Spectacular Member

Default Would anyone else like to see Hulk 2099 return?

I love the look of this hulk as he was a cross between venom, with the tongue, and the hulk's bulking mass.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

He never grabbed me. His feature in Marvel 2099 Unlimited was always the low point of the issue for me.

If someone had a great pitch, sure, they should give it a shot, but I'm not sure there's enough sell in the character to justify working to find a great pitch.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Well we did see him recently in Secret Wars 2099 and Roberta ended up in the present so who knows what the future brings especially if Miguel figures out how to fix 2099.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

That would be cool, yes, and I found it interesting that the Hulk personality was actually the more heroic of the two and it was the human identity that was truly dangerous and amoral, at least at the beginning.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Maybe the missing Bruce Banner has jumped into the future and become the new Hulk 2099?

Hulk 2099 was a '90s character in the worst way. He was a case of aggressive masculinity, all about what it means to be "a REAL man." Ravage fell into the same crap. It's toxic masculinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Hulk 2099 was a '90s character in the worst way. He was a case of aggressive masculinity, all about what it means to be "a REAL man." Ravage fell into the same crap. It's toxic masculinity.
    Interesting point there. Would you like to elaborate? Totally sincere here, and you can even PM me if you don't want to elaborate in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Interesting point there. Would you like to elaborate? Totally sincere here, and you can even PM me if you don't want to elaborate in this thread.
    His whole thing was about how modern society had gotten soft, and he was better because he tapped into the primal part of the human psyche. He wasn't one of those weak, sissy men who use words as their weapons. He was a REAL man! Which meant he was strong and violent. Because that's how Real Men are supposed to operate.

Admittedly, I've only read a couple of Hulk 2099 stories. But that was the actual message that was stated through the text: That modern society weakened men, and a return to older ways of being wild and untamed was what men needed. That a strong man was superior to a smart man.

He's a character who promotes ideals of toxic masculinity.

iMan 42s

Haven't seen much Hulk 2099 but I feel there is good that can be done with him. Anyone can be good under the write writer. On the topic of toxic masculinity though doesn't the Hulk itself fall into that category considering he is a man who is stronger than everyone and boats about it, encourages anger, doesn't take responsibility for his children thinking its better to send one off with money instead of doing any actual parenting, that he believes he has to be strong and better than everyone including the hulk ladies, and that he encourages violence even when it isn't needed.

I'm pretty sure the Hulk on its own is a good case of toxic masculinity and for what its worth 2099 might be exaggerating this to some extent.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Since Ravage got brought up, I liked what Mills did, briefly, with him, because like Punisher 2099 (but in other directions), it completely satirized that hard man lone rebel bs. Weepy, confused hard man Ravage is the best Ravage.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Tiamatty, SuperiorIronman, you both bring up excellent points, and to some extent, the Hulk in his myriad incarnations could be deconstructed as the embodiment of the raging beast even men seem to want to think they are deep down, really more of an excuse for them to act destructively and violently and not take responsibility for those actions. Hell, it's been said on more than one occasion that Bruce Banner's Hulk is really a child with the body and power of a titan, which could also segue into the immaturity and childishness at the root of toxic masculinity, more politely known as machismo. Given his history of having been severely abused as a child along with his mother by his father and how the Hulk is basically a supercharged avatar of the rage Bruce felt at his own powerlessness, I could see the Hulk as an unintentional breeding ground for deconstructions of machismo/toxic masculinity. Then there's Amadeus Cho's arc and how it's building up to the revelation that he's not as in control of his inner beast as he thinks he is and him finding that out at the worst possible moment, with the worst possible consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Tiamatty, SuperiorIronman, you both bring up excellent points, and to some extent, the Hulk in his myriad incarnations could be deconstructed as the embodiment of the raging beast even men seem to want to think they are deep down, really more of an excuse for them to act destructively and violently and not take responsibility for those actions. Hell, it's been said on more than one occasion that Bruce Banner's Hulk is really a child with the body and power of a titan, which could also segue into the immaturity and childishness at the root of toxic masculinity, more politely known as machismo. Given his history of having been severely abused as a child along with his mother by his father and how the Hulk is basically a supercharged avatar of the rage Bruce felt at his own powerlessness, I could see the Hulk as an unintentional breeding ground for deconstructions of machismo/toxic masculinity. Then there's Amadeus Cho's arc and how it's building up to the revelation that he's not as in control of his inner beast as he thinks he is and him finding that out at the worst possible moment, with the worst possible consequences.
    Joe Casey did an amazingly vicious What If...? where Bruce was an abusive husband and Hulk was childhood optimism.

I occasionally wonder if that's what PAD was playing at with his cocksure and overly domineering/condescending "cured" Hulk, at times, or if the author really meant that to be the healthy persona. It's a type he's used elsewhere, straight, but also, it did fall apart pretty brutally, and hardly anyone actually liked the guy, as I recall.

BANNED

To be completely honest I really liked the Hulk 2099 even if no other reader like him. The Hulk 2099 was an interesting attempt to subvert and change adapting to the new times the original idea of Hulk. I liked the concept and liked to think that the legacy of Bruce Banner and the Hulk could rather be passed on to an heir and found interesting reverse dichotomy that existed between the Hulk 2099 and his human alter ego John Eisenhart putting that when he became the , emerald goliath of the future John was more heroic and when he was in human identity he was a complete scoundrel, manipulative, cowardly and that in many ways the "monster" was actually Eisenhart not the Hulk 2099. Amazingly I liked the most animalistic and wild look of the Hulk 2099 he was slightly similar to the look of The Pitt of Full Bleed Studios and not considered "horrible" but imposing and majestic. I loved his stories and honestly I was very sad when the Hulk 2099 was apparently killed by agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Under orders from John Anthony Herod in 2099 A.D. Apocalypse. He was simply transformed into a sieve by agents equipped with gamma radiation weapons, which filled him with shots, which was a pathetic end as "kill a Hulk" was something so ridiculously simple. The original Hulk simply crushed the entire Marvel Universe in World War Hulk and there was no one to stop him even the omnipotent "Superman of Marvel Comics" Sentry already the Hulk 2099 was also killed in the title of the Exiles after having her body possessed by the mutant Proteus what after consuming their vital energy abandoned him as an empty shell killed. The Hulk 2099 never really had many fans like Spider-Man 2099 he was more like someone tried to follow the legacy of the Hulk but try as he might and more that could not conquer. I really enjoyed seeing him in Secret Wars as a member of the Defenders 2099 but I doubt that any other reader or writer is willing to explore he further. The Hulk 2099 turned out to be an ambitious idea but was terribly worked and badly used and that is unlikely to have more relevance than a supporting character in Marvel Comics titles of which is a pity. I liked the Hulk 2099 would have liked to see a meeting between the Hulk / Bruce Banner and the characters of Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. as they did in the episode in which the giants gamma met a version of Maestro but I think I'll never see it.
    Last edited by Sansomon; 03-06-2016 at 08:12 AM.

iMan 42s

Maestro would be the perfect villain for Hulk 2099 in that both are from similar time frames and from two radically different 2099's. Being that Maestro is the most evil Hulk out of all of them, it would be in great contrast to John who was more heroic in the Hulk form but just as much of a scoundrel as a person. It would be a cool story exploring what really defines the monster in what the Hulk is.
    As I said earlier, any writer can make any character great. It feels to me like Hulk 2099 is simply waiting for the right writer and story to be made because there is a lot of potential with a Hulk dynamic like that.

I also find it kind of funny that the demonic looking Hulk is ironically the hero.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.