Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Default Resident Evil Series

Oh Resident Evil, a once proud game series that has fallen on hard times. I still love this series, despite Capcom and Sony's best attempts to turn it RE into Call of Duty.

My favorite games in the series are:

Resident Evil REmake
    Resident Evil 2
    Resident Evil 3
    Resident Evil 4
    Resident Evil Code Veronica

I have a lot of fond memories of these games and I try to play each one at least once a year. Please share your favorites.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The series hasn't fallen on hard times at all. If you check on Capcom's Financial website, RE5 and RE6 are the best selling games in the company's history. Revelations 2 is a good game and was another success for them. The series only fallen to fans of the classic games.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The series hasn't fallen on hard times at all. If you check on Capcom's Financial website, RE5 and RE6 are the best selling games in the company's history. Revelations 2 is a good game and was another success for them. The series only fallen to fans of the classic games.
    I know RE5 was a success, but people liked RE6? Liked it enough to buy it en masse, I mean.

It's not just games like RE6 that are a turn off, but Operation Raccoon City, and Umbrella Corps. Capcom is trying to make RE into Call of Duty with zombies and monster, but that's not why people play RE. It's like they saw the success of RE4 and RE5 with their more action oriented turn and decided to go full Michael Bay with the series.

While RE6 did sell a lot, it had an incredibly large team and budget, so it didn't actually do as good as it first appears.

Anyway, ranking the games I've played, which I've missed a few since I jumped on pretty late I would probably go...

Resident Evil(I played the port of the original version on DS, I have REmake on my steam account but haven't sat down to do a full playthrough yet)
    Resident Evil 4
    Resident Evil: Revelations 2(It's got Barry! The characters having significant differences was a neat experiment)
    Resident Evil 5(Bad partner AI really hurt this game in single player)
    Resident Evil: Revelations(Kinda spins it's wheels about 3/4ths through the game and that story wasn't to intersting
    Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
    Resident Evil 6(Don't hate it as much as most people, but the story is the least interesting(with the most forgettable villain in the entire series) and the game just doesn't teach you mechanics, like how melee counters are way more effective than any gun, also has a problem of Quantity >>> Quality)
    Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City(I bought this for like 5 bucks on a steam sale and that was 10 to many)

No idea who they are trying to sell Umbrella Corps. to, certainly not fans of the series, and even good multiplayer only shooters struggle these days(like Titanfall and Evolve).

I do hope they continue porting the classics to steam, I'd love to finally play through 2 and 3.

I've enjoyed all the main games, perhaps with the exception of 0. Enjoyed Revelations 2, demo for the first dissuaded me from picking it up.

Haven't played the ancillary titles, and I have no idea why they're making games like ORC or Umbrella Corps.

My favorites are the remastered remake and 2; pretty excited about the remake for 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    I know RE5 was a success, but people liked RE6? Liked it enough to buy it en masse, I mean.

It's not just games like RE6 that are a turn off, but Operation Raccoon City, and Umbrella Corps. Capcom is trying to make RE into Call of Duty with zombies and monster, but that's not why people play RE. It's like they saw the success of RE4 and RE5 with their more action oriented turn and decided to go full Michael Bay with the series.
    RE6 gets shitted on a lot by the fanbase. I honestly don't think the game is as bad as many make it out to be. Gameplay for that game is on point. They dropped the ball on everything else though.

ORC and Umbrella Corps are spin-off games. If they don't interest you than ignore them. As long as the mainline series don't end up that way it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot
    While RE6 did sell a lot, it had an incredibly large team and budget, so it didn't actually do as good as it first appears.
    I know that Capcom written off RE6 as a failure but it bombed $6.4 Million. Many other games wish it could bomb those numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot
    No idea who they are trying to sell Umbrella Corps. to, certainly not fans of the series, and even good multiplayer only shooters struggle these days(like Titanfall and Evolve).
    Umbrella Corps is for the e-sports crowd. They have their own eSports league with Capcom Cup and they probably want more games for it.

