wondering...

1. Is Longshot fertile?

2. Does he grow old?

My bet to this first question was 'no' (in fact, Longshot's file in the old Official Handbook of the MU literally said: "Known relatives: Inapplicable"), but I'm afraid that Jim Lee (hell with him) threw it overboard in that fateful X-Men #11.

The fact is, Arize built the slaves for the Spineless with genetic engineering as adult creatures. What's the point in making them fertile beings? Actually, I think it won't be a sensible choice to let them breed out of control --that's the way revolution starts. Ergo, IMHO, this is one of the many Lee's mistakes that, sadly, are canon now.

As for the second question... I haven't considered before, but keeping in mind that strange "healing factor" that Longshot showed in the third issue of his former miniseries, you could think that Arize wanted his creatures to be extremely durable --just like robots. After all, they were built to work as servants, and nobody (I mean, nobody sensible) wants to change the fridge every year.
    Shatterstar is different because he was born from an earthling woman --half his genes are human. He was a baby, then a child, then a young man, and presumably he will be an old man and finally he will die.
    In what book (title and or issues please) was Shatterstar depicted as a baby, a child, and a young man?

In the same manner, he could maybe procreate.
    Procreate with Rictor??

Given that Longshot was made from Shatterstar's DNA, we could maybe deduce that he get from him his reproducing ability (and maybe his aging ability?), in the craziest loop ever. Longshot would be then an exceptional one among Arize's creatures (as the old good developer said himself, actually). But I stick to my guns: spineless' slaves are logically designed sterile.
    Last edited by ZNOP; 02-08-2016 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Typo correction(s).

Incredible Member

Jim Lee was the artist. Claremont was the writer who came up with this I believe. Your displeasure may be misdirected.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post

I mean, I would wanna know if I had a full grown child running around. HELL, Scott and Jean could write a book on this subject. Lol

Sorry, just reread some old X-Factor issues and I really wanna see the look on Dazzler and Longshot's faces when Shatterstars explain his origin...lol
    1. Did we ever see Alison give birth?
    2. Didn't Alison say she lost her child due to miscarriage?
    3. Didn't Jean Grey telepathically scan Alison and declare she no longer carried the baby?
    4. And, can someone please explain why Benjamin Russell (a runaway from Boston) was physically identical to Shatterstar?

*UEMEUR
    Last edited by ZNOP; 11-02-2017 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Link(s) added.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    *CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP* Thanks! I've been telling the same thing for years!

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Jim Lee was the artist. Claremont was the writer who came up with this I believe. Your displeasure may be misdirected.
    Nope. The writers of X-Men were back then Jim Lee and Scott Lobdell. As far as I know (I may know little, though), Claremont had no influence at all in this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    1. Did we ever see Alison give birth?

X-Factor #259, last page [see above]. Quote: "It's amazing how quickly the baby is born. [...] Allison falls asleep shortly after". I guess you're not considering this 'off panel' because the picture is from outside the house! ;D

2. Didn't Alison say she lost her child due to miscarriage?
    3. Didn't Jean Grey telepathically scan Alison and declare she no longer carried the baby?
    Yep, Alison was pregnant no more then. Why did she say she lost her child, instead of completely forget about it as Shatterstar wanted to? Well, I guess Shatterstar realized that there were more people who previously knew about her pregnance, so this other solution was better. I guess.

4. And, can someone please explain why Benjamin Russell (a runaway from Boston) was physically identical to Shatterstar?

*UEMEUR[/FONT]
    *shrug* No clue. Nobody knows. There are fanfics, and nothing more.

Incredible Member

You are right. The writers were Lobdell and Lee. I like Dazzler and Longshot being Shatterstar's parents though. Much less complicated and ridiculous than what came later. I wish they would have just left that alone.

It's a matter of taste, I guess.

On the contrary, Dazzshot (I think I'm rustling a new term up!) never seemed to me a solid pairing, I never felt love from any of the parts. They sure enjoyed together and they sure enjoyed a lot together in bed, that's all though. I've got the feeling that Longshot would had had sex with any X-woman (or X-man) who would had asked to, everything it's OK for him --Alison was just faster than the others.

This doesn't mean I don't find this pairing interesting. I actually thing they're interesting precisely because it's a relationship without real romantic involvement, something that it's rarely handled in this kind of comics. Their gender roles swap is very interesting, too. That's why the traditional approach loving father + loving mother + cute child (later husband and wife !!! --is there really marriage in Mojoworld??? c'mon!) seemed so disappointing to me...apart from extremely OOC (from my point of view, at least).
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 11-06-2017 at 05:07 AM.

There's also Scattershot to consider.

-Pav, who enjoys this thread...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post

Yes, for sure. I'd like to see that happen. They really are a very special family.
    I love Dazzler, Longshot and Shatterstar.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

It’s time this fledgling family get the same amount of storytelling that the Braddock and the Summer-Greys get. They all need to be in a maxi together. I love Gaveedra having the reflexes of their father and balletic grace and warrior spirit of their mother.

If anyone cares, a couple of months back Liefeld tweeted a confirmation that he always intended Gaveedra to be a Dazzler/Longshot lovechild.