Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    How would the fans go about getting something like the original games when the things that made those games what they were are outdated?
    Have some action in it, because shooting stuff has always been part of Resident Evil. I'm sure you already know what they're showing at E3 is nothing like what Resident Evil has ever been like, so can't be anything at all like what fans wanted it do go back to.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Have some action in it, because shooting stuff has always been part of Resident Evil. I'm sure you already know what they're showing at E3 is nothing like what Resident Evil has ever been like, so can't be anything at all like what fans wanted it do go back to.
    I played the demo. You can find an axe you can use as a weapon and there's aim assist in the options menu. The game will have weapons. Capcom confirmed that the demo will not be apart of the final game.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Thanks for bringing this thread back.

I saw the trailer and I'm excited for it. I always wanted RE to go back to it's survival horror roots. 'Call of Duty: RE6' was the wrong direction to take the franchise. I bet RE7 will mix classic and modern like RE4 did.

New RE gameplay trailer.

BANNED

Currently on one of my yearly or so replays of the entire series. I swear I actually forget how to play these in between.

I did manage to get an A Rank on Leon's B scenario for the first time in RE2. Unlocked the Hunk minigame and realized I'd probably never complete it. Just too hard.

Then I played Resident Evil 3 and made a point of killing Nemesis every time. Even completely optional times that give you no reward and when it was pointless, wasteful and reckless to kill him so I was always low on ammo. That's the hardest RE challenge I've ever had, it transforms a very easy game into one of the toughest. On the plus side I did get a sweet infinite ammo magnum so I plowed through the latter third of the game like a hot knife through butter.

I played Code Veronica for the first time in the HD version. I always forget how long and tough this game is. You can make mistakes in Code Veronica that can screw your save up and make it easier to start from an earlier point than to go forward. The HD version is also the darkest version ever, visually, there are rooms where you can't see a damn thing.

Now I'm playing the Resident Evil HD Remake. I always start with the original Director's Cut, like I did this time, and usually work in the Gamecube version for the Remake. But this is my newly purchased PC version at high resolution and it's a treat. It's also one of the harder REs, but I find it manageable if you're careful about burning or decapitating zombies to avoid Crimson Heads. It's a bit counterintuitive, but a shotgun blast is not a waste on a regular zombie if it stops a Crimson Head from spawning. I'm super rusty on this, though. I once unlocked the infinite rocket launcher on it, but my current playthrough took all night yesterday.

I guess the next one is Resident Evil 0, I'm kind of dreading the item management nightmare in that game. Then I'm going to try to finally beat Outbreak File One and Two. The only way I can even see myself having a chance is playing those on easy, because the teammate bot AI is suicidally stupid. I think the only one I'm going to skip this time is Revelations 2, because I played it for the first time about a month or so ago and it's too soon to play it again. Oh, and Operation Raccoon City because that one is terrible garbage.

Right before firing these up I played Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles. It was interesting to see how that changed my expectations of some of the environments, especially Code Veronica's because they're simply and brightly lit in Darkside Chronicles. I usually don't play the lightgun games, but because I played Umbrella Chronicles I'm currently debating on whether I want to get Dead Aim and Survivor and add them into the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    because I played Umbrella Chronicles I'm currently debating on whether I want to get Dead Aim and Survivor and add them into the rotation.
    For what it's worth, I've noticed a significant upswing in opinion for Dead Aim among the RE fanbase in recent years. It got dismissed at time of release but looking back on it these days, it's almost a perfect blueprint for what long-term fans seem to want from the series now: retro-flavoured atmosphere and exploration, but in-step with modern ideas about control schemes and whatnot so it doesn't feel like it's deliberately stymieing you.

Survivor on the other hand...some people defend it on the basis of its story (which, despite terrible voice acting, isn't without merit) but no-one has nice things to say about its gameplay. Especially since all non-JPN territories had lightgun support disabled.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    New RE gameplay trailer.

i have doubts about this game

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBatman82 View Post
    i have doubts about this game
    That's understandable. Capcom has lost their way on what made RE so appealing. While games like Deadspace and The Evil Within were doing RE, better than RE was doing itself. Hopefully with VII, they'll return back to survival horror and not Call of Duty RE (like RE5 and RE6).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    That's understandable. Capcom has lost their way on what made RE so appealing. While games like Deadspace and The Evil Within were doing RE, better than RE was doing itself. Hopefully with VII, they'll return back to survival horror and not Call of Duty RE (like RE5 and RE6).
    making it first person was a huge disappointment and mistake by capcom. they should have never done that i don't a have problem with first person but that doesn't fit the RE franchise. i rage quit on The Evil Within by the way i got pretty far to the end. i love dead space i really hope a fourth game will come out on Next gen

BANNED

Beat Resident Evil 0. At 4K it's one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. The character models are a little less detailed than REMake, but the backgrounds are amazing and full of animation.

And now I've moved on to Resident Evil: Outbreak. It's a bit of a tough play, because it's really intended to be played as a multi-player game and I'm playing it solo with the inadequate AI. Playing it on easy makes it possible, though. The only real problem is the that AI constantly, incessantly, unendingly spams the chat button and "barks" a tiny handful of repetitive, annoying phrases. It's driving me mad.