I've heard the recent Revelations game wasn't too bad? Not sure if that's the name since it sounds kinda generic, but the one on Wii U.
    Personally I was really fond of the GameCube remake and Resident Evil: Zero which is from around that same time.

Also there's some entries on the original Wii, not just the best version of Resident Evil 4 (improved aiming with the remote), but there's two railshooter games. Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles. One of them is pretty mediocre, but the other one is surprisingly fun! Now if only I could remember which was which...

I have Revelations 1, but I haven't finished it.

RE0 was ok, but nothing special. I have both Chronicles games, but no one to play them with.

The RE Outbreak games both sucked.

BANNED

RE6 gets shitted on a lot by the fanbase. I honestly don't think the game is as bad as many make it out to be. Gameplay for that game is on point. They dropped the ball on everything else though.

ORC and Umbrella Corps are spin-off games. If they don't interest you than ignore them. As long as the mainline series don't end up that way it's fine.

I know that Capcom written off RE6 as a failure but it bombed $6.4 Million. Many other games wish it could bomb those numbers.

Umbrella Corps is for the e-sports crowd. They have their own eSports league with Capcom Cup and they probably want more games for it.
    The gameplay for RE6 is pretty fantastic, it's doing some interesting things with the melee system the RE game have had for some time now.. Seems to be a game made more for the open areas of Mercenaries mode more than the main game.

Would anyone care to talk about the series of movies (live action and animated) Sony has made "based" on RE? I find them all to be certain degrees of terrible, but I find the first two live action and the first animated films watchable at least. I watched them all on VUDU this weekend, and I can't help but feel the problems of these films could be fixed, SO EASILY! Instead they've become mindless action movies with zombies and bio-monsters.

BANNED

The only one of those live action movies I've seen that seemed the least bit good was the third one. Also the first of those movies were the zombies actually looked good. Not sure how movies based on a series with such good zombie designs, and I'm talking just normal zombies, not the other monsters, has such shitty looking zombies for two whole movies. Forget about whole crappy those first two movies are, at least they could have had great looking monsters.

I abandoned the movie series when Nemesis had a chance of heart and was killed by being impaled by a pipe. I never felt so much nerd rage in my life.

I like the CG movies much better. I'm waiting on the villain of the second one to make her way to games to become the new main villain. CG movies are canon to the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Would anyone care to talk about the series of movies (live action and animated) Sony has made "based" on RE? I find them all to be certain degrees of terrible, but I find the first two live action and the first animated films watchable at least. I watched them all on VUDU this weekend, and I can't help but feel the problems of these films could be fixed, SO EASILY! Instead they've become mindless action movies with zombies and bio-monsters.
    The CG movies are God awful in my opinion. The live action movies are better, but that's damning with feint praise. I can enjoy the first, third, and fourth, but you'd have to pay me to re-watch the second.

I'm hoping the last movie has some redeemable qualities.

I'm amused at how different all of our opinions are regarding the various forms of RE media. No two fans are alike, I guess.

RE The Final Chapter comes out next January. Here's hoping?

BANNED

The problem with Resident Evil is that it belongs to Capcom but literally most ( if not all ) of the ideas was implemented ( some programmed ) by Shinji Makima.

The movie fan base are not RE fans but film buffs. Same with prime time fans of Arrow and things like that. They think of RE the games as children cartoons. That kind of thinking. Completely unaware of the amount of games being produced or the technology that is being used.

RE games span from handheld phone devices to the GCN and computers. RE4 as with RE2 was scrapped and remade. The RE4 on the PS2 was never meant to be made at all. The debate of RE5 and RE6 always seems be drawn from the idea that RE4 fall out. It was suppose to be like the release of Zelda on the N64. Where players would rent a N64 just to play the game. But that is not how it turned out. That is why we have all of these RE4 clones with issues. Unnoticeable to the newer players.

RE Veronica is where the series ended. With the collapse of Umbrella and it's heir leader being a demented cross dressing maniac. The whole Weskers and Chris thing was only implemented to keep the series going beyond it's time. I think a brand new series was made by Makima.