Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Will darkseid war lead to rebirth?

My guess:

The conclusion of darkseid war will make rebirth happen.

Here's why. Look at the comic descriptions of these upcoming issues on the dc site

Justice league 49 description

In this, the penultimate chapter of the critically-acclaimed epic "Darkseid War," the fate of the Justice League and the entire universe is on the line! But can even the combined might of the Justice Gods contend with the secret machinations of Grail, the deadly daughter of Darkseid? Death, rebirth and the life of one of the members of the League changed forever!

(Note rebirth)

Justice league 50

This is it!! The massive, 48-page conclusion to the critically-acclaimed “DARKSEID WAR” can hardly be contained between two covers! Don’t miss the final fates of the world’s greatest heroes and villains, along with world-changing revelations for Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. It doesn’t get bigger than this as DC’s monthly super hero event comic sets the stage for the next year and beyond!

Read between the lines. Darkseid resets the universe

Final fates? Are they bold enough to kill all their characters of new 52? Actually kill them and reset it?

Astonishing Member

Don't we already know or guess that Darkseid War will lead to some sort of Crisis 30th Anniversary Event with the Anti-Monitor?

When is the official anniversary?

Quote Originally Posted by mortymantis View Post
    My guess:

The conclusion of darkseid war will make rebirth happen.

Here's why. Look at the comic descriptions of these upcoming issues on the dc site

Justice league 49 description

In this, the penultimate chapter of the critically-acclaimed epic "Darkseid War," the fate of the Justice League and the entire universe is on the line! But can even the combined might of the Justice Gods contend with the secret machinations of Grail, the deadly daughter of Darkseid? Death, rebirth and the life of one of the members of the League changed forever!

(Note rebirth)

Justice league 50

This is it!! The massive, 48-page conclusion to the critically-acclaimed “DARKSEID WAR” can hardly be contained between two covers! Don’t miss the final fates of the world’s greatest heroes and villains, along with world-changing revelations for Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. It doesn’t get bigger than this as DC’s monthly super hero event comic sets the stage for the next year and beyond!

Read between the lines. Darkseid resets the universe

Final fates? Are they bold enough to kill all their characters of new 52? Actually kill them and reset it?
    Y'know... for some reason... I was looking at the Wikipedia page for New Coke and this struck me...
    Note the bold...

Coke spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out where it had made a mistake, ultimately concluding that it had underestimated the public reaction of the portion of the customer base that would be alienated by the switch. This would not emerge for several years afterward, however, and in the meantime the public simply concluded that the company had, as Keough suggested, failed to consider the public's attachment to the idea of what Coke's old formula represented. While that has become conventional wisdom in the ensuing years, some analyses have suggested otherwise.

This populist version of the story served Coke's interests, however, as the whole episode did more to position and define Coca-Cola as a brand embodying values distinct from Pepsi than any deliberate effort to do so probably could have done. Allowing itself to be portrayed as a somewhat clueless large corporation forced to back off a big change by overwhelming public pressure flattered customers (as Keough put it, "We love any retreat which has us rushing toward our best customers with the product they love the most.") Bottles and cans continued to bear the "Coca-Cola Classic" title until 2009 when the company announced that it would discontinue the use of "Classic" to avoid confusion with the younger generation.

While in the short term the fiasco led Bill Cosby to end his advertising for Coke, saying his commercials that praised the superiority of the new formula had hurt his credibility, no one at Coca-Cola was fired or otherwise held responsible for what is still widely perceived as a misstep, for the simple reason that it ultimately wasn't. When Goizueta died in 1997, the company's share price was at a level well above what it was when he had taken over 16 years earlier and its position as market leader even more firmly established. At the time Roger Enrico, then head of Pepsi's American operations, likened New Coke to the Edsel. Later, when he was himself PepsiCo's CEO, he modified his assessment of the situation, saying that had people been fired or demoted over New Coke, it would have sent a message that risk-taking was strongly discouraged at the company.
    Could Rebirth really be a power play by DC to look like they care more about their fans than Marvel?
    Could we be seeing a return of the classic versions of their major heroes with covers proclaiming, "Back, Because YOU Demanded It!!"?
    While still striking a balance where New52 still happened so current readers (who are mostly just reading Justice League and Batman, anyway) will stick around?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Y'know... for some reason... I was looking at the Wikipedia page for New Coke and this struck me...
    Note the bold...

Could Rebirth really be a power play by DC to look like they care more about their fans than Marvel?
    Could we be seeing a return of the classic versions of their major heroes with covers proclaiming, "Back, Because YOU Demanded It!!"?
    While still striking a balance where New52 still happened so current readers (who are mostly just reading Justice League and Batman, anyway) will stick around?
    I hope so I really do

It is possible that Batman might make a mistake and hit the reset button by accident in the mobius chair.

I think Darkseid War might in some way lead to something that will then in turn lead to the Convergence heroes recombining to stop/fix themselves. And THAT is what Rebirth ultimately is.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

It's likely given the solicit for issue 50 I'd say it's probably to make the Trinity have a stronger connection "shocking revelations for the Trinity" New52 for the supposed Trinity comic. Which I don't mind cause I don't want JL Trinity focused.