ESRB details for RE7

This is a survival-horror game in which players assume the role of Ethan, a man searching for his missing wife in a derelict mansion. From a first-person perspective, players explore the environment and use pistols, shotguns, flamethrowers, explosives and chainsaws to kill mutant creatures. Combat is accompanied by realistic gunfire, screams of pain, and exaggerated blood-splatter effects. As players progress through the story, cutscenes can depict instances of gore and intense acts of violence: a character’s arm dismembered by a chainsaw; a man’s leg taken off at the knee with a shovel; a character impaled through the face with a shovel. Some areas also depict mutilated corpses with exposed organs/viscera. The words “f**k” and “sh*t” are heard in the dialogue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    For what it's worth, I've noticed a significant upswing in opinion for Dead Aim among the RE fanbase in recent years. It got dismissed at time of release but looking back on it these days, it's almost a perfect blueprint for what long-term fans seem to want from the series now: retro-flavoured atmosphere and exploration, but in-step with modern ideas about control schemes and whatnot so it doesn't feel like it's deliberately stymieing you.

Survivor on the other hand...some people defend it on the basis of its story (which, despite terrible voice acting, isn't without merit) but no-one has nice things to say about its gameplay. Especially since all non-JPN territories had lightgun support disabled.
    Because I don't make great financial decisions I just paid $25 for a complete copy of Survivor and am going to work it into my playthrough. I'll probably get Dead Aim too. I'm considering RE Gaiden for Gameboy Color, but I don't want to pay the current price.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I'm considering RE Gaiden for Gameboy Color, but I don't want to pay the current price.
    Unless the price drops to, like, 25 cents I wouldn't advise Gaiden with a clear conscience. It's pretty much a shambles all over, and it's non-canon to the series anyway. If there's a more skippable RE I can't think of it.

...oh yeah, Gun Survivor 2. But the point still stands!
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

BANNED

I finished Survivor. It's ... interesting. Since the light gun support was never implemented for North America, what you've got is an FPS where you have to stop and aim a cursor to shoot. It actually plays a lot more like an FPS than a lightgun game. There's no way to strafe, but doing well requires you to move your character around in fights and get distance between yourself and the enemies. Fast shooting reflexes alone simply won't cut it.

And for what it is it's well done. It doesn't feel that clunky once you get used to it and there's a thrill to taking down the classic blocky PlayStation enemies in first person. My biggest complaint is that the difficulty can be uneven. Most of the game is very easy but the last boss is tough and frustrating, he takes forever to kill. I made it all the way through, ran out of continues, and had to go back through the entire game making sure to save more ammo and healing items to beat him. Fortunately, although the game does not let you save your progress, it does let you save all the weapons and ammo (but not healing items) that you have collected when you run out of continues or beat the game. You can start your next game with these, which was an advantage on my second playthrough.

There's also a subboss, two giant alligators, about midgame that are even harder than the final boss. They're incredibly cheap and damaging, they get you in a narrow hallway and get in front of and behind you and the best thing to do is avoid them.

You can avoid them because the game has branching paths. It takes about an hour and a half to beat, but there there are points where you can choose between two and sometimes three different areas to explore, often pretty big and varied, and your choices affect what items and weapons you get and have a minor effects on the story. You have to go through at least part of the game three times to collect all the weapons.

The story isn't Shakespeare, but it has a nice twist and is reasonably well-told. It's a bit of a bummer that it's told in cutscenes using the ugly in-engine models, though, there's no impressive CGI like you see in the mainline games. As for canonicity, it COULD HAVE happened, I guess, but there's no need for it to have. There's one reference to Leon and you find out the origin of a Resident Evil 2 enemy. The story is otherwise self-contained.

The graphics are outrageously ugly. The monsters look OK but the human characters somehow look much worse than the ones in the main games. The environments are blocky, low-res PS 3D, but they make up for it with variety, design and color. The soundtrack is pretty good, some interesting tracks and classic RE sounds and moans. The voice acting is bad, but unfortunately not hilariously bad and the script is too well-translated for any oddball quotable lines.

Finally, there's nice Resident Evil flavor to everything. Files, herb mixing, door opening loading screens and most of the classic enemies from the first three games are here along with the most iconic weapons. The only bummer in this area is it skimps on the gore too much, there's no decapitations for head shots.

I think it's worth playing if you're a Resident Evil completionist like me or if you can get it cheap, but not essential.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 08-30-2016 at 08:28 PM.

BANNED

Beat Outbreak. On easy and using a guide, but I don't feel bad about it because it's the only way I was getting through it solo.

Here's an example of how stupid the AI partners are. There's a part where you have to shimmy past a window that occasionally shoots out a gout of flame. There's a huge interval between eruptions, it's not hard to pass. But my AI partner managed to time it just right to get hit by it. When he got hit he fell off and hung from the ledge until he could recover. He took exactly enough time to get up that he could only move about an inch to the left before getting blown off again. And so I sat and watched this ridiculous cycle for about a full minute, being blown off, pulling himself up, being blown off until he finally made enough incremental progress to walk over to me.

More mundane, but just as stupid, there's a boss you can beat in one hit if you can lure it down a narrow corridor and blow up a gas tank. But that's pretty hard to do if your AI partner keeps running up to it and trying to fight it with a knife. He finally died and I finished the level.