Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Golden Age Aquaman

Does anyone know if any Golden Age Aquaman stories were ever collected in any volume ever? I don't believe I've ever seen any and I've looked. I think I've maybe read one Golden Age story in my life and it was probably a reprint in Adventure comics in the 70s. And to add insult to injury it looks as if we're getting a "Celebration of 75 Years" collection for Green Arrow but not for Aquaman. What gives?

BANNED

I remember reading the first issue of Aquaman I was kinda hoping the yellow gloved character Mr. Waterman or whatever would appear on Earth-2 just as a cameo or something.

Did anyone state were not getting a "Celebration of 75 Years" Graphic Novel I could honestly see it just coming out just later in the year and not on Solicitation yet because the whole year isn't shown.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Did anyone state were not getting a "Celebration of 75 Years" Graphic Novel I could honestly see it just coming out just later in the year and not on Solicitation yet because the whole year isn't shown.
    I don't know for a fact we're not. It's just that the Green Arrow one is on Amazon already and since they debuted at the same time...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    I don't know for a fact we're not. It's just that the Green Arrow one is on Amazon already and since they debuted at the same time...
    Wonder Woman has a 75th this year and I couldn't find hers on the DC site so I'm assuming Wonder Woman's, Aquaman's and hopefully Hawkman are coming later.

Green Arrow 75's release date is posted on the DC comics site.

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...on-of-75-years

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    Does anyone know if any Golden Age Aquaman stories were ever collected in any volume ever? I don't believe I've ever seen any and I've looked. I think I've maybe read one Golden Age story in my life and it was probably a reprint in Adventure comics in the 70s. And to add insult to injury it looks as if we're getting a "Celebration of 75 Years" collection for Green Arrow but not for Aquaman. What gives?
    I think the one Golden Age Aquaman story I can remember reading was in this issue:

from back in 1974

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

My copy is in storage somewhere so I'm not sure of the contents, but is the material collected in the Aquaman Archives edition considered Golden Age?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think the one Golden Age Aquaman story I can remember reading was in this issue:

from back in 1974
    I think that's Silver Age?

This thread inspired me to google "golden age aquaman" and here is an important result.

I've been a comics nerd for most of my existence, and I'm kind of ancient, and I had no idea the Golden Age Aquaman had an entirely different origin.

Wonder Woman has a 75th this year and I couldn't find hers on the DC site so I'm assuming Wonder Woman's, Aquaman's and hopefully Hawkman are coming later.

Green Arrow 75's release date is posted on the DC comics site.

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...on-of-75-years
    It's already too late for Hawkman.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    My copy is in storage somewhere so I'm not sure of the contents, but is the material collected in the Aquaman Archives edition considered Golden Age?

Those are all Silver Age.

I think that's Silver Age?
    That issue was published in the Silver / Bronze Age.
    But it reprinted the origins from Detective Comics #38 (April 1940) for Robin and More Fun Comics #73 (November 1941) for Aquaman.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That issue was published in the Silver / Bronze Age.
    But it reprinted the origins from Detective Comics #38 (April 1940) for Robin and More Fun Comics #73 (November 1941) for Aquaman.
    Well, you don't get more Golden Age than that.

Sandy Hausler

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

There's a lot of GA stuff that's never been reprinted. I went looking for some GA Green Arrow stories and they don't exist either. I think there's a lot of pre-Superman stuff that's also never been reprinted. What's interesting is that GA Green Arrow (or GA GA if you will) also had a slightly different origin than his SA counterpart. For one, there was no island. He got stranded on top of a plateau or something with Speedy. Who got stranded there first with some indian guide. It was unnecessarily complicated just like GA Aquaman. It was reprinted in the seventies version of DC Super Heroes Secret Origins. All things considered, the SA origin is a lot better.

Amazing Member

I still think it's pretty likely we'll see a 75th anniversary celebration book for Aquaman later this year, particularly as he's going to at least have a mention in Batman V. Superman it sounds like.

I don't think I've ever seen a golden age Aquaman story either, and there's been enough 'era's of ol' fishpants that he'd be a good candidate for a 'best of' collection.

BANNED

gakirby.jpg

Here is some golden age Green Arrow.