I'm calling the Death, Rebirth, and Life changed forever being either for Flash or Shazam they seem the most likely to me. Flash already being the God of Death and usually fundamental to the Multiverse and Shazam not having a title and him staying at the role he is wouldn't be to surprising to me he seems to most likely to change

As far as the book goes I'm just curios to Superwoman's baby and how it will play into all of this.

As far as the DC Universe goes I'm not wanting a reboot of any sort what's done is done pretty much but in the end I'd probably still at least check it out.. I'd prefer overall a remolding but the characters being the same, any Pre-Flashpoint concept they want thrown in could just be adapted to the Post-Flashpoint
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 02-07-2016 at 11:17 PM.

BANNED

Whatever happens, I hope Lex Luthor as the ruler of Apokolips sticks for a while. It has potential for good storytelling if the perfect writer is involved. Too bad, Darkseid War was self contained and not a huge event. At least if it was a big event, I would be able to buy the fact that the aftermath could have repercussions for the DCU.

Yeah I think that's the consensus amongst fans. Rebirth is announced right as Darkseid War is coming to a close. this chapter of Johns' Justice League is pretty much the bookend to Origins which kicked off the New 52 relaunch. Not only that but the story features the Anti-Monitor and it's the 30th anniversary of Crisis on Infinite Earths. So "all signs point to yes".

I do like the idea of Darkseid's death and/or rebirth causing a reality altering event. In Final Crisis the fall of Darkseid was altering time-space and was sucking earth into a singularity. He's a force of nature and a lynchpin for the whole DC universe.

Maybe Mobius does not like his new name so he reboots everything.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I doubt it. I anticipate a more or less half-hearted initiative with minimal, Monkey's Paw type results. For example, I anticipate the new JSA book to bear a passing resemblance to the “older” JSA, and they may or may not begin to (re)intigrate visual elements missing in the post-Flashpoint era but they'll also cut out things like the multi-generational aspect of the JSA and totally gut from the “re-imagined” JSA anything other than the most superficial resemblance to their previous incarnations.

DC comics seems to view its role as being supplemental to licensed images and not the reverse. It seems to me at this point DC could read 10,000 impassioned letters to bring back Jack Knight (hypothetical) and they'd respond by giving us a 20 year old college student who looks like Jack and is named Jack but who loves being a superhero and collects vintage cell pones while living in Seattle or Baltimore… in short, a character with only the most superficial similarity to Jack Knight and then when that book falls through DC will put its hands on its face and say “ We only wanted to give you want you asked for, why didn't you support us?"
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

A mistake would be going back when they should be moving forward.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

It would be a good way to get from here to "there," assuming that we're right about where "there" will be.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    A mistake would be going back when they should be moving forward.
    Actually, now that you put it that way I'm quite certain that to some extent this is precisely the move DC will make!

I haven't had a chance to scoff at Flashpoint or the New 52 construct in a while, but it did seem odd to me that after the 2006-2010 period where DC had been effortlessly kind of Rebirthing or Morrisoning these just ultimate holistic "we embrace the Golden, Silver, Bronze, Dark and Modern Age" complete versions of characters and were still just telling new stories or refashioning or repurposing old villains into new storylines, using the kind of built-in nostalgia or iconic status as a springboard for "The new jams", that they decided to do a half-assed attempt at a clean slate.

I mean we'd almost very nearly passed through the Silver Age Renaissance into what would have been an amazing Bronze Age Renaissance. We still got traces of that Bronze Age Renaissance, though, and are still getting the occasional throwback - typically the New 52/DC You works that have resonated the best critically and sales-wise.

Anyway, just thinking back to previous mentions, yeah, I have speculated wildly recently to myself that perhaps the "COIE ANNIVERSARY" angle might translate into something akin to the end of COIE itself, where the old version of Mainstream Prime Earth and the new version have to fuse back together to save the cosmos, under the pretense guise of "fixing a mistake" that's also a metatextual pretense of "fixing a mistake" and making it look like it was planned to give us an Edgy Grim NeoDark Age universe for a while but for it to all hit the reset button under the banner of "DC Heroes Should Be Aspirational and Classic, Not Young and Brash". Anyway, suffice it to say, they literally skipped from Silver Age Renaissance, OVER Bronze Age Renaissance, into Dark Age Renaissance. Nevermind the fact that all current DC fandom essentially is rooted in Bronze Age DCU, the brainchildren of Denny and Neal and Jack and Giffen, and Len Wein and the Pauls Levitz and Kupperberg. The Batman Revival, its directly influencing the 90s Animated Series, the transition from Kirby to Byrne-era Superman and it's influence of that TV series as well, and on and on.

But I've always rather liked DC's tendency to do that metatextual note in their crisis erasures, to try to have their cake and eat it too with the fans whenever they do a cosmic rejiggering. Sometimes writers really spin gold out of those ridiculous behind-the-scenes decisions.

But yeah, I want my Bronze Age Renaissance.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 02-08-2016 at 11:23 AM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com