Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    It doesn't really matter if Batman is the one requesting the mission, ultimately he'll be up and away from doing Batman-lite adventures, and the spy trappings will finally give him a unique spin from al that.
    I think ultimately, should this direction pan out, it won't matter. In the near term I have to agree with Rakiduam that the fact this is all done at Batman's behest matters and creates problems (the whole dead to the family thing, etc). They are certainly implying, and indeed stating, that it is going to be more than a maguffin. Now, probably they did not really have a choice. The fact is that until they figure out whether and how this new direction is going to work, they can't definitively break ties with Gotham. Indeed, given the nature and histories of the characters involved, they may never be able to make such a break, or desire to. Still, yeah it matters.

Astonishing Member

But I don't really see why we need to 100% cut ties from Batman. The new direction can work as long as Batman doesn't step in and overshadow Dick, but I just can't be bothered about him having a behind the scenes role. This is still up and away from generic vigilante adventures.

I really do get the whole Batman's shadow problem, but it's time to just accept that Dick will never reach a point where his connection to Batman will be swept under the rug the way his Titans connections have been. It just won't happen. Ultimately, he'll be doing something that has absolutely nothing to do with what Batman is doing in his own several books, and that's good enough for me.

Though I will become annoyed as hell if Grayson gets sucked into the next Batman crossover. Though I imagine there won't be any of those for the duration of Eternal.
    Last edited by Kid A; 06-23-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    most interesting to me was the line about Dick staying true to his character while surrounded by all these reasons to not do so.
    That's the mark of a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    I'm not following you here. Dick was called Batman-lite because he was basically acting like Batman, just wearing a different costume. Becoming a spy takes him far out of that league. That Batman happens to be the macguffin that gets him into the spy agency in the first place doesn't make him Batman-lite, let alone more Batman-lite than the first 29 issues of New 52 Nightwing.
    Yeah, but I think Dick works better as a hero rather than a spy when it comes down to it. He's is one of the most personable and grounded heroes in comics and I think that makes him quite unique among other heroes. He doesn't do well with hiding and operating in the shadows like we've seen when he ran the Outsiders. Batman had to bail him out of that situation. I think the fact that he has to become a spy because he can't stand on his own as a hero says a lot more about the character than needing the Titans does.

Astonishing Member

I think Dick is flexible enough to work in a variety of situations, the spy direction being as good as any really. The physical stunts, the charming undercover personas, etc. it really suits him perfectly.

I think he hates lying to people, so I don't know if the undercover aspect really suits him that much to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I think he hates lying to people, so I don't know if the undercover aspect really suits him that much to be honest.
    People hate waking up early in the morning to go to work, yet they still do it because it needs to be done.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Whereas during his time as a costumed vigilante he was totally honest with everyone all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    People hate waking up early in the morning to go to work, yet they still do it because it needs to be done.
    Yeah. But in fairness, policemen hate killing other people, too, but it needs to be done. So, when is one violation of personality allowable, and another not?

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    Yeah. But in fairness, policemen hate killing other people, too, but it needs to be done. So, when is one violation of personality allowable, and another not?
    Personal sacrifice. Dick doesn't have to like what he's doing but if there's a reason for it, he could accept that it's for the greater good.

Above all else, the "he doesn't like lying" thing is just a weak argument, because as Claude pointed out right after me, everyone who puts on a mask is lying.

This "mission" is actually pretty fitting for Dick. He's protecting other superheros. Watching their backs from the shadows. Which when u think about it, who's better at watching peoples backs then Dick. They could really play with that too. It doesn't necessarily have to end after his current "mission". After that one he could then undertake other missions where he's stopping different threats to other superheroes. That could be his thing as a super spy. Protecting other heroes from unseen threats, from the shadows.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-23-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Personal sacrifice. Dick doesn't have to like what he's doing but if there's a reason for it, he could accept that it's for the greater good.

Above all else, the "he doesn't like lying" thing is just a weak argument, because as Claude pointed out right after me, everyone who puts on a mask is lying.
    Fair enough. But, as I say, that reasoning applies to all manner of situations. If he were placed in a situation where killing is clearly for the greater good (and there are any number of scenarios where that could happen) would that be allowable within the context of the story and character? Personally, I would have no problem with it at all. But I'm just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    This "mission" is actually pretty fitting for Dick. He's protecting other superheros. Watching their backs from the shadows. Which when u think about it, who's better at watching peoples backs then Dick. They could really play with that too. It doesn't necessarily have to end after his current "mission". After that one he could then undertake other missions where he's stopping different threats to other superheroes. That could be his thing. Protecting other heroes from unseen threats from the shadows.
    That's very true, and I could easily see the book evolve in that direction should it be a success. I don't think it's the mission, per se that is the problem, it's that the particular set up and execution have been fraught with all manner of mess and trouble and very poor decisions. But, if things go well, such a role for Dick would be very fitting in the long term.

If his "work" didn't feel like such an ass pull then maybe I could get behind it more. Having to lie to the people he is closest to because Bruce thinks he should while going on a mission Bruce can't be bothered with to deal with himself just bugs me. I seriously doubt that Spyral going after other heroes will have any lasting impact, given there was no set up for it aside from a horribly rushed Nightwing #30 and DC had no plans to use Spyral until Seeley brought them back from the dead. This all just feels like a holding place for Dick until they figure out what to do next to me still.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Whereas during his time as a costumed vigilante he was totally honest with everyone all the time?
    You know what I meant. Him having to lie to the people he is closest to and pretend to be dead is just an aspect I can't get behind. I fucking hate that Johns saddled the character with all this crap when they actually have a potentially talented team on a Nightwing/Grayson book.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    This "mission" is actually pretty fitting for Dick. He's protecting other superheros. Watching their backs from the shadows. Which when u think about it, who's better at watching peoples backs then Dick. They could really play with that too. It doesn't necessarily have to end after his current "mission". After that one he could then undertake other missions where he's stopping different threats to other superheroes. That could be his thing as a super spy. Protecting other heroes from unseen threats, from the shadows.
    Awesome point made here! I feel the premise of the series could be taken in so many directions, that it's not just limited to Batman saying "stop spyral from outting my secret identity." It really lends itself to branch off into other heroes books etc. Who knows it could become an ongoing thing where upon victory in big events we see Dick off in the background in disguise, and you begin to realize times he subtly turned the tide in the storyline to help assure victory for the good guys.

Part of the cool aspect to me will be seeing how good of a double agent Dick will have to be to fool Spyral, by secretly sabotaging their plans without revealing his own agenda.