Mighty Member

Default Did azzarello base the n52 amazons off of the undersea amazons of the golden age stories?

they had slaves
    were matriarchs
    and barbaric
    and twisted
    and wonder woman is clearly stronger/better than all of them
    Capture.jpg

It reminded me of something more recent: GOD OF WAR video game storyline with Kratos

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by willienotwilliam View Post
    they had slaves
    were matriarchs
    and barbaric
    and twisted
    Capture.jpg

Isn't that Queen Clea and the Atlanteans?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Isn't that Queen Clea and the Atlanteans?
    yeah the undersea amazons and the atlanteans are the same basically

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

yeah the undersea amazons and the atlanteans are the same basically
    Thanks. All the more reason for the New 52 Queen Clea to try and replace Diana as the Queen of the above water Amazons.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Probably not. Barbaric Amazons are a standard cultural motif. The Amazons in the old Hercules show from the '90s were similar. And all Amazons are, by definition, going to be matriarchal. That word just means "headed by women."

Mighty Member

but did they have slaves? I've never known the amazons to have slaves before and I wouldn't think its a misstep to say Azzarello read golden age wonder woman before writing her but then again i dont know

Yeah. Even in some of the more lurid and horrifying stories in Greek mythology, Amazons kept gimped men as slaves.

Marston's deal was taking that myth and inverting it. But that's still the most common version of them out there.
    Last edited by Bosch; 02-09-2016 at 06:10 PM.

BANNED

but did they have slaves? I've never known the amazons to have slaves before and I wouldn't think its a misstep to say Azzarello read golden age wonder woman before writing her but then again i dont know
    According to himself, Azzarello didn't do a lot of background reading before he began writing. So it's unlikely he would know there were underwater Amazons.

His Amazons were based on the mythological version but added a dash of the trappings to make them Wonder Woman's.

they had slaves
    were matriarchs
    and barbaric
    and twisted
    Capture.jpg
    They weren't Amazons. They were Atlanteans.

In other words, you might metaphorically refer to them as Amazons, because they were a female-dominant society, but in the comics they weren't Amazons. The Amazons were a distinct society living on Paradise Island. This was just a place that happened to be ruled by physically strong women.

And I don't think Azarello was inspired by that or anything from WW's past. He showed basically zero disregard for anything and everything that came before.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    According to himself, Azzarello didn't do a lot of background reading before he began writing. So it's unlikely he would know there were underwater Amazons.

His Amazons were based on the mythological version but added a dash of the trappings to make them Wonder Woman's.
    wow i was at least giving him benefit of the doubt could you imagine batman writers being allowed to write him and not having read his comics